Windows 10: Can I generate a Standard account that is the same as my Admin acct?

Discus and support Can I generate a Standard account that is the same as my Admin acct? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Accidentally posted this in a solved thread - sorry if you're re-seeing it. I set up my Surface book by using the Win 10 Admin account to install... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Bruce Z, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Bruce Z Win User

Can I generate a Standard account that is the same as my Admin acct?

Accidentally posted this in a solved thread - sorry if you're re-seeing it.

I set up my Surface book by using the Win 10 Admin account to install programs, port my files from the old PC, change preferences (no Cortana, hover-to-select/single-click-to-open, task bar and live-tiles customized, and a lot of security settings changed). Now that all these changes have been made, some of which might have been difficult or unavailable in a Standard account, I'm ready to settle into daily use of the PC. Most articles say daily use should be done in a Standard account so I made a local one via Settings/Accounts/Family & Other People/Add Someone Else to This PC/I don't have this person's sign-in info etc. I thought the Admin account would act as a master template such that any Standard account it spawned would be the same minus the privileges that make the Admin account less safe for everyday use (and that the Standard account could be further restricted once generated). BUT...

A quick look at the new Standard account shows at least some of my customizations did not carry overy... Cortana is on; single-click/double-click is required to select/open; and my taskbar and live tile arrangements are back to default. And my files are not available (I'm guessing this could be fixed by sharing). So I'm assuming many of my other changes (including security tweaks) are off in the new Standard account too.

If I make a new Admin account (or I switch my Standard to Admin) then switch my original Admin account to Standard account as suggested in a recent thread then my daily use (Standard) account will be set up as I like it but the new Admin account won't be.

How can a generate a Standard account which is exactly like my Admin account (of course it won't have the privileges but that's the point)? I don't want to make all the changes manually again and I read about cloning via Audit Mode/Sysprep but even if this does what I want it's beyond me. Thanks.

:)

Bruce Z, Aug 29, 2016

2. Can I create a new account with the same email as a deleted one?

Hi,

Glad to know the issue is fixed. I appreciate the troubleshooting you tried on the computer. Please post in case you have any further issues, We will be glad to help you.

Thank you.

Ruth Buruga, Aug 29, 2016
  3. Can I create a new account with the same email as a deleted one?

Nevermind! I have figured out that the solution was to sign completely out of my microsoft account on my computer (meaning that I was using a local account), and sign back in!

RushRewaraLup, Aug 29, 2016
  4. Vesao Win User

The Standard account is very limited. Just do not use the built-in Administrator account for your everyday work as it is a super administrator just like the "root" user in Linux. You need to create a new administrator account for everyday work, not the standard account.

Vesao, Aug 29, 2016
  5. Bruce Z Win User
    Hmmm... I don't know man. Laptopmag.com writes "We advise all Windows users to operate their PCs primarily from regular/limited accounts" (http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/li...nts-windows-10) and many other PC-oriented web sites offer the same advice. If I can generate a Standard user account that is the same (other than having limited privileges) as the Admin account I used to set up the PC with, it seems like it would be safer to go that route. But, I did not realize there were different types of Admin accounts - I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

Bruce Z, Aug 29, 2016
  6. Bruce Z Win User
    Does the lack of response mean that every time you'all want to add a standard account to an already set up PC you manually make the changes to preferences and security that you want all accounts on the PC to have? Isn't there a way to make a newly generated Standard account just like the Admin account that generated it (minus various rights) so that there is continuity from account to account?

Bruce Z, Aug 30, 2016
  7. Steve C Win User
    From a security standpoint, I recommend using a Standard account for daily use for each user and a separate Admin account for PC maintenance. You can change the account type if you wish but always ensure you have at least one Admin account.

Steve C, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can I generate a Standard account that is the same as my Admin acct? - Similar Threads - generate Standard account

2. Blocked admin account by standard account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blocked admin account by standard account: Hi ! please someone help me i need to tell you that i was setting some fuctions for me ..... ya i know i stupid but somehow i changed my account type to standard and block admin account ....i can't get admin powers and admin account is gone somewhere i need help please :...
  3. Blocked admin account by standard account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blocked admin account by standard account: Hi ! please someone help me i need to tell you that i was setting some fuctions for me ..... ya i know i stupid but somehow i changed my account type to standard and block admin account ....i can't get admin powers and admin account is gone somewhere i need help please :...
  4. Uninstall a program from my standard account but not on my admin account.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Uninstall a program from my standard account but not on my admin account.: Additional details :I basically have two accounts on my laptop, admin account for gaming and standard account for study.I have Steam, Discord, Spotify etc... installed on my Admin account, but the problem is that I am also able to access them from my standard account. I...
  5. Microsoft account conflict with local admin acct account

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Microsoft account conflict with local admin acct account: Hello,Sincerely, I was forced to login with my Microsoft account after Windows 10 reboot with no prior settings changes.After rebooting and everything was fine, then I got the screen to sign in with my Microsoft account which I tried closing but It kept coming back again.So I...
  6. Using same password for both Local Admin and Standard accounts?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Using same password for both Local Admin and Standard accounts?: Hi everyone! Just need some user account advise here. -I am the only person using my machine and no one else. -Machine is a Standalone meaning it is not domain-joined. -Running BitLocker full encryption with TPM and PIN -User account lockout after failed password attempts...
  7. How to regain admin account after switching my user account to a standard acct

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to regain admin account after switching my user account to a standard acct: I am the sole owner of my laptop and I switched my user account to a standard user account using the instructions in the link below. The account is set up to log in with a fingerprint Lenovo ThinkBook. The problem is, now I cannot gain admin privileges since the only option...
  8. Admin acct

in Windows 10 Customization
    Admin acct: I am admin. I read that I should also have a standard user acct for everyday work. How do I set that up? Then how will I know which acct I'm in? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/admin-acct/3fceec95-1516-406c-bade-b6610f105070
  9. Make Exact Duplicate of Admin. Acct and Transfer It to Standard Acct

Make Exact Duplicate of Admin. Acct and Transfer It to Standard Acct: My new laptop (Lenovo P51) is about 3 weeks old and maybe the first or second day along with my login administrator account which I have been booting into I created a standard acct as well as a second administrator account. The reason for the standard acct is probably obvious...
  10. Local Admin Account vs standard Account

Local Admin Account vs standard Account: i have to ask this i am on Windows 10 Home build 16299.19 as i am currently terminating an old account and going to my most current account but i am concerned that the one i use to login into my current PC might be lost and i do wonder if the admin account i use for this HP...