Windows 10: Can I force laptop to use ext Monitor at boot?

Discus and support Can I force laptop to use ext Monitor at boot? in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Have a Dell Inspiron with a crushed display, not a wink of viewable image. It will output to ext monitor via VGA (havent tried HDMI yet) only under... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by cognus, Dec 10, 2020.

1. cognus Win User

Can I force laptop to use ext Monitor at boot?

Have a Dell Inspiron with a crushed display, not a wink of viewable image. It will output to ext monitor via VGA (havent tried HDMI yet) only under Windows control after User Profile loads. But I need to make Setup changes in BIOS. Is there some way to force default to VGA at bootup?

I am running Windows 10 v2004 if it matters

:)

cognus, Dec 10, 2020
  2. Energise Win User

Blank Screens x 2 if Ext Monitor connected via HDMI

Dell Inspiron 17, 5000 series, Windows 10, fully up to date re Updates etc. Recent purchase

Recently, 3 of us got together, as we do regularly, each bringing own laptop along. I also take a monitor so we can all see the same thing, ie a tutorial. This arrangement seems to work well and I don't have issues.

However, when another (friend's) laptop was connected to Ext Monitor via HDMI cable (to show something on his laptop for all 3 of us to see), clicked on 'Duplicate', (first time setting up with Monitor) his laptop screen went blank but the Ext Monitor wouldn't display his screen either, just black too.

The laptop screen came back on when the HDMI cable was unplugged!!! Clicking on different options re Ext Monitor had no effect.

As mentioned, we'd had no problem with my laptop screen displaying on the Ext Monitor, using same cable, plus another longer) cable.

We tried the relevant Fn Key, Settings-System-Display but couldn't see any settings to change. With the Ext Monitor not connected, there was no way to try clicking on 'Identity' or 'Detect' but, if connected, both screens are just 'black'. Surely, it must be down to a setting somewhere ... ??? *Wink

Apparently, same happens when this laptop is connected to TV although 'old' Dell laptop was fine when connected to TV.

Has anyone any suggestions, please? Any help/advice would be much appreciated

Many thanks

Energise, Dec 10, 2020
  3. ram93 Win User
    laptop doesnt boot automatically

This is what happened.

1. Did a repair install and later disabled hibertnate in CMD.
    2. Enabled legacy option ROM in BIOS.
    3. After a few times startup ( i used the system in such mode for 5 days), changed boot option back to default.
    4. Vola!! It boots automatically to win10 without any keypress. Tested it with many starts to confirm the same.
    5. Re-enabled hibernate option using CMD and later selected Fast Startup.
    6. System booted normally, without the need for any keypress.

I do not know exactly whether such steps resolved the problem or what else happened, hence cannot suggest above steps.

Many thanks to all members who helped to troubleshoot problems.

ram93, Dec 10, 2020
  4. Jessen P Win User

Can't boot laptop without external monitor plugged in

Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience.

The monitor will display the Windows (or OS) logo until it boots into the OS because during the boot the motherboard displays output to the second monitor however once the OS is loaded the computer switches to Extended Display allowing the user to use both
    monitors (If they both worked)

You will be able to get the laptop to display only to the monitor when connected by:

1. Turn off computer completely

2. Connect the VGA cable to the laptop (output) and monitor (input)

3. Power on laptop and Immediately close the cover of the laptop completely shut

RESOLUTION: By doing these steps the BIOS will boot recognizing the monitor as the main and only output option allowing the monitor to continue to work even after loading the OS.

The laptop will be completely closed therefore you will need a usb or bluetooth keyboard and mouse in order to perform operations going forward.

Do get back to us for any issues pertaining in the future. We will be happy to help.

Jessen P, Dec 10, 2020
Thema:

1. Can I force laptop to use ext Monitor at boot? - Similar Threads - force laptop ext

2. Can I use my laptop as a monitor for my Xbox?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I use my laptop as a monitor for my Xbox?: I want to use my laptop as my monitor in college rather than bringing a whole tv. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-use-my-laptop-as-a-monitor-for-my-xbox/941e5437-7f7d-4085-b066-e4c367b21715
  3. Can I use my laptop as a monitor for my Xbox?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I use my laptop as a monitor for my Xbox?: I want to use my laptop as my monitor in college rather than bringing a whole tv. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-use-my-laptop-as-a-monitor-for-my-xbox/941e5437-7f7d-4085-b066-e4c367b21715
  4. Can I use an external monitor as my primary monitor even when I restart my laptop?

Can I use an external monitor as my primary monitor even when I restart my laptop?: I have a lenovo ideapad 320, so it's a little bit old and the problem is its screen already has a crack on one corner. I can still use it and as a matter of fact, it's what I'm using while writing this question. I want to know if I can connect my laptop to an external monitor...
  5. ext monitor setup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ext monitor setup: Hello all I have issues that are not very important, but I can tell it's a bug. setup . 2 ext monitor with a docking station. a laptop with a screenI always set up my office with this and in power setting for do nothing in when I close the lip. I windows 10 I have no issues...
  6. ext monitor setup

ext monitor setup: Hello all I have issues that are not very important, but I can tell it's a bug. setup . 2 ext monitor with a docking station. a laptop with a screenI always set up my office with this and in power setting for do nothing in when I close the lip. I windows 10 I have no issues...
  7. Can I use my laptop as a primary monitor for my desktop?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I use my laptop as a primary monitor for my desktop?: Via hdmi submitted by /u/celestial_god [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l8fp1f/can_i_use_my_laptop_as_a_primary_monitor_for_my/
  8. Can I force laptop to use ext Monitor at boot?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can I force laptop to use ext Monitor at boot?: Have a Dell Inspiron with a crushed display, not a wink of viewable image. It will output to ext monitor via VGA (havent tried HDMI yet) only under Windows control after User Profile loads. But I need to make Setup changes in BIOS. Is there some way to force default to VGA at...
  9. Can I force a Local Account in laptops?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I force a Local Account in laptops?: Hello! I noticed that some laptops will not allow you to create a local account once connected to Wi-Fi. They only have the option to create a Microsoft Account at first configuration (OOBE). I could not figure out how to create a local account and it was one of my...
  10. Force monitor to use second graphic card?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Force monitor to use second graphic card?: Hello, I have two monitors and I have two graphic cards, one of which is damaged. The only reason I am still using the damaged graphics card is because it's display ports are still working and my second graphic card doesn't have a HDMI port. Because of this my full HD...