Windows 10: Can i have a bios update and a windows installation media on a singular usb stick?

Discus and support Can i have a bios update and a windows installation media on a singular usb stick? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Im waiting for my pc parts to arrive, and im wondering if its possible to use a 32gb usb stick to install both a bios update and windows from it? Or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by sahkoposti, Apr 2, 2023.

1. Can i have a bios update and a windows installation media on a singular usb stick?

Im waiting for my pc parts to arrive, and im wondering if its possible to use a 32gb usb stick to install both a bios update and windows from it? Or will it somehow mess up bios or windows completely? The motherboard is ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS.

:)

sahkoposti, Apr 2, 2023
  2. thraxed Win User

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Apr 2, 2023
  3. SaiZo Win User
    Is it possible to run Windows 7 from an USB stick?

No. It will run only on the media center. He wants a 32Gb USB stick to be "sure" all updates, all programs (VLC, Winamp etc.) will fit. The stick will remain in the media center all the time. The local hardware guy suggested Windows 8, but I haven't even tested that as yet. The media center can have harddrives connected to it, perhaps it would fit an SSD, but since he has a 2Tb drive already.. Why get an SSD if it can be run from an USB stick?

SaiZo, Apr 2, 2023
  4. Can i have a bios update and a windows installation media on a singular usb stick?

Install Windows 10 from USB stick on legacy BIOS PC

I am struggling to install Windows 10 on an old PC (equipped with GA P35-DS3L motherboard, which has BIOS, no UEFI), from a USB stick.

Try 1:

1. Using Microsoft Media Creation Tool, create bootable USB flash drive
    2. Boot to this drive (F12 at boot)

Result: Windows setup does not launch. Instead, BIOS throws error Invalid Partition Table

My guess: the Windows tool is simply not compatible with BIOS systems, as it creates a GPT instead of a MBR.

Try 2:

1. Download the ISO using Media Creation Tool
    2. Create a bootable USB
      drive from this ISO using Rufus (checking the "MBR" option).

Result: setup launches successfully, but I cannot get past the "partition selection" step.

Whenever I select an empty space (or a valid partition freshly created on my system HDD), I get error: We couldn’t create a new partition or locate an existing one. For more information, see the Setup log files.

I have also tried using diskpart to create a new primary partition (disk 0 clean create partition primary active format fs=ntfs quick assign).
    The error was the same when trying to install Windows on it.

My guess: the USB stick might be confusing Windows, which would see it as a HDD and try to install on it (?)

I have tried with 2 sticks (one USB 3.0 and one USB 2.0), same results.

How can I solve this?

Sébastien, Apr 2, 2023
Thema:

Can i have a bios update and a windows installation media on a singular usb stick?

1. Can i have a bios update and a windows installation media on a singular usb stick? - Similar Threads - bios update installation

2. Can i have a bios update and a windows installation media on a singular usb stick?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can i have a bios update and a windows installation media on a singular usb stick?: Im waiting for my pc parts to arrive, and im wondering if its possible to use a 32gb usb stick to install both a bios update and windows from it? Or will it somehow mess up bios or windows completely? The motherboard is ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS....
  3. Can i have a bios update and a windows installation media on a singular usb stick?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can i have a bios update and a windows installation media on a singular usb stick?: Im waiting for my pc parts to arrive, and im wondering if its possible to use a 32gb usb stick to install both a bios update and windows from it? Or will it somehow mess up bios or windows completely? The motherboard is ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS....
  4. How can I reflash a corrupted bios using a usb stick?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I reflash a corrupted bios using a usb stick?: The BIOS of my lenovo ideapad 320 15-AST is corrupted so when I boot the laptop, the screen remains blank. Is there any way I can write the bios to a USB stick and automatically boot the computer into it and then reflash the BIOS?...
  5. How can I reflash a corrupted bios using a usb stick?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I reflash a corrupted bios using a usb stick?: The BIOS of my lenovo ideapad 320 15-AST is corrupted so when I boot the laptop, the screen remains blank. Is there any way I can write the bios to a USB stick and automatically boot the computer into it and then reflash the BIOS?...
  6. How can I reflash a corrupted bios using a usb stick?

7. USB Stick Recovery Media vs Installation Media

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB Stick Recovery Media vs Installation Media: In case Windows 10 Pro OS problematic Can be repaired with USB Stick CreateRecovery USB Stick Windows 10 Pro Or createInstallation media usb stick…?If both can help, When use the first and when the second…?...
  8. USB Stick Recovery Media vs Installation Media

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB Stick Recovery Media vs Installation Media: In case Windows 10 Pro OS problematic Can be repaired with USB Stick CreateRecovery USB Stick Windows 10 Pro Or createInstallation media usb stick…?If both can help, When use the first and when the second…?...
  9. USB Stick Recovery Media vs Installation Media

10. Remove Windows 10 Installation Media from a USB Stick

Remove Windows 10 Installation Media from a USB Stick: Hi, I used the media creation tool to create the Windows 10 installation media onto a USB flash drive. I no longer need the installation media on the USB but I am unable to delete the files on the stick. I've tried to format the USB drive but it tells me that it is read...