Windows 10: Can I mix Ram Sizes?

Discus and support Can I mix Ram Sizes? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Not sure if its just me but I see a lot of websites with inconsistent not very clear information. So I thought I'd ask my friends at 10 forums. Can I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Vellaura, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Vellaura Win User

Can I mix Ram Sizes?

Not sure if its just me but I see a lot of websites with inconsistent not very clear information. So I thought I'd ask my friends at 10 forums.

Can I have varying sizes ram on my mother?

From what my research tells me, yes, but it needs to be the same DDR and same speed so 1066MHz in my case.

Could I get some confirmation on this please.

Thank you =]

Windows Version 1909

:)

Vellaura, Oct 17, 2020

2. RAM

Hi,

there is no best brand, several brans are practically equal. Personally I prefer Kingston Value RAM.

Mixing two brands with identical parameters (not only size) is not a problem.

Mixing memory with different parameters (even of same brand) may cause some problems.

Check motherboard compatibility list before buying RAM.

Igor Leyko, Oct 17, 2020
  3. Ram mixing

Ram Mixing is possible by these factors:

1. Voltage and frequency must be same as the other ram.

2. Ram mixing can be only done if you have ram values multiplied by 2(eg. 2gb and 4gb, 4gb and 8gb)

3. the type of ram must have the same DDR value and DIMM type

Can I mix Ram Sizes? 64b9feda-51a0-4ee6-81e2-d61063cb78d5?upload=true.jpg

As you can see its running both 2gb and 4gb ram at the same speed on a 2 slot motherboard!

No drivers, No Anything needed. Just add your ram and done!

Just be careful of what factors that is needed to mix ram, because it can affect the motherboard itself.

Have a great day!

ClarenceAguimod0519, Oct 17, 2020
  4. Can I mix Ram Sizes?

Issues with total memory size of dedicated available RAM

Hello Gevorg,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community an we regret for the inconvenience.

From the description provided, I understand that the motherboard you are using has 4 DIMM slots which supports up to 8 GB of dedicated RAM.

To be able to understand the issue better. let us know how are you viewing the total memory size of dedicated available RAM in your PC.

Now, in one case, if you are using more than one module of RAM, and the frequencies at which they operate are not the same. There will be two outcomes:

• The modules will conflict in terms of DIMM frequencies and it will declare memory failure.
    • Instead of downclocking one or more RAM/s, the motherboard will reject the ones from being accepted.

In order to ascertain if the hardware is correctly configured, I suggest you to check the system information in the BIOS settings. Refer to the manufacturer provided manual to know more about on how to access the BIOS settings.

In another scenario, your computer may also be allocating part of your RAM to other hardware modules, such as your network hardware.

As a secondary workout, I suggest you to increase the Virtual Memory and check if it helps. Follow the steps below.

• Click Windows key + R to open the RUN command utility and type
      msconfig.exe, then press ENTER.

• Click on Boot option and select advanced options.

• Check the maximum memory box and change the value accordingly.

• Click on Apply and Ok to save changes and click Restart the computer.

Hope the above information is helpful.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Oct 17, 2020
Thema:

Can I mix Ram Sizes?

1. Can I mix Ram Sizes? - Similar Threads - mix Ram Sizes

2. Can I mix ram brands?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I mix ram brands?: I bought SP1 DDR3 RAM 8gb. I have in my PC Kingston DDR3 4 GB. Can I mix the brands and Gigabytes? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-mix-ram-brands/4a94a74a-a4a2-4f74-b0a8-874062d065f8
  3. Can I mix ram brands?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I mix ram brands?: I bought SP1 DDR3 RAM 8gb. I have in my PC Kingston DDR3 4 GB. Can I mix the brands and Gigabytes? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-mix-ram-brands/4a94a74a-a4a2-4f74-b0a8-874062d065f8
  4. mixing ram problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    mixing ram problem: Hi, I have no idea why it happens problem sorry for my english so i'm asking here : I bought a new ram the model is Memoria GeiL DDR4 8GB 3000MHZ EVO POTENZA Black and the I wanted to use in dual channel with a Memory GeiL DDR4 8GB 3000MHz Super Light RGB Black When I turn on...
  5. mixing ram problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    mixing ram problem: Hi, I have no idea why it happens problem sorry for my english so i'm asking here : I bought a new ram the model is Memoria GeiL DDR4 8GB 3000MHZ EVO POTENZA Black and the I wanted to use in dual channel with a Memory GeiL DDR4 8GB 3000MHz Super Light RGB Black When I turn on...
  6. mixing ram problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Can I mix Ram Sizes?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can I mix Ram Sizes?: Not sure if its just me but I see a lot of websites with inconsistent not very clear information. So I thought I'd ask my friends at 10 forums. Can I have varying sizes ram on my mother? From what my research tells me, yes, but it needs to be the same DDR and same speed so...
  8. Ram mixing

Ram mixing: Ram Mixing is possible by these factors: 1. Voltage and frequency must be same as the other ram. 2. Ram mixing can be only done if you have ram values multiplied by 2eg. 2gb and 4gb, 4gb and 8gb 3. the type of ram must have the same DDR value and DIMM type [ATTACH] As...
  9. Can I mix 2x4GB ram with 2x8GB ram for a total of 24GB?

Can I mix 2x4GB ram with 2x8GB ram for a total of 24GB?: I currently have 2x4GB DDR3 ram @1600MHz and I'm planning to insert 2x8GB DDR3 advertised as 1866MHz, but pretty sure it's actually 1600 being capable of 1866 using X.M.P. Will I be fine using both of these types and running both on 1866MHz using X.M.P?...
  10. Can you mix ram speeds in the same PC

Can you mix ram speeds in the same PC: Ended up with two extra sticks of DDR3 4 gig sticks of memory after two PC upgrades to Win 10. Question is can I mix DDR3 ram sticks on the same board if the speeds are different...? What do I have to match/look for in order to use 2 ea different ram sticks/speeds in the...