Windows 10: can i install win 10 from hdd to another hdd?

Discus and support can i install win 10 from hdd to another hdd? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; i just bought new hdd and i want to install win 10 on it. i have a working win 10 and win 10 iso, can i just install win 10 to my other hard drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TheViper, Sep 22, 2015.

1. TheViper Win User

can i install win 10 from hdd to another hdd?

i just bought new hdd and i want to install win 10 on it. i have a working win 10 and win 10 iso, can i just install win 10 to my other hard drive without usb or dvd?

:)

TheViper, Sep 22, 2015

2. Lost Win 10 key

I updated Win 7 to Win 10 Aug 2015. A week or so ago (10/2016) I replaced HDD in laptop by SDD and performed clear installation of Win 10 from a flash drive.

Key is lost, ShowKey number is NOT accepted for Activation (Win 7 key too). I formatted HDD and installed as F: to run ONLY files and documents, not OS.

I have another laptop running Win 10. Can I use it's number, BTW ?

Unable to Activate, despite having MS Account . Please, advice.

KirillRikher, Sep 22, 2015
  3. georgekts Win User
    Windows 10 activation problem after H/W change

Hello! First i upgrade to win 10 from win 8.1 using an hdd and then installed a ssd to my laptop and do an install of win 10. i deactivate the key from win 10 of the hdd and used it to win 10 at the ssd but it show this error 0xc004f050. can someone help
    me?

(i hope that i don't confuse you)

georgekts, Sep 22, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

With both HD's connected to the PC. Install Macrium Reflect Free then run. Select the HD with Windows OS running, click on clone this disk. A windows will popup, select the new HD as destination drive.

NOTE: The destination drive must be larger or equal in size.

can i install win 10 from hdd to another hdd? [​IMG]

topgundcp, Sep 22, 2015
  5. TheViper Win User
    but i want clean install for the new hard drive

TheViper, Sep 22, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    The easiest, BY FAR, way to do that will be to create a Windows 10 install USB or DVD to boot from using the ISO you have and to have only the new hard drive connected during the installation. The reason is in order to do a clean install on the new hard drive, without booting from an Install USB or DVD, you will have to have a compatible operating system to mount the iso file in and run setup.exe from it. You can point the setup to the new hard drive and it will do a clean install to it, but what will happen is instead of putting the boot files onto the new hard drive as a standalone drive capable of booting itself, it will create a dual boot setup by updating the boot files on the old hard drive.

Unless your goal is that you want to end up with a dual boot situation.

Once you end up with a dual boot situation, it is possible to create the boot files on the new hard drive to make it a standalone boot device, but that is an extra step that I can only get to work after a couple of trial and error attempts.

NavyLCDR, Sep 22, 2015
  7. TheViper Win User
    ok i will just use usb

TheViper, Sep 22, 2015
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

When it asks you for a product key (assuming Windows 10), click the tiny text for "skip" or "do this later". Will have to skip or do this later two or three times during the install. Windows 10 is supposed to activate itself based on your previously installation of Windows 10 activation that was stored on Microsoft activation servers.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. can i install win 10 from hdd to another hdd? - Similar Threads - install hdd another

2. Install of Win 10 from old HDD to new SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Install of Win 10 from old HDD to new SSD: My PC has a WD 1 T HDD as the primary drive with Win 10 installed. There is also an 2nd older WD HDD for data storage purposes if ever needed - unlikely.I recently bought a new 500 GB SSD drive. I would like to install my WIN 10 on the new SSD using it as the primary drive.To...
  3. Install of Win 10 from old HDD to new SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Install of Win 10 from old HDD to new SSD: My PC has a WD 1 T HDD as the primary drive with Win 10 installed. There is also an 2nd older WD HDD for data storage purposes if ever needed - unlikely.I recently bought a new 500 GB SSD drive. I would like to install my WIN 10 on the new SSD using it as the primary drive.To...
  4. Install of Win 10 from old HDD to new SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Is it worth it to install Win 10 in a second HDD?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is it worth it to install Win 10 in a second HDD?: I've got Win10 up and running in my machine. And I've also got a 500GB HDD lying around and that got me thinking: Is it worth it to have the Windows installation in a different drive? Are there any performance gains if I use one HDD for Windows only and the other one for...
  6. Installing Windows on another HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installing Windows on another HDD: Greetings So my old Hard drive broke and I installed a small SSD (111GB) and on that SSD Linux Ubuntu. It's a great OS but I need the Microsoft office apps to do my Homework. My Question where, if I buy a single use Win 10 Key and install Windows on the small drive, is it...
  7. Can not install window 10 from external HDD

Can not install window 10 from external HDD: Dear all I try in stall windows 10 from externall HDD, but my PC show the massage as the below. My PC is Lenovo Ideapad C340. What should I do?[IMG]...
  8. installing win 10 on a new hdd

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    installing win 10 on a new hdd: I purchased a Sony laptop several years ago that came with win8 MS offered a free upgrade to win10 that I took advantage of When my unit crashed a while back, I was able to download a media creation tool to a flash drive. to reintall win 10 I now have to replace this hd...
  9. Can I Clone A System Config From an Old Win 10 HDD

Can I Clone A System Config From an Old Win 10 HDD: I have a pretty shoddy old eMachines PC running Win 10 Home edition 32-bit. I had decided to replace it with something newer and quicker but before I could get around to doing so the machine has crashed and won't boot. When I boot the box I get nothing on the monitor no...
  10. Format HDD -- Win 10 Installed

Format HDD -- Win 10 Installed: I just went from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 --- very cool. My hard drive is clogged with a lot of old stuff; I want to reformat the drive. Question: how do I get a recovery / boot format for my new Win 10 installation? Thank you for the suggestions 43847