Windows 10: Can I have help moving data from an old Windows 98 desktop PC to my new Windows 10 PC?

Discus and support Can I have help moving data from an old Windows 98 desktop PC to my new Windows 10 PC? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've got this really old Gateway desktop PC that started life as a Windows 95 or earlier (I forget) that I'm wanting to get rid of. It's been sitting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Jeff A. Davis, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Can I have help moving data from an old Windows 98 desktop PC to my new Windows 10 PC?

I've got this really old Gateway desktop PC that started life as a Windows 95 or earlier (I forget) that I'm wanting to get rid of. It's been sitting unused forever and I disconnected it from my home network years ago when I needed more places to plug stuff into my router since I have 2 Windows XP machines & 2 Windows 10 machines on it.
    That old Gateway PC has a 3-1/2" floppy drive that I don't have any discs for and never will, along with a CD drive, a DVD drive and I just discovered that it even has 2 USB ports on the back that I never knew existed.

I've tried endlessly to save the 500mb of Photos and Docs on it onto either a CD or DVD but from all I can tell, they both must be broken or at least maybe the formatting of the discs that I do in a drive on my Windows 10 DELL isn't correct.
    Heck, during the formatting process, I even thought that since I'm wanting to use the CD in that old beast Gateway thing, I should set the File System setting from UDF 2.01 (Default) to UDF 1.50, thinking I should use the oldest one it had.
    Nothing has worked and I've tried reformatting & Copy/Pasting a bunch of times.

Oddly, it will seem like it is writing to a CD and it shows it stepping thru the Videos, Photos and Docs, but I'll always keep hearing the drive's motor start & stop every 5 or 10 seconds & then if I wait long enough, it does finally show all of the files.
    But it's totally weird that if I put another blank CD in that same drive, it shows as if all those same files are on it too.

Weird. That must be some flaw in that old Windows 98 Operating System I guess.
    I'd at first tried sticking a USB adapter with a flash card in, thinking that would be super quick. But, it wasn't recognized and something told me that it needed a driver, which isn't possible to get on that PC since it isn't connected anymore to the internet.
    So, sorry about all this talk but after spending countless hours, I've concluded that it might be best & easiest to just bring that old PC into my home office & park it next to this Windows 10 DELL Inspirion, hook them together somehow directly with a USB cable instead of thru the router, and then maybe I could just access the old PC's drive and Copy my data off of it.
    After all, then I can either burn it onto a tiny flash card or just let it stay on my D: hard drive on this where all of my data is. My C: with Windows & my programs is an SSD to make it super fast.
    So, I've rambled on but I do need some basic help in knowing that the old hard drive will be able to be accessed by my new PC if I just connect them with a USB cable or will I need to have a keyboard, mouse and monitor on the old PC too?
    I've put this in Windows > Windows 10 > Files, Folders & Storage but if an Admin thinks it should somewhere else, please feel free to move it. Thanks for any help. Can I have help moving data from an old Windows 98 desktop PC to my new Windows 10 PC? :)

:)

Jeff A. Davis, Apr 29, 2019

2. Windows 98 problem

why not try to use virtual PC and emulate windows 98 on a XP machine or did someone already suggest that?

brandonwh64, Apr 29, 2019
  3. CK011885 Win User
    Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

I'm going to be building a new PC on Christmas and want to install Windows 10 on it. I have Windows 10 on my current PC, which I installed upgrading from 8.1 with the files on a USB. How do I go about installing a clean copy of Windows 10 on this new PC? I think I recall something about installing it once makes Microsoft recognize your hardware, but since this will be a PC I'm not sure what steps I need to take. Do I need to go 8.1 -> 10 or is there a method of going directly to 10?

CK011885, Apr 29, 2019
  4. r.h.p Win User

Can I have help moving data from an old Windows 98 desktop PC to my new Windows 10 PC?

Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

What's your intended PC specs ??

r.h.p, Apr 29, 2019
Thema:

Can I have help moving data from an old Windows 98 desktop PC to my new Windows 10 PC?

1. Can I have help moving data from an old Windows 98 desktop PC to my new Windows 10 PC? - Similar Threads - help moving data

2. Can I restore data/files from old pc to new pc later?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I restore data/files from old pc to new pc later?: HelloSo I recently got a new laptop and I want to know if I set up the new laptop as a new device can I still restore files from old pc later? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-restore-datafiles-from-old-pc-to-new-pc/91791a32-614b-472b-a6de-e0a7d8bde0c8
  3. Can I restore data/files from old pc to new pc later?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I restore data/files from old pc to new pc later?: HelloSo I recently got a new laptop and I want to know if I set up the new laptop as a new device can I still restore files from old pc later? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-restore-datafiles-from-old-pc-to-new-pc/91791a32-614b-472b-a6de-e0a7d8bde0c8
  4. Can i not transfer data from old laptop to new pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can i not transfer data from old laptop to new pc: a friend of mine told me when he put his microsoft account from his old pc to a new laptop all of his desktop and the programs he downloaded transformed to the new pc an I'm about to be a new pc and i dont want that to happen i want my microsoft account but with a fresh...
  5. Can i not transfer data from old laptop to new pc

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can i not transfer data from old laptop to new pc: a friend of mine told me when he put his microsoft account from his old pc to a new laptop all of his desktop and the programs he downloaded transformed to the new pc an I'm about to be a new pc and i dont want that to happen i want my microsoft account but with a fresh...
  6. Can i not transfer data from old laptop to new pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Can I move a license for a Windows 10 Pro upgrade from an old PC to a new PC?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I move a license for a Windows 10 Pro upgrade from an old PC to a new PC?: Both PC's use Windows Live. The old PC is about ready to go into the trash. Can I reuse my Pro upgrade and save about $100? submitted by /u/wrcousert [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mn9op1/can_i_move_a_license_for_a_windows_10_pro_upgrade/
  8. Moving SSD with Windows 10 from old pc to new pc

Moving SSD with Windows 10 from old pc to new pc: Hi everyone! I have an SSD with Windows 10 on it in my old computer and I'm now building a new computer. If I move the SSD from the old pc to the new one, what kind of magic should I do in order to make Windows 10 work on the new set up? I hope I explained it decently....
  9. I need help with moving my Windows 10 from my old to my new pc

I need help with moving my Windows 10 from my old to my new pc: Hello everyone i have 3 questions that i need your help with. First of all, I had windows 10 education installed on my pc for 3 years now, which was given to me for free as a collage student and i just bought a new pc and i would like to move my HDD there and format using...
  10. moving windows license from old pc to new pc

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    moving windows license from old pc to new pc: Hi, I purchased a dell PC (not windows 10 pro), and then updated it Windows 10 pro. I queried the machine to get my activation code I uninstalled the windows license from the dell, with success, How do I upgrade my surface pro 6 (just purchased) from windows home to that...