Windows 10: Can I get back to win 7?

Discus and support Can I get back to win 7? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, I have windows 7 on my computer. I have read a lot of posts here and I am not sure if I want windows 10 at this time. if I take the upgrade... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Sven1458, May 30, 2015.

1. Sven1458 Win User

Can I get back to win 7?

Hi all,
    I have windows 7 on my computer.
    I have read a lot of posts here and I am not sure if I want windows 10 at this time.
    if I take the upgrade to win 10, and have an image of my old win 7, can I go back to win 7 or is my product key now assigned to win 10 and can not be used with win 7 any more?

just to be save before I upgrade.

Sven

:)

Sven1458, May 30, 2015

2. If I roll back to win 8.1 can I upgrade back to win 10 in the feature again?

You can upgrade for free till the offer expires i.e. 28th July 2016.

hope it helps.

Sumit Dhiman2, May 30, 2015
  3. GlenAgar Win User
    If I roll back to win 8.1 can I upgrade back to win 10 in the feature again?

I have a program that does not currently support win 10 but will in the feature. can I roll back to Win 8.1 and then later when the program can support win 10 can I upgrade again for free?

I upgraded to win 10 before I knew this program could not support it.

GlenAgar, May 30, 2015
  4. bobkn Win User

Can I get back to win 7?

No problem.

The current preview versions of Windows 10 don't even require your product key. You can clean install them without any key.

I expect that with the released version of Win 10, reverting to an older version will be allowed.

bobkn, May 30, 2015
  5. swarfega Win User
    Why not try it in VirtualBox. You can see if you like it or not and it wont ruin your current Windows 7 setup.

swarfega, May 30, 2015
  6. Ztruker Win User
    Yes, you will be able to go back.

Ztruker, May 31, 2015
  7. Sven1458 Win User
    Thanks to all.

I'm still on the fence.
    sven

Sven1458, May 31, 2015
  8. Edwin New Member

Can I get back to win 7?

You could also dual boot both OS's if you've got the space.

Edwin, May 31, 2015
  9. You can always go back from Windows 7, there's a restore OS option within the settings under Windows update.

kuyenmotdivad, May 31, 2015
  10. sgage Win User
    That's what I do. Basically, my Win7 installation partition is the data drive for both systems. Works quite well.

sgage, May 31, 2015
  11. Molyy Win User
    License key will always be working on the same machine. It is bond with the hardware configuration.
    So, just don't worry.

Molyy, May 31, 2015
  12. Sven1458 Win User
    if I dual boot, will I have to install all my software again into win 10?

Sven

Sven1458, May 31, 2015
  13. rmtracy Win User

Can I get back to win 7?

I would suspect you would, as I did when I dual booted my machine. I tri-boot Windows 7, 8.1, and 10. As I am running an AMD 8150 8 core, I had to switch to Windows 8 as windows 7 architecture was not ideal for my AMD CPU.

rmtracy, Jun 1, 2015
  14. Yes ... it's a new OS and you have to install everything you want to carry over from the other OS -- unless you do an "upgrade", and if you do that, you might NOT be able to get the old OS back.

Mark Phelps, Jun 1, 2015
  15. Cliff S New Member
    *ThumbsI can't wait to get Win7 off my laptop. The drivers(specially the USB ones) are pretty unstable, be they original OEM or from hardware manufacturer's site. Just look in Windows Seven Forums and 85% the posts are BSOD or Error messages, in Eight Forums it's mostly people needing help getting around or with 3red party software. I've had 10 on my 7 laptop and didn't have any stability issues once everything was installed and setup. you should really contemplate moving to 10(just my recommendation).*Wink

Cliff S, Jul 3, 2015
Thema:

Can I get back to win 7?