Windows 10: Can I get 144hz if I plug my laptop via mini display to display port into an external monitor?

Discus and support Can I get 144hz if I plug my laptop via mini display to display port into an external monitor? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi I'm planning to buy a new external monitor for my laptop because my laptop monitor is too small. I want to get a 144hz monitor because it's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by listerwei, Sep 8, 2018.

1. listerwei Win User

Can I get 144hz if I plug my laptop via mini display to display port into an external monitor?

Hi

I'm planning to buy a new external monitor for my laptop because my laptop monitor is too small. I want to get a 144hz monitor because it's smoother than 60hz. I looked on Amazon and I came down to the Viewsonic XG2402 monitor found here: https://www.amazon.ca/ViewSonic-FreeSync-Monitor-DisplayPort-XG2402/dp/B075D1B4SV/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1536424533&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=Viewsonic+xg2402 My laptop (an ASUS Gl752vw) has a GTX 960M, mini display port, and an HDMI port. I was wondering if I can plug my laptop into the monitor via a minidisplayport to displayport cable (like this one: https://www.amazon.ca/Rankie-DisplayPort-Cable-Ready-Black/dp/B00YOQYQWY/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1536424679&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=Mi) and still get the 144hz? I know this seems like a stupid question but I couldn't get the answer to this so I was just wondering if this is possible.

:)

listerwei, Sep 8, 2018
  2. delpi767 Win User

No display on laptop's external monitor-Monitor recognized but blank

After the recent Windows 10 update, my wife's laptop no longer displays on the external monitor. All was well before the update.

I am comfortable that Windows sees the monitor because clicking on Display Settings shows two displays. If I unplug the HDMI cable, only one display is shown.

I have confirmed that the monitor works by trying it with another laptop. I have also changed the HDMI cable between the laptop and the external monitor.

Device manager reports that I have the latest display driver installed.

I would appreciate any and all suggestions.

delpi767, Sep 8, 2018
  3. SP3 with new brick dock can't connect to two dual external acer monitors via mini display adapter

Have new dock and can't make the display ports connect to the my two external monitors via active mini display dvi adaptors. Work fine when I plug them directly into the SP3, but not the port. Please help. THanks.

RokstarrRob, Sep 8, 2018
  4. Can I get 144hz if I plug my laptop via mini display to display port into an external monitor?

Mini Display port not working when connected to monitor

HI, Im using a MSI GT60 2QD notebook with Windows 10 home(1803). When i conneted to LG 34UC98 monitor via Mini Display port, my notebook didn't appear any external monitor selection for my to chooose. I had tried "uninstall and re-install
    display driver", "changed the other cable", and plug other port. It works fine when i connected to the monitor via HDMI cable (except the resolution cannot change to 3440 x 1400). Macbook pro works very well when conneted to the same monitor via thunderbolt3
    to thunderbolt2 adapter.
    Can I get 144hz if I plug my laptop via mini display to display port into an external monitor? 4bca36bc-18dd-4e8e-8b73-917f9d3a9542?upload=true.jpg

CalvinLim97, Sep 8, 2018
Thema:

Can I get 144hz if I plug my laptop via mini display to display port into an external monitor?

1. Can I get 144hz if I plug my laptop via mini display to display port into an external monitor? - Similar Threads - 144hz plug laptop

2. Laptop monitor suddenly won't display in original 144hz

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop monitor suddenly won't display in original 144hz: I have an Asus gaming laptop that has 144hz. I usually use an external monitor a LED TV that is 60hz as a second monitor that I plug via HDMI. It's been working great, however last night I decided to use my laptop monitor but it suddenly still displays and is stuck at 64hz so...
  3. Laptop monitor suddenly won't display in original 144hz

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop monitor suddenly won't display in original 144hz: I have an Asus gaming laptop that has 144hz. I usually use an external monitor a LED TV that is 60hz as a second monitor that I plug via HDMI. It's been working great, however last night I decided to use my laptop monitor but it suddenly still displays and is stuck at 64hz so...
  4. Display Port hot plug

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Display Port hot plug: Hi, I just upgraded my setup with a few new displays on PC. The PC Specs are: Asus Tuf Gaming X570-PlusAMD Ryzen 7 5800X3DMSI Gaming T Trio 3080VENGEANCE® LPX 32GB 2 x 16GB DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16And the new displays:3x Dell S2721DGF1x LG OLED55C21LAAnd I have the following...
  5. Display Port hot plug

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Display Port hot plug: Hi, I just upgraded my setup with a few new displays on PC. The PC Specs are: Asus Tuf Gaming X570-PlusAMD Ryzen 7 5800X3DMSI Gaming T Trio 3080VENGEANCE® LPX 32GB 2 x 16GB DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16And the new displays:3x Dell S2721DGF1x LG OLED55C21LAAnd I have the following...
  6. laptop display stopped working after plugging external monitor into HDMI port

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    laptop display stopped working after plugging external monitor into HDMI port: This has now happened to me many times even after completely re-installing windows 10 from scratch. But this time around it seems permanent. I've also tried uninstalling display drivers and monitors. Under Device Manager, monitors now I only see the Generic PnP monitor. When...
  7. just changed to a display port cable but 144hz monitor is running 60hz

in Windows 10 Customization
    just changed to a display port cable but 144hz monitor is running 60hz: so when i changed to a display port cable instend of hdmi i went to check my hz and it said 60hz i tried changing it in the advanced display settings and going to refresh rate but its capped at 64hz or 60hz and i cant game with this please help....
  8. External Display not working on Surface Pro 4 via mini display port

External Display not working on Surface Pro 4 via mini display port: I am running a mini display port adapter connected to an HDMI to HDMI wire from my surface pro 4 to a television. When I connect it, the screen on my surface pro 4 goes black as if making the connection and then it comes back on. The display settings on my surface is set to...
  9. Displaying 144hz on monitor from laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Displaying 144hz on monitor from laptop: I have a gaming laptop and I have it hooked up to a monitor that can display up to 144hz. I have the laptop and the monitor connected through a HDMI cable. It seems I get 60hz instead of 144hz as the monitor advertised. Do you know how I can fix this problem? Please let me...
  10. Mini Display port not working when connected to monitor

Mini Display port not working when connected to monitor: HI, Im using a MSI GT60 2QD notebook with Windows 10 home(1803). When i conneted to LG 34UC98 monitor via Mini Display port, my notebook didn't appear any external monitor selection for my to chooose. I had tried "uninstall and re-install display driver", "changed the other...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. laptop plugging in 144hz

2. can monitors plug into laptops with a mimi display port

3. where to plug display port into msi laptop

4. plug in to laptop to display info,
  5. cable to get 144hz on xg2402,
  6. if i plug in a display port will the 144hz option appear?