Windows 10: Can I keep windows 10 electronic license when replacing motherboard?

Discus and support Can I keep windows 10 electronic license when replacing motherboard? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Will windows 10 electronic license transfer to a new motherboard in same computer?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by GeorgeRodak1, May 17, 2021.

1. Can I keep windows 10 electronic license when replacing motherboard?

Will windows 10 electronic license transfer to a new motherboard in same computer?

:)

GeorgeRodak1, May 17, 2021

2. REplacing motherboard with refurbished motherboard

Hi Keith,

to keep license you need to replace motherboard by warranty. Sorry that are the license terms. If this will be warranty replacement please remember technician to do steps necessary for license keeping.

Igor Leyko, May 17, 2021
  3. krimetal Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade license

Hello guys,

I have 1 license of WIndows 8.1 FPP/retail license. I want to upgrade to WIndows 10, but I one thing is unclear to me.
    If I upgrade, will WIndows 10 license be retail or it will "turn" into some sort of OEM license?

I ask this because I upgrade my PC, you know, more memory, replace HDD, and I intend to upgrade the MB and CPU to Kaby Lake platform sometime in the future, (and of course sell the replaced hardware)
    This thing is not clearly mentioned anywhere.

Thank you.

krimetal, May 17, 2021
  4. harshsyd Win User

Can I keep windows 10 electronic license when replacing motherboard?

Windows 10 License (after motherboard change)

Hi, so recently I built a PC in 2014 and now the motherboard is starting to go really fishy and I can feel it is slowly going to die.

I've got Windows 10 Pro installed on my PC, with a Gigabyte Motherboard. It was upgraded from Windows 8 Pro. Apparently it is a RETAIL version if I check via "cmd: slmgr -dli".

Now in a few days there's two things I might do; Replace my faulty motherboard to a new one (same model) OR since it is a second fail, change the motherboard from Gigabyte to ASUS.

Now I've got a few questions;

• If I replaced my motherboard to same gigabyte model (except the serial/ID will change for sure), Windows will mostly fail to activate right? If I change/replace to another same model motherboard, can I reactivate Windows? (I tried this on my first fail
      last year, and installing win8 and re-upgrading allowed me to activate).
    • If I changed motherboard from Gigabyte to ASUS, will I still be able to reactivate Windows?
    I've got my license linked to my Microsoft Account. I've online that after a hardware fail/change I can still activate Windows after all.

Also I got some questions on how this account links work;

• So if I linked my License to my MS Account, I should be able to activate on a motherboard replacement right? (Gigabyte model) - by clicking "I changed hardware recently".
    • How about if I change Motherboard to an ASUS one, will I still be able to activate via using MS Account Link?

Also one my first fail; I cannot remember for sure but I think I just input my Windows 8 key into Windows 10 on my first-time replaced Gigabyte mobo and activation was fine.

ALSO: As my license is Retail; And a Retail license should allow transfer rights, wouldn't I be able to transfer my license anyway from my current motherboard to my new replaced/new company mobo? If so, how would I perform this step? Would
    I need to deactivate on this faulty mobo first or what so?

Thanks! I'm a bit confused!

harshsyd, May 17, 2021
Thema:

Can I keep windows 10 electronic license when replacing motherboard?

1. Can I keep windows 10 electronic license when replacing motherboard? - Similar Threads - keep electronic license

2. Cannot reactivate Windows 10 after motherboard replacement with digital license

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Cannot reactivate Windows 10 after motherboard replacement with digital license: Here is the detailed description of the problem:PC was built by me in 2011. Windows 7 Pro purchased retail version was installedproduct key was used and Windows activatedMachine was upgraded to Windows 10 Pro via the 2015 free upgrade offer.Digital license was created by...
  3. Cannot reactivate Windows 10 after motherboard replacement with digital license

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot reactivate Windows 10 after motherboard replacement with digital license: Here is the detailed description of the problem:PC was built by me in 2011. Windows 7 Pro purchased retail version was installedproduct key was used and Windows activatedMachine was upgraded to Windows 10 Pro via the 2015 free upgrade offer.Digital license was created by...
  4. Cannot reactivate Windows 10 after motherboard replacement with digital license

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can I replace a Windows 10 OEM license SDD newer motherboard with an HDD with Windows 10...

Can I replace a Windows 10 OEM license SDD newer motherboard with an HDD with Windows 10...: I recently purchased a refurbished Dell Optiplex 7090 that has a Windows 10 Pro OEM license key. It has a 256GB SSD which is not enough room for what I need. My old computer, Dell Inspiron 3847, has an 8TB HDD with a Windows 10 Pro Retail License. Can I put the 8TB HDD in the...
  6. Can I replace a Windows 10 OEM license SDD newer motherboard with an HDD with Windows 10...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I replace a Windows 10 OEM license SDD newer motherboard with an HDD with Windows 10...: I recently purchased a refurbished Dell Optiplex 7090 that has a Windows 10 Pro OEM license key. It has a 256GB SSD which is not enough room for what I need. My old computer, Dell Inspiron 3847, has an 8TB HDD with a Windows 10 Pro Retail License. Can I put the 8TB HDD in the...
  7. Can I replace a Windows 10 OEM license SDD newer motherboard with an HDD with Windows 10...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. How can i activate my windows when motherboard and cpu were replaced

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can i activate my windows when motherboard and cpu were replaced: I had to replace my motherboard and cpu as my motherboard broke and could only get a newer motherboard and obviously had to get a new cpunow i have the activate windows message on my screen...
  9. need to replace my motherboard. Can I re-use the windows 10 license?

need to replace my motherboard. Can I re-use the windows 10 license?: I need to replace my motherboard, and I wish to know - I am able to re-use the windows 10 license? The online record in my microsoft account calls it a retail windows 10 professional version. Also does it matter if the HDD is the same or not once I need to change the...
  10. Keep windows license when replacing hard drive

Keep windows license when replacing hard drive: I have had a broken PC with a corrupt HDD hard drive for a while. I've been thinking about replacing its hard drive recently. I don't need the data in it, but if i buy a new hard drive, can I still have a windows license and stuff like that?...