Windows 10: Can I install Win10 on a Laptop with a Win8.1 key in the UEFI-BIOS

Discus and support Can I install Win10 on a Laptop with a Win8.1 key in the UEFI-BIOS in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Can I still install Win10 on a Laptop with a Win8.1 key in its UEFI-BIOS? I tried but when starting the install routine from USB-Stick it asks me for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by 46g_47f7xnt4dr4p, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Can I install Win10 on a Laptop with a Win8.1 key in the UEFI-BIOS

Can I still install Win10 on a Laptop with a Win8.1 key in its UEFI-BIOS?

I tried but when starting the install routine from USB-Stick it asks me for a key.

I was wondering about that because I thought that the install routine would check the UEFI-BIOS for a valid key.

I entered the key from the UEFI-BIOS manually by myself but the routine did not accept it.

So I didn't install Win10 because I don't want to have a not activated one.

:)

46g_47f7xnt4dr4p, Apr 4, 2019
  2. TuRaSa Win User

How to use Win8 Pro key for Win10 Pro upgrade?

i have a Win7 Home laptop, which was automatically updated to Win10 Home by Microsoft push. I had purchased a Win8 Pro key earlier but I had not updated my laptop to Win8 Pro before Microsoft's auto update. By default Microsoft installed Win10 Home. Now
    I am not able to upgrade Win10 Home to Win10 Pro as the Activation screen keeps on telling me that the Win8 Pro key is not valid for Win10 Home.

How can I upgrade my laptop to Win10 Pro using my Win8 Pro key and not needing to purchase a separate Win10 Pro key?

TuRaSa, Apr 4, 2019
  3. ZoulJay Win User
    Upgrade from win8 to win10

I have already upgrade from win8 to win10 before 29 July 2016. After that my HDD is broken, I have to install windows on my new SSD. I use same key which I use to upgrade from win8 to win10 to install win8 (Niow it's 8.1). Today, I want to upgrade win10
    and I have some question.

1. Is there a upgrade directly from win8.1 to win10 ??

2. Can I use my win8 key to install win10 using windows10 installation media (with clean installation).

Thanks

ZoulJay, Apr 4, 2019
  4. Can I install Win10 on a Laptop with a Win8.1 key in the UEFI-BIOS

Win10 updated from Win8 - does clean install loose product key?

I have Pavilion laptop with Win8 recovery option. I've upgraded my Win8 to Win10 via the free option. Now I need a clean install (format c: equal).

Should I:
    1. Install Win10 directly from the usb flash I used to install my desktop? If so what happens with product key, can it be found and saved before I run down my laptop? Does it matter that I'm sharing an IP adress with the desktop = another (actually purchased) Win10?

2. Run full recovery on laptop and when win8 pops up do another upgrade? Is it still free?

3. other?

Thanks for help.

ScothMcBeast, Apr 4, 2019
Thema:

Can I install Win10 on a Laptop with a Win8.1 key in the UEFI-BIOS

1. Can I install Win10 on a Laptop with a Win8.1 key in the UEFI-BIOS - Similar Threads - install Win10 Laptop

2. Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?: Same as the question. 1 Do I need a new Win10 product key ? 2 Do I need to enter the old Win8 product key ? I don't know my Win8 key as it was bought many years ago. Thank you for answering....
  3. How can I restore a Win10 laptop which is upgraded from Win8

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I restore a Win10 laptop which is upgraded from Win8: Hi,I have a ASUS ROG laptop which is old but still working.It had Windows 8 as initial OS, then I upgraded it to Windows 10 with Microsoft free upgrade promotion.Yesterday I want to reset it. And it took whole night and stuck somewhere.Now I try to reinstall a windows 10.But...
  4. How can I restore a Win10 laptop which is upgraded from Win8

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I restore a Win10 laptop which is upgraded from Win8: Hi,I have a ASUS ROG laptop which is old but still working.It had Windows 8 as initial OS, then I upgraded it to Windows 10 with Microsoft free upgrade promotion.Yesterday I want to reset it. And it took whole night and stuck somewhere.Now I try to reinstall a windows 10.But...
  5. How can I restore a Win10 laptop which is upgraded from Win8

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Hello, installing win10 on an laptop with no OS, can I or should I delete the uefi and...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hello, installing win10 on an laptop with no OS, can I or should I delete the uefi and...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/TheDenjl [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/iwchyc/hello_installing_win10_on_an_laptop_with_no_os/
  7. How to clone Win10 (UEFI) installation to non-UEFI laptop?

How to clone Win10 (UEFI) installation to non-UEFI laptop?: Hello. I have my work laptop (main) with Windows 10 installation (UEFI, GPT) where all apps already installed and configured. Recently I was given an old notebook (secondary) with Windows 8.1 installation (legacy BIOS, non-UEFI, MBR). Is there more or less simple way to...
  8. Win10 not booting after Linux installation - UEFI/BIOS conflict?

Win10 not booting after Linux installation - UEFI/BIOS conflict?: Thanks again topgundcp. This solved the problem. To verify how well Macrium Rescue performs I tried fixing the boot immediately after backing up? It worked.
  9. Hmm... Overall I think Win8(.1 update 1) is better than Win10.

in Windows 10 Support
    Hmm... Overall I think Win8(.1 update 1) is better than Win10.: "Reset This PC" Confusion Firstly it seems MS have gotten-rid of the 'Refresh This PC' terminology to describe the distinction between keeping files but keeping settings/apps intact, or removing both files and apps/settings (the old Reset This PC). After you make this first...
  10. Can I switch from Win8 x32 to Win10 x64?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can I switch from Win8 x32 to Win10 x64?: I've been wanting to switch to x64 to take advantage of the extra RAM I have. I figured an OS upgrade will be a good time to do that. So do I need to install Win8 x64 now to get the Win10 x64 download/upgrade? It would easier to just do a clean install of Win10 x64...