Windows 10: Can i get a pc setup with 2 NVMe sytem drives while 1 of them portable

Discus and support Can i get a pc setup with 2 NVMe sytem drives while 1 of them portable in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey there, i'm trying to get this kind of system setup: 2 different system drives, that occasionally i'll take one of them out of the pc, pysycally,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by shadtal, Jan 17, 2021.

1. shadtal Win User

Can i get a pc setup with 2 NVMe sytem drives while 1 of them portable

Hey there,

i'm trying to get this kind of system setup:

2 different system drives, that occasionally i'll take one of them out of the pc, pysycally, while at this time, the pc will boot from the other system drive.

When i'll reconnect the 1st system drive, it'll boot from the 1st drive.

i tried to setup it this way but i goes wrong:

i bought PCI adapter for NVMe M2 drive, installed an identical drive on the adapter and when it log on to windows on the 1st drive, it crashes on windows log on screen:

20210117_195242

if i reinstall windows for the 1st drive while the 2nd drive connected, it works. but then when i install windows on the 2nd drive. it has the same crash while installing windows.

:)

shadtal, Jan 17, 2021
  2. Geethu B Win User

Portable hard drive and windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. I understand that you have an issue with connecting
    portable hard drive in Windows 10.
    I will surely help you to fix this issue.

To understand the issue better, I would need more information from your end.

• Is the hard drive getting detected on the computer?

• Do you face any issue while using other USB devices?
    This issue could have occurred due to these reasons:

1. Missing Windows Update.

2. USB port is damaged.

3. Damaged hardware.

Try the steps listed here:

Method 1:

I suggest you to run hardware troubleshooter and check if it helps.

a) Press Windows Key.

b) Type Troubleshooting in the search box and hit
    Enter.

c) Click on Hardware and sound.

d) Click on Hardware and device and follow the on-screen instructions.

Method 2:

If the issue persists, I suggest you to install all the available Windows Updates and also latest chipset driver from the computer manufacturer website. You may also try connecting the hard drive to a different USB port.

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Geethu B, Jan 17, 2021
  3. Windows 10 installer don't detect NVMe drive

I have 2 drives:

• disk1 (SATA SSD, with Ubuntu 16.04)
      • partition1 (sda1: flag /boot)
      • partition2 (sda2: flag /home, encrypted by LUKS)
    • disk2 (NVMe SSD)

So, the goal is to install Windows 10 on disk2 and boot it from GRUB (which is on sda1).

What is the problem ?

In disk-choose step, disk2 is missing. However Ubuntu 14.04 installer "see" this disk, so I assume that is software issue, rather than my hardware.

What I tried to solve this problem ?

• loaded Samsung NVMe drivers from this thread
    • patched Windows image using DISM tool by adding 2 updates. I followed this guide
    • tried to run Windows 10 installed on USB stick to install it

All of them failed.

Please help me to solve this issue.

WojciechCe, Jan 17, 2021
  4. Can i get a pc setup with 2 NVMe sytem drives while 1 of them portable

Samsung M3 portable hard drive not getting recognised on Windows 10.

Hi,

Thank you for your response with the current status of the issue.

To assist you better, please provide us the below information

• Have you tried to uninstall and reinstall the external hard drive on the computer?
    • Are you logged into the Administrator Account while assigning the driver letter to the external hard drive?

I recommend you to follow the steps below to update all the pending Windows updates and also try to reinstall the hard drive driver in the Device Manager. Check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to update all the pending Windows updates in the computer and check if it helps.

1. Click on Start Menu.

2. Then select Settings.

3. Choose Update & security >
    Windows Update
    >Check for updates. Install any available updates and restart your PC if required.

Step 2: I recommend you to uninstall and reinstall the Hard drive as suggested in the previous post. Also you can run Hardware and Device troubleshooter.

Step 3: Then try to boot the computer in safe mode and check if the hard drive is getting recgonized in it or not.

Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10:

Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10

Please get back to us with an update on issue in connecting External hard drive into Windows 10, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Jan 17, 2021
Thema:

Can i get a pc setup with 2 NVMe sytem drives while 1 of them portable

1. Can i get a pc setup with 2 NVMe sytem drives while 1 of them portable - Similar Threads - setup NVMe sytem

2. I have 2 disk drives on my C: drive, how do I make them into 1?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have 2 disk drives on my C: drive, how do I make them into 1?: I want to merge the 2 disks, here is the link for the images.https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UPK5vr-dXS4VZNJjRmejv3OH7a1mRIORoUQjhNh1cWE/edit?usp=sharing...
  3. I have 2 disk drives on my C: drive, how do I make them into 1?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have 2 disk drives on my C: drive, how do I make them into 1?: I want to merge the 2 disks, here is the link for the images.https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UPK5vr-dXS4VZNJjRmejv3OH7a1mRIORoUQjhNh1cWE/edit?usp=sharing...
  4. I have 2 disk drives on my C: drive, how do I make them into 1?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Reinstalling RAID 1 using NVMe drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reinstalling RAID 1 using NVMe drive: Hi, I had 2 Corsair Force Series MP600 2 TB, NVMe PCIe Gen 4 x4 M.2 SSD in RAID 1 when I ordered my computer from Origin PC. One of the drives was bad so I switched from RAID 1 to AHCI and sent the bad drive for replacement. I have the replacement drive installed now and I am...
  6. Getting Windows on NVMe M.2

Getting Windows on NVMe M.2: Need some help installing Windows on my new Samsung980 NVMe M.2 SSD please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/getting-windows-on-nvme-m2/6852c9fd-ceff-4b66-b317-3f3f7a03f1b8
  7. My unusual setup fails: 2 different NVMe system drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My unusual setup fails: 2 different NVMe system drives: Hey there, i'm trying to get this special kind of system setup: 2 different NVMe system drives, that occasionally i'll take one of them out of the pc, pysycally, while at this time, the pc will boot from the other system drive. I bought this PCI to NVMe adapter: 3 in 1...
  8. My unusual setup fails: 2 different NVMe system drives

in Windows 10 Support
    My unusual setup fails: 2 different NVMe system drives: Hey there, i'm trying to get this special kind of system setup: 2 different NVMe system drives, that occasionally i'll take one of them out of the pc, pysycally, while at this time, the pc will boot from the other system drive. I bought this PCI to NVMe adapter: 3 in 1...
  9. can i use 1 license on 2 pc?

can i use 1 license on 2 pc?: it's possible? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-use-1-license-on-2-pc/44e8eac4-baa0-4c0f-a7e4-1ec2d7ab7e0a
  10. 2 users, 1 pc: multiseat setup

in Windows 10 Support
    2 users, 1 pc: multiseat setup: Hi, My PC is used for everything. Games, videos etc. Games, not FPS, just lego games, Trine, Magicka. The GPU is more than capable. My wife currently uses her laptop for everything else. However all games are played with me on my PC. Her laptop is a Toshiba 17" which I...