Windows 10: can I have the modified date never changed?

Discus and support can I have the modified date never changed? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; For example, I have a document, whenever I make a slight change, the modified date would be updated. However, this is not what I want, in most cases I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Tsw88, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Tsw88 Win User

can I have the modified date never changed?

For example, I have a document, whenever I make a slight change, the modified date would be updated. However, this is not what I want, in most cases I would like to keep an understanding of when the major change of the file was done.

Creation date could also changes if the files are copied instead of moving, which will not help.

In other words, is is possible to have the modified date of the files always unchanged by default

:)

Tsw88, Jun 30, 2019
  2. Aaron_Sum Win User

Illogical date modified updating

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that the modified date is just as important as the created date within the metadata of a given file. We will look into this for you.
    However, in order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

1. What is the build of Windows 10 running on your system?
    2. Was there any major change or an update on your system prior to which you weren’t facing this issue?
    3. Is the issue only with the pictures taken from the camera or the other pictures and files within the system as well?

Meanwhile, I would suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it is helpful to you.

Method 1: Enable the Date Modified Column in the File Explorer.

To enable the Date modified column within the particular folder, please follow the steps below.

1. Open the Folder in which you wish to see the Date modified column.
    2. Right-click on the
      Header for Name, date, type etc. This will give you a list of columns that can be displayed.
    3. Select the option Date modified, clearing the tick removes that column.
    4. Modify a file and check if it is being reflected in the Date modified column.

If the issue still persists, where you aren’t able to see the value in the Date modified column even after making the changes to the particular file, please follow ‘Method 2’.

Method 2: Create a new user account.

This issue could be due to profile corruption. Hence to eliminate possibilities, I would suggest you to ‘Create
    a local user or administrator account
    ’ and check if the issue persists.

Note:
    You will not see all your files under your default file location. So your data will be saved under C:\users\user_name.

We await your response.

Aaron Summith

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Aaron_Sum, Jun 30, 2019
  3. "Date Modified" of folder containing subfolders

Hi,

All that is being asked for here is how Windows works ie how it is meant to work. jaygourley isn't asking about corrupt file systems or putting forward a suggestion. Please just answer the question, somebody!

I have the same question. I add a file to a folder, say 'photos from 2017' Its date modified is updated...as you'd expect, because its contents have changed. 'photos from 2017' lives as a subfolder of 'All My Photos'. 'All My Photos's date modified does
    not change when the file is added to 'photos from 2017', presumably because it still has the same contents as before...the list of files and folders within 'All My Photos' are the same ones, even if the modified date for 'photos from 2017' has changed.

This is logical in one sense, but not always what's wanted.

So the question is...can behaviour be changed (system-wide or per-folder) so that the date modified for 'All My Photos' reflects the date *anything* within it, right down to the bottom of the file tree, gets modified (ie a file is changed and saved, or a
    subfolder gets a file added or deleted). So I know just from looking at the Date Modified for 'All My Photos' if something was added/changed/deleted somewhere within its tree. Or is there another attribute other than 'Date Modified' that would show this?

Ian

Henry Dishtowel, Jun 30, 2019
  4. Xylee Del Win User

File Explorer Date Created and Modified not always correct

Hi,

The File Explorer may have encountered a system conflict that caused this issue. For us to start with initial troubleshooting, we'd like to know more information, kindly answer the following questions:

• Which build and version of Windows 10 do you have?
    • In File Explorer, what does it indicate in the Date column? Does it show Date Modified or Date Created? (right click the Date Modified section at the top, which are the ones that has a checkmark?)
    • Which troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Kindly get back to us for further assistance.

Xylee Del, Jun 30, 2019
Thema:

1. can I have the modified date never changed? - Similar Threads - modified date never

2. how can i change modified date of group of picture to match creation date

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how can i change modified date of group of picture to match creation date: i want to reorder some photos for my android phone to be able to show to my correctly i failed to do that using android appif you there is a way to chage mod date to match creation date or any other sort methods i would be very gratefulthanks...
  3. how can i change modified date of group of picture to match creation date

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how can i change modified date of group of picture to match creation date: i want to reorder some photos for my android phone to be able to show to my correctly i failed to do that using android appif you there is a way to chage mod date to match creation date or any other sort methods i would be very gratefulthanks...
  4. how can i change modified date of group of picture to match creation date

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can preserve date created & date modified date and timestamp?

Can preserve date created & date modified date and timestamp?: How can I preserve the date created & date modified date & timestamps when copying/moving between laptop and onedrive? I have tried to use softwares like vice versa pro below but it doesn't work. Are there other software solutions that can solve this problem or is there a way...
  6. Change multiple Date Modified entries

in Windows 10 Support
    Change multiple Date Modified entries: Is it possible to achieve the following by either command prompt, PowerShell, batch file, VBS script or any other tool please? I have folders containing subfolders, and in each subfolder there is a single file with extension '.ino', with the same filename as the subfolder....
  7. Date modified changed for thousands of files

Date modified changed for thousands of files: Hi, On my Windows 10 laptop with a Samsung SSD I have experienced some weird behavior tonight: I have roughly 11.000 files with date modified "today" since I started the laptop in the afternoon. Many of these files are in tmp folders e.g. AppData/Local/Temp or in folders...
  8. Can I prevent the date modified date from changing when I open a file?

Can I prevent the date modified date from changing when I open a file?: I just purchased a Yoga 730 and I notice when I open a file the "date modified" date is changing to the current date. This wasn't happening on my Envy, both are running Windows 10. This is VERY annoying as I will use the modified date often. Thanks!...
  9. Can the "Date modified" be changed for customized Win boot media?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can the "Date modified" be changed for customized Win boot media?: I've written a program that can take multiple Windows 10 images, inject updates into them, then combine them all into a single bootable image. In the screenshot below, I am displaying all the x64 editions on this bootable thumb drive. All of them have been updated with the...
  10. Can I have the creation dates and modified dates preserved on copying?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Can I have the creation dates and modified dates preserved on copying?: I want to backup some files, I find that if I just copy and paste, the copied files in the new location has the new creation and/or modification dates. Is it possible to preserve those "dates" as the original one? 128344