Windows 10: Can I force windows 10 to use GPU while on Battery?

Discus and support Can I force windows 10 to use GPU while on Battery? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I've got a surface book, first gen with the GPU. I know I can use the graphics settings to force the GPU for specific apps, but I was wondering if... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ryivan, Oct 31, 2019.

1. /u/ryivan Win User

Can I force windows 10 to use GPU while on Battery?

I've got a surface book, first gen with the GPU. I know

I can use the graphics settings to force the GPU for specific apps, but I was wondering if there was a setting to encourage the GPU use for the GUI of Windows 10 - ideally when I was plugged in. The performance with a dual monitor set-up is always a little poor with the integrated graphics, so I'd love to get windows to use my GPU instead.

Anyone attempted to do or pulled off anything in this space?

Thanks!

submitted by /u/ryivan
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ryivan, Oct 31, 2019
  2. Mithin_EJ Win User

Is there a way to force a program to use a secondary GPU?

Hi Zeond1987,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Are you getting any error message?

If you have a multi-GPU system running Windows 10, you can now manually specify the preferred graphics processor an app should use for performance or to improve battery life.

In order to force an app to use a discrete GPU instead of the integrated one, or vice versa to provide better system performance or battery life, I suggest you to follow the below steps.

1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the System icon. Click on System.

2. Click on Display on the left side

3. Under “Multiple displays,” click the Advanced graphics settings link.

4. Select the kind of app you want to configured using the drop-down menu:

Classic app — these are your traditional Win32 desktop programs.

Universal app — these are those app available through the Microsoft Store.

5. If you select Classic app, you’ll need to click the Browse button to locate the “.exe” file to add the app. Otherwise, if you select the Universal app option, you’ll see a second drop-down menu to select the app.

6. Select the app you added from the list.

7. Click the Options button

8. Set the graphics preference you want to use:

System default — this is always the default setting, and Windows 10 decide which GPU to use automatically.

Power saving — runs the application on the GPU that uses the least power, which most of the time is your integrated graphics processor.

High performance — runs the application on the most capable GPU, which is most of the time an external or discrete graphics processor.

9. Click the Save button.

I also recommend you to update the GTX 1080 drivers from the manufacturer website, and
    Check if that work.

Hope it helps,

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking Yes Or No

Mithin_EJ, Oct 31, 2019
  3. Zeond1987 Win User
    Is there a way to force a program to use a secondary GPU?

I have 2 GPU's (Nvidia GTX 970 and 1080) and I want to force a program to use the 1080 for certain programs/games. Going to Settings>System>Display>Graphics Settings should give me the option to switch GPU's. Unfortunately it does not list both of my GPU's
    nor does it allow me to change to another one, only the default GPU is chosen (the 970). This is a desktop computer and I have tried the Nvidia control panel and UEFI settings without much luck. If I tried selecting a program to run on my 1080 (through the
    Nvidia control panel), it would still run it on the 970. I have tried switching the GPU's around with not much luck there either. If I can suggest to Microsoft the option in the Graphics Settings to list both GPU's for selection, that would be great. Otherwise
    I don't know what to do. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you for your time.

Zeond1987, Oct 31, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 forced download

I actually had a client call yesterday with an email problem. when I tried walking him through some steps, he says "Yeah, I don't see that there, but I think it's because it's updated to windows 10. It did that a few weeks ago. I came back in on Monday, and it said Welcome to Windows 10"..... I think I'd throw the computer out the window.

Ahhzz, Oct 31, 2019
Thema:

1. Can I force windows 10 to use GPU while on Battery? - Similar Threads - force GPU while

2. Cannot force some apps to use GPU

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot force some apps to use GPU: In graphics settings i've set apps like msedgewebview.exe to use integrated gpu but this app is still using my high performance nvidia gpu. Some games use the integrated gpu insted of nvidia gpu even if i've set the app to use only high performance nvidia gpu. What am i doing...
  3. Cannot force some apps to use GPU

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot force some apps to use GPU: In graphics settings i've set apps like msedgewebview.exe to use integrated gpu but this app is still using my high performance nvidia gpu. Some games use the integrated gpu insted of nvidia gpu even if i've set the app to use only high performance nvidia gpu. What am i doing...
  4. Windows choose to run an application using the wrong GPU. How to force a specific GPU to use

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows choose to run an application using the wrong GPU. How to force a specific GPU to use: Hi, I have a pc with 3 GPUs, one Nvidia, and 2 AMD.The monitor is connected to the Nvidia and it is on PCIe. the other 2 AMD are on risers. When I run games windows always chose to run them using one of the AMD thus the resolution is wrong and the game will crash and not...
  5. Windows choose to run an application using the wrong GPU. How to force a specific GPU to use

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows choose to run an application using the wrong GPU. How to force a specific GPU to use: Hi, I have a pc with 3 GPUs, one Nvidia, and 2 AMD.The monitor is connected to the Nvidia and it is on PCIe. the other 2 AMD are on risers. When I run games windows always chose to run them using one of the AMD thus the resolution is wrong and the game will crash and not...
  6. Windows choose to run an application using the wrong GPU. How to force a specific GPU to use

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. How can I force Windows 10 to ONLY use my dedicated GPU

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How can I force Windows 10 to ONLY use my dedicated GPU: Hi everyone, First, some context: Edition: Windows 10 Home Version: 20H2 OS build: 19042.867 Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0 Hardware: Dell XPS 2018ish model?. GTX 1050 and Intel Core i7-7700HQ My Issue: I'm experiencing very poor...
  8. Windows 10 Not Using GPU

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Not Using GPU: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/NemesisXS [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ku7o8o/windows_10_not_using_gpu/
  9. forced battery saving mode while in game

in Windows 10 Customization
    forced battery saving mode while in game: ever since i bought my laptop with windows 10 few years ago, i am having this one problem to which, unfortunately, i could not find any solution to this day. i am traveling a lot and i need to use inverters for charging my laptop and while i am charging - all is fine, but...
  10. Is there a way to force a program to use a secondary GPU?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is there a way to force a program to use a secondary GPU?: I have 2 GPU's (Nvidia GTX 970 and 1080) and I want to force a program to use the 1080 for certain programs/games. Going to Settings>System>Display>Graphics Settings should give me the option to switch GPU's. Unfortunately it does not list both of my GPU's nor does it allow...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. asus use gpu while on battery

2. force win 10 to use in-buid gpu