Windows 10: Can I extend my desktop and duplicate the extended desktop on 2 screen

Discus and support Can I extend my desktop and duplicate the extended desktop on 2 screen in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Howdy, I have a Dell E6430 Laptop with an Intel HD4000 and an Nvidia NVS 5200M card in it. I can use this laptop in a docking station and run on 2... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Kelemvor, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Kelemvor Win User

Can I extend my desktop and duplicate the extended desktop on 2 screen

Howdy,

I have a Dell E6430 Laptop with an Intel HD4000 and an Nvidia NVS 5200M card in it. I can use this laptop in a docking station and run on 2 monitors + the laptop screen for a total of 3 displays.

What I want to do is have the main desktop on the laptop screen and then extend the desktop to the other two screens so they are identical. Basically duplicating the extended desktop. I need to show a presentation on two screens at once that are facing opposite directions.

I've gone into Display Properties and tried all the various extend/duplicate type options I could find but wasn't able to accomplish my goal. Does anyone know if this is possible or if Windows doesn't support this? I was able to get the laptop to duplicate to one screen ans extend to the other but couldn't find a way to extend and then duplicate that.

Hopefully that makes sense.

UPDATE: Forgot to add that I already have a VGA splitter that I can use that accomplishes the same thing but one of my displays is 100' away and when I connect that cable it makes the other display (a projector) get all wonky and show wavy lines moving through the image which isn't acceptable. SO just trying to do it right from within Windows and the Dock.

Thanks!

:)

Kelemvor, Dec 25, 2016

2. Duplicate Display on an external monitor & a projector

Yes, I can extend separate screens to both external monitors, and still keep the desktop on my laptop screen.

However, I cannot duplicate the display on the two external monitors.

KenSleeman, Dec 25, 2016
  3. TMATTHYS Win User
    Is it possible to have different display settings for different virtual desktops?

Original title: virtual desktops

Hello,

Is it possible to have different display settings for different virtual desktops?

Situation, one computer screen and one projector.

I would like to use the projector on one desktop as extended screen to show power point, my screen presenter view projector actual slide, the other desktop needs to use the projector as duplicate display so I can show the vm I am running on that desktop.

At the moment when I change desktops the setting stays the same for both, or duplicate screen or extended display and every time I need to change desktops I have to change the settings as well.

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Thanks for the help.

TMATTHYS, Dec 25, 2016
  4. Can I extend my desktop and duplicate the extended desktop on 2 screen

Hi Kelemvor,
    Can you send me a picture for your setup and your settings before we do anything wrong?

Thanks

Hassan

HassanWael, Dec 25, 2016
  5. CountMike New Member
    That VGA splitter will just make both monitors show same picture, can't extend two displays like that.

CountMike, Dec 25, 2016
  6. Kelemvor Win User
    Not sure what you want a picture of.
    1 Laptop in a docking station
    2 monitors connected to the dock.

I want to have the main desktop on the laptop and the extended desktop on both of the other screens so they are the same.

Using a VGA splitter works just fine since then I just choose Extend and it extends to the splitter which shows the same image on both monitors. I just don't want to have to use the splitter.

Kelemvor, Dec 25, 2016
  7. CountMike New Member
    Showing same image is not extending, it's same picture on both monitors as far as GPU is concerned, you can have hundred like that using splitters. Extend is when a picture is shown partly one one and partly on other monitor. Duplicate would produce same as splitter does.

CountMike, Dec 25, 2016
  8. Kelemvor Win User

Yes. I know what Extend and Duplicate are. I want to EXTEND the desktop onto one monitor and then DUPLICATE that monitor onto another monitor. 3 displays in all. two are the same, one is not.

Kelemvor, Dec 25, 2016
  9. CountMike New Member
    Ah, didn't make sense to me until now. It depends if that dock can do this but you can try extending laptops main (default) display to docking station and let it duplicate the other half of picture.
    Don't know about that GPU but AMD/ATI can make picture distribution like that. It's called Eyefinity.

CountMike, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can I extend my desktop and duplicate the extended desktop on 2 screen - Similar Threads - extend desktop duplicate

2. Duplicate and extend screen on multiple

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Duplicate and extend screen on multiple: Hi, i have 4 screens connected to my laptop. I want to duplicate screen on 3 of them, and extend screen ton1 of them. How can i do all of them at one time? In the display settings it gives me option to duplicate desktop only on 2 of them. Thanks...
  3. Duplicate and extend screen on multiple

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Duplicate and extend screen on multiple: Hi, i have 4 screens connected to my laptop. I want to duplicate screen on 3 of them, and extend screen ton1 of them. How can i do all of them at one time? In the display settings it gives me option to duplicate desktop only on 2 of them. Thanks...
  4. Duplicate and extend screen on multiple

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Possible to duplicate extended desktop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Possible to duplicate extended desktop?: Hi, i have a laptop connected to 2 monitors, total 3 displays. Laptop is display 1, followed by monitor 1 is display 2, monitor is display 3.Is it possible to extend my laptop to display 2 and also to have duplicate of this extended desktop shown on display 3?i.e. display 1...
  6. Possible to duplicate extended desktop?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Possible to duplicate extended desktop?: Hi, i have a laptop connected to 2 monitors, total 3 displays. Laptop is display 1, followed by monitor 1 is display 2, monitor is display 3.Is it possible to extend my laptop to display 2 and also to have duplicate of this extended desktop shown on display 3?i.e. display 1...
  7. Monitor as Extended Desktop?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Monitor as Extended Desktop?: Greetings all, I found a computer that I didn't know I had........hummnn.......It has an ASUS motherboard, win 7, 32bit, as an OS............There is on-board video (PCI type port) which works fine utilizing the typical port (PCI?) from the motherboard. 1).....I want to...
  8. Microsoft Edge on Extended Desktop Monitor 2

Microsoft Edge on Extended Desktop Monitor 2: I have a laptop w/2 monitors, total of 3. I've been using Edge for almost a year, it was on one of my extended monitors and stayed there, always opened up on this monitor. Now, after some update, or something, it opens up on the other extended monitor. Each time I boot up and...
  9. Extended screen double desktop icons

Extended screen double desktop icons: I have extended screens with icons on each screen some of the folder and shortcuts is doubles like Chrome and My PC. When I'm unplugged the second screen all his icons moves to the laptop screen. My question is if there is any way to save desktop for one screen and a...
  10. Extended desktop problem

Extended desktop problem: I have a dell extended monitor connected to my dell xps laptop. Now whenever I lock my screen when I am away and come back, after unlock all the screens on extended desktop are back to the inbuilt laptop screen, which is my main screen as well, so after every time I unlock, I...