Windows 10: Can I make a system image back-up on a usb instead of an external drive?

Discus and support Can I make a system image back-up on a usb instead of an external drive? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I watched a video describing the process of making a system image back up (not a recovery drive) but the guy explaining said that an external hard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/xdxdxdk, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Can I make a system image back-up on a usb instead of an external drive?

I watched a video describing the process of making a system image back up (not a recovery drive) but the guy explaining said that an external hard drive would be needed. But they didnt mention if a usb stick could be used. So, if I use one instead of a drive will this process work? Should the usb have any specifications (certain type, storage capacity etc.) or is any usb just fine? Also is there anything that I should be careful about when using a usb?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

submitted by /u/xdxdxdk
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/xdxdxdk, Jul 21, 2020
  2. fjcamry Win User

Can't make a recovery image on my external back up drive

What I attempted to do was to change the system back up to my internal storage drive Can I make a system image back-up on a usb instead of an external drive? :D instead of the external HD. It created a recovery image to the Can I make a system image back-up on a usb instead of an external drive? :D drive. I then deleted the windows image drive on my external drive from the windows 7 days. I transferred
    a copy of the windows image file from the Can I make a system image back-up on a usb instead of an external drive? :D drive to the windows image file folder in the external drive. This kept a current back up window image file in the external hd.

Next I went to the windows recovery and back up option in windows 10. I changed the back up drive location from the Can I make a system image back-up on a usb instead of an external drive? :D drive back to the external hd. Now running the windows back up works successfully and put a recovery image and back up files to the external
    hd.

fjcamry, Jul 21, 2020
  3. Windows System Image Cannot, and Will Not Back-up To External Hard Disk!

Hi George,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We'd like to get more information regarding the issue.

1. How exactly are you trying to back up your system image backup?
    2. What are the error messages you are getting?

We would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below.

1. Uninstall back up program which you are using from computer manufacturer, because if there are any backup software, windows backup and restore may not function properly.
    2. Follow the steps mentioned in the

Link
      to perform clean boot.

Disclaimer: A ‘clean boot’ starts Windows with a minimal set of drivers and startup programs, so that you can determine whether a background program is interfering with your game
    or program.

Your computer may temporarily lose some functionality while in a clean boot environment, however, that functionality will return when you
    reset the computer to start normally after you have finished your troubleshooting.

Then you may go through the
    Link
    to create and back up the system image.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking Yes or No

Manjunath H

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Manjunath_H, Jul 21, 2020
  4. Can I make a system image back-up on a usb instead of an external drive?

Windows System Image Cannot, and Will Not Back-up To External Hard Disk!

Hi, Manjunath_H, thank you very much for considering my question, and trying to figure this dysfunction with the backing up of a system image into one of my hard disk drives; because I tried to back up to another hard disk that is older, bigger, and is dedicated
    especially for backing up from main computers. The process failed again. The error messages that appear are a bit different each time, but the first, and
    most persistent message is 0x807800C5.

Again, thank you very much for trying to figure out my backing up dilemma.

GeorgeAnastasopoulos, Jul 21, 2020
Thema:

Can I make a system image back-up on a usb instead of an external drive?

1. Can I make a system image back-up on a usb instead of an external drive? - Similar Threads - system image usb

2. Backing up system image

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backing up system image: If I back up a system image on an external storage, will it erase the existing data on the external storage? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backing-up-system-image/8f04a05f-43b6-4633-b212-400d17fd1a81
  3. Make a Back up of System

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Make a Back up of System: I have Windows 10 on my computer. I have two TB SSDs. One with the system on it and the second for a backup. What is the best way to create a back up on that drive? 149468
  4. System Image Back Up

System Image Back Up: How should I prepare my hard drive for a system image back up to DVD/CD? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-image-back-up/d7cd84c5-5317-451e-8f95-d580a3f22aff
  5. Creating a system back up ISO image to USB

Creating a system back up ISO image to USB: I've just done a fresh W10 install. I'd like to create an ISO that I can use rufus (or similar/better?) to create a bootable image from USB that I can install Windows that includes all of my essential drivers and programs already installed. Is this possible? What's the best...
  6. Question about making a system image on an external hard drive

Question about making a system image on an external hard drive: If I make a system image of version 1803 on an external hard drive (using the built in software of Windows 10) and in the future want to make an image of an updated version of Windows 10, can it be made on the same external drive or is there a way to do this? Thanks in...
  7. Back up System Image

Back up System Image: Hello, I have HP pavilion laptop, and want to make System Image Back up by: Back up and Restore (Windows 7) ==> Create a system image. I have 2 physical disks in my laptop: A- Disk 0 (SSD): Windows(C) + Windows RE tools. B- Disk 1 (HDD): 1- Data (D) 2- HP Factory...
  8. can use usb flash drive to make system image backup?

can use usb flash drive to make system image backup?: Hi. I have Windows 10 Home running on Lenovo desktop. Can a 128 gb usb 3.0 flash drive be used to make a system image backup? Is a usb flash drive the same as a usb jump drive? Thanks. 73270
  9. System Image Back Up

System Image Back Up: Trying to do a system image back up on Windows 10.Get error 0x80042302.Shows back up disc disconnected.It is connected.In file history it shows the hard drive any more deals ? 60169
  10. External Toshiba Drive Labelled as 'System' when making System Image

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Toshiba Drive Labelled as 'System' when making System Image: When trying to create a System Image in the "Backup and Restore" facility built into Windows 10, my External 2TB Hard Drive wasn't displayed as a viable location. After doing some digging, it was found in the same utility that the Hard Drive in question was labelled as...