Windows 10: Can I have some help understanding Recovering Windows 10 from System Image?

Discus and support Can I have some help understanding Recovering Windows 10 from System Image? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've got some freeware, Macrium Reflect, that can make a disk image of everything that's on my C: which is a 110 GB SSD that has 72 GB Used, which is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Jeff A. Davis, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Can I have some help understanding Recovering Windows 10 from System Image?

I've got some freeware, Macrium Reflect, that can make a disk image of everything that's on my C: which is a 110 GB SSD that has 72 GB Used, which is just Windows 10 fully updated daily and any programs that I've purchased or gotten free. I think that Macrium Reflect can save the disk image onto a thumbdrive or maybe even onto an internal D: 931 GB with only 62 GB Used HDD that is connected with a SATA cable that is where I store my data.

Macrium Reflect has a forum but you can only access it if you've bought at least their $59 Home version but they're glad to give out freeware. I've actually had it for years on my old computer but even though I had it make a disk image on a schedule, I've never run it on my newest Dell Inspirion 3847 64-bit desktop. I sure wish I knew more than I do. I'm a closet geek wanna-be.

I've read that if I have a booting failure since maybe something bad happened physically to the SSD or it got corrupted, I could just put a bootable DVD or thumbdrive of the latest Windows 10 that I've made with Media Creation Tool I do have both devices set to be the first 2 in the boot order anyhow in my BIOS, and instead of installing, select to Recover from a System Image in the bottom-left.

This is what I read exactly:

1. Plug the Bootable Windows 10USB Drive into your computer and Press the Power button to start your computer.

NOTE: You may have to EnableUSB Boot in BIOS, if your computer is not booting up from USB Drive. my DellInspiron 3847 desktop is already set to boot first on either a DVD or USBthumbdrive

2. Once your computer boots,click on Repair this computer option located at the bottom left cornerof the screen.

3. Navigate to Troubleshoot >Advanced options and click on System Image Recovery.

4. Wait for your Computer toRestart and start the process of preparing System Image Recovery

5. When prompted, select yourUser Account, Enter Password and click on Continue.

6. On the next screen, make surethe latest System Image is selected and click on Next.

7. Click on the Finish button toRestore your computer from the selected System Image Backup.

So, my question after all that explaining is finally, can the Windows 10 media only Recover from a System Image if it is on a USB thumbdrive or DVD, or can I point it at the disk image that's stored on my internal HDD?

I'm just trying to learn what I can to make sure I'm doing things right in case something bad happens. Any help I get here is much appreciated and if you could teach me this little bit rather than just giving me links where I can teach myself, that would be the best.

Also, is there anything else that I should know?

:)

Jeff A. Davis, Feb 28, 2021

2. Help, cant create windows image

Hello there, @fullinfusion!

It seems like some sort of an OS confusion has happened with your secondary WD Black and I'm sorry to hear about that. *Frown Can I have some help understanding Recovering Windows 10 from System Image? :(
    Maybe re-formatting it would help indeed as the community already mentioned. I'd suggest to take a look at this step-by-step how to partition and format an HDD: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=PYCoid
    Keep in mind that this will wipe clean the drive, so you should backup all important data from the drive somewhere else.
    I noticed from the screenshots that your HDD appears as Disk 0, this means that it's plugged in the primary SATA port where the SSD (as an OS drive) should be. Actually it is possible that because of this Windows cannot create the image there. Swap the ports of the SSD and the HDD, this might help as well.

Keep me posted. Hope this helped! *Smile Can I have some help understanding Recovering Windows 10 from System Image? :)
    SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD, Feb 28, 2021
  3. system image windows 10

Hi Sean,

I realize the inconvenience you are facing. Let me help you in resolving the issue.

I appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

• What exactly happens when you try to create a system image?
    • Are you getting any error message or error code on the screen?
    I would suggest that you perform the steps mentioned below to create System Recovery point in Windows 10.

Steps:

1. Open Control Panel.

2. Click on File History, click on System Image Backup located at the bottom left corner of the window.

3. Click on Create System Image from the left menu pane.

3. You will be directed to a new window where you will be able to select where you choose to create the image in.

4. Follow on screen instructions.

Refer to the below link and check if that helps:

How to: Create a system image in Windows 10

How to: Create a system image in Windows 10

Additional information:

Recovery options in Windows 10

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options

Write to us with the status of the issues experienced on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Nachappa C K, Feb 28, 2021
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Can I have some help understanding Recovering Windows 10 from System Image?

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Feb 28, 2021
Thema:

Can I have some help understanding Recovering Windows 10 from System Image?

1. Can I have some help understanding Recovering Windows 10 from System Image? - Similar Threads - help understanding Recovering

2. I accidentally tried to recover from a corrupted system image backup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I accidentally tried to recover from a corrupted system image backup: OK, so I made a system image backup and tried to test it by restoring my perfectly healthy system from it. The problem is, I forgot to check if the backup was corrupted or not. As it turns out, it was. Now my system won't boot, and the automatic disk repair tool isn't...
  3. Trying to recover system from a image created, I have an external SSD with...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Trying to recover system from a image created, I have an external SSD with...: Hello,A few days ago, my windows 10 was hacked, all my files where encrypted, lost gmail accounts, etc.I decided to run a recovery and restore from windows to files.Luckily I have an external SSD with a WindowsBackupImage created a month ago with the native app on windows...
  4. Can I boot from windows system image backup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I boot from windows system image backup: I have two internal drives on my desktop. I use the native windows application - backup and restore (windows 7) to create a system image. If my primary disk fails am I able to boot from the backup disk by changing boot order on startup? submitted by /u/john464646 [link]...
  5. Help with Windows 10 System Image

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help with Windows 10 System Image: Hello, I have two exact computers and one is going in for warranty repair and the other is a loaner. I'm trying to image my existing laptop's harddrive and restore it on the loaner laptop. When I run the image tool, it completes with no problems and saves the image on my...
  6. Recover Windows 10 from Image Backup

Recover Windows 10 from Image Backup: My computer crashed and windows 10 in ssd got corrupted. I have an image backup in my harddisk but I can't restore it. So I removed the hdd and reinstalled w10 on the ssd. however i logged in windows with my microsoft account and this personalized the os, making me unable...
  7. Can not recover with from a System Image Backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Can not recover with from a System Image Backup: Story: I have 6 Windows 10 systems. The drive in my G60 laptop just crashed out completely and while the three partitions can be seen in another PC neither the size nor any other information is available - it's trashed. It's 10 Home upgraded from Windows 7 back in the free...
  8. Recover System Image

Recover System Image: Hello, I am having trouble recovering a system image. I created a system image on a USB flash drive following these steps that someone posted on these forums. - create a directory on your USB drive - right-click the directory and choose "Share with", "Specific people" -...
  9. Help needed to recover a windows image.

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Help needed to recover a windows image.: Hello folks, I am a windows insider and the last build completely screwed up my computer. The screen kept flashing so fast that it could not load the login wallpaper. Having had this problem with WI before, I am quite fastidious in making windows system images and as I...
  10. Recover Folders of Files from System Image?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Recover Folders of Files from System Image?: It looks like I have made an error by creating a System Image instead of Backing Up my folders and files. I admit to being a bit confused as to what the difference is (or was) between the two. Following a BSoD (although I could access Advanced Options, and could boot up...