Windows 10: Can I legally create a device that registers as a XUSB device?

Discus and support Can I legally create a device that registers as a XUSB device? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello all, Before doing anything, I wanted to check with the community/Microsoft to see if I can legally do this without violating any user agreement... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by philm_0, Sep 6, 2018.

1. philm_0 Win User

Can I legally create a device that registers as a XUSB device?

Hello all,

Before doing anything, I wanted to check with the community/Microsoft to see if I can legally do this without violating any user agreement or the like.

I am looking at creating a device that when plugged into a windows PC registers as a XUSB device. I want the device to look like an Xbox 360 controller. (I could buy a 360 controller but I want to create a custom, specialized case).

Would I be able to use a USB sniffer program and reverse engineer the XUSB communication protocol for my device? And then program my device to effectively function as an Xbox 360 controller?

If it turns out that others are interested in my device, would I be able to sell on the market? Or is the XUSB protocol proprietary to Microsoft and I would need to enter into some agreement with Microsoft?

As another side note, I am very much aware the the XInput API does contain a provision for the HID standard and that DirectInput is another avenue that I could take. However, I would like to first explore the XUSB option first even though it might take more work.

Moved from: Gaming on Windows 10

:)

philm_0, Sep 6, 2018
  2. Jay_answers Win User

No registered device!

Steps to do

• On your phone, go to SETTINGS
    • Here, go to ABOUT - RESET
    • When the comes back up, use your windows phone account that you use on windowsphone.com website. Your phone will be re-registered.

Jay_answers, Sep 7, 2018
  3. blsnelling Win User
    X800 GTO2 = Unknown Device

I flashed the BIOS on my X800 GTO2 last night and it is listed in the Device Manager as an Unknown Device. Is this normal?

blsnelling, Sep 7, 2018
  4. 7IM
    7im Win User

GPU-Z device list enumeration, device order?

Specifically, how are the the GPUs listed in the drop down sorted, or determined? Vendor and PCI ID? OS hardware device list? Other?

Sorry if this was answered somewhere already. Searching for "GPU LIST ORDER" and like terms were not helpful.

Thanks.

Thema:

1. Can I legally create a device that registers as a XUSB device? - Similar Threads - legally create device

2. register my device

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    register my device: I need help registering my chromebook please! ***Moved from: Other Windows mobile devices / Using Windows 10 on phone.*** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/register-my-device/452aa63a-c273-4923-9ac5-fbdb61fb2eba"
  3. How can I restore this device......D:\ ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How can I restore this device......D:\ ?: How can I restore this device......D:\ ? Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39) Object Name not found. Device Manager returns this information. TSST corp CDDVDW SN208AB Properties. (Driver File Details)...
  4. Can I legally create a device that registers as a XUSB device?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I legally create a device that registers as a XUSB device?: Hello all, Before doing anything, I wanted to check with the community/Microsoft to see if I can legally do this without violating any user agreement or the like. I am looking at creating a device that when plugged into a windows PC registers as a XUSB device. I want the...
  5. Failed to create D3D Device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Failed to create D3D Device: Hello, Whenever I try to open Counter Strike the game just fails to open. The main application doesn't open and a pop up saying "Failed to create D3D Device" appears. I've tried to -> Uninstall Graphics Driver -> Update Graphics Driver -> Reinstall the game...
  6. registering a Device

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    registering a Device: Hi My Son got a PC for Christmas and set up an MS account, which he has subsequently forgotten his password for, and the back up email which he added was my husbands old work address. In true form for an 11 year old he didn't fill in the account details correctly and now...
  7. registering a Device

in Windows 10 Customization
    registering a Device: Hi My Son got a PC for Christmas and set up an MS account, which he has subsequently forgotten his password for, and the back up email which he added was my husbands old work address. In true form for an 11 year old he didn't fill in the account details correctly and now...
  8. Failed to create the D3D9 device, This can happen if the desktop is locked

in Windows 10 News
    Failed to create the D3D9 device, This can happen if the desktop is locked: [ATTACH] The more advanced games are pretty sensitive to the resolution of the screen, moreover if we are playing them through an external game launcher like Steam. I have seen conflicts with the screen resolution blacking out the screen totally or [...] This post Failed to...
  9. Bluetooth not registering in device manager (QCA9565)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bluetooth not registering in device manager (QCA9565): Hey TenForums, I've recently decided to add a better bluetooth module to my desktop, than a 2$ dongle, so I decided that the cheapest alternative was to get a PCIe to mPCI adapter card and slot in a wireless card from an old laptop. This seemed to work beautifully, as it...
  10. I can see Devices, but Cannot Open Networked Devices

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I can see Devices, but Cannot Open Networked Devices: I recently installed Windows 10 on a laptop. I have a bunch of computers on the network to include a WD MyCloud and a shared printer. The Win 10 computer can 'see' the devices in Network file explorer. When I attempt to open a computer or the MyCloud, I get an error message...