Windows 10: Can I move Hibernation file to another drive on Windows 10?

Discus and support Can I move Hibernation file to another drive on Windows 10? in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; If your Windows computer has low disk space, you might be looking for a way to clear disk space – especially on the System Drive. Now, does Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Apr 25, 2021.

1. WinClub New Member

Can I move Hibernation file to another drive on Windows 10?

If your Windows computer has low disk space, you might be looking for a way to clear disk space – especially on the System Drive. Now, does Windows show you all the files and folders it contains by default? No. There are some protected files and folders that remain hidden by default. The Hibernation file or hiberfil.sys is among these protected and hidden files.

Can I move Hibernation file to another drive on Windows 10? can-I-move-hibernation-file.png

The hibernation or hiberfil.sys file is created by the Windows 10 operating system. This file is used when a user puts his system in hibernation mode. Many users confuse the term hibernation with sleep mode. Though both of these modes are used to save power supply when the system is not in use, there is a difference between hibernation and sleep mode.

While the sleep mode saves the data in RAM, hibernation mode saves data on the hard drive. Due to this feature, the hibernation file takes massive space on the System or C drive. Since the C drive should have empty space for the better performance of the system, many users have a question, “Can I move the hibernation (hyberfil.sys) file to another drive?”

Read: How to reduce the size of hiberfil.sys.

Can I move the hiber.sys file to another drive?

Can you really move it? The answer is No!

When you hibernate your PC, Windows stores the current state of your system in the hiberfil.sys file. When you turn on your PC after hibernation state, it takes the information stored in the hiberfil.sys file and lets you resume your work from where you had left. This means that the hibernation file is required in the boot process. For this, it needs to be placed in the boot drive of the system.

If a user wants to read the boot files off the disk, he needs the file system driver. But, the file system driver is located on the disk. The hiberfil.sys also follows the same pattern. In the case of the hibernation file, a miniature file system driver is used. The miniature file only knows to locate the file in the root directory of the boot drive and load it into the memory whenever required. Also, the miniature file system does not understand the mount points.

To change the location of the hiberfil.sys file, the miniature file system should know the location and mount points. For this, you have to access the Disk Management Tool and configure the hard drives, which is a complex process. That’s why Windows does not support moving the hibernation file from the boot drive to another drive.

Can I delete the Hibernation file?

This is another question that many Windows users have. Many users want to delete it to free up space. Well, you can – and the best way would be to disable Hibernation by executing the following command in CMD:

powercfg /hibernate off

When you turn off Hibernation on your laptop, the hiberfil.sys file will get deleted.

Hope this article helped you understood why you cannot move and delete the hibernation file.

Read next: How to specify Hiberfile type as full or reduced.

Can I move Hibernation file to another drive on Windows 10? can-I-move-hibernation-file.png
    This article Can I move Hibernation file to another drive on Windows 10? first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, Apr 25, 2021
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Apr 25, 2021
  3. Windows 10 Hibernate problems

I suggest you to follow the methods provided below and check if it helps.

I suggest you to run the Power troubleshooter by following the steps below and check if for any power components change status.

• Press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type troubleshooting and select the top most search result.
    • Click on View All from the left side panel of the window.
    • Select Power from the options, click on Advanced option and check Apply repairs automatically option.
    • Follow the on screen instructions and wait for the troubleshooting to complete.
    • Check for the missing/corrupted power component status of the troubleshooter, close the window and check if the issue is resolved.
    You can follow the step by step guide to
    enable hibernate option in windows 10

Swapnil Kharche, Apr 25, 2021
  4. Can I move Hibernation file to another drive on Windows 10?

hibernating windows 10

Hi Henry,

We appreciate your time and effort to get back to us.

I suggest you to enable the Hibernate option from power settings and check if you are able to access the Hibernate in power options. Follow the below steps.

Please try the steps and check if it helps.

• Press Windows + R keys on the keyboard to open Run command.

• Type powercfg.cpl to open the power settings.

• Click on the Choose what power buttons do on the left navigation pane.

• Click on Change settings that are currently unavailable (Enter the admin credentials if prompted)

• Check the Hibernate box.

• Click on Save changes.

• Restart the computer.

• Check if you are able to see the Hibernate option in power options
    I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Apr 25, 2021
Thema:

Can I move Hibernation file to another drive on Windows 10?

1. Can I move Hibernation file to another drive on Windows 10? - Similar Threads - move Hibernation file

2. Moving game and program files to another drive by using move documets to another drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving game and program files to another drive by using move documets to another drive: Hi. I want to ask if everything will work if I move files located in documents to another drive by moving docs to another drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/moving-game-and-program-files-to-another-drive-by/8edaacc9-c8fb-4128-a462-caedfe862288
  3. Moving game and program files to another drive by using move documets to another drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving game and program files to another drive by using move documets to another drive: Hi. I want to ask if everything will work if I move files located in documents to another drive by moving docs to another drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/moving-game-and-program-files-to-another-drive-by/8edaacc9-c8fb-4128-a462-caedfe862288
  4. Moving game and program files to another drive by using move documets to another drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Move Program files to another drive

Move Program files to another drive: Hi,My C drive is almost full. I would like to move some app to D Drive. I have moved some apps using Apps & Features in settings. But it can only move apps installed from Microsoft store. I have installed many softwares like Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Premiere Pro etc which tooks...
  6. Move Program files to another drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move Program files to another drive: Hi,My C drive is almost full. I would like to move some app to D Drive. I have moved some apps using Apps & Features in settings. But it can only move apps installed from Microsoft store. I have installed many softwares like Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Premiere Pro etc which tooks...
  7. Move Program files to another drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Moving Windows 10 to another drive

Moving Windows 10 to another drive: I recently reset my pc and windows got installed on the hdd instead of the ssd. I need to move it, because it's much slower now than before. So how do i do just that? How do i move windows 10 to another drive?...
  9. How can I move windows 10 boot files to another drive to allow linux

in Windows 10 Support
    How can I move windows 10 boot files to another drive to allow linux: Hi My windows 10 system boots directly from windows 10 C drive. Usually windows 10 boots from a small boot (500 mb) partition but I moved the partition to C drive using macrium reflect boot repair. When I install linux it wont boot since there is no boot partition anymore....
  10. Moving windows 10 to another drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Moving windows 10 to another drive: Hi all, So I installed a NVMe drive on my desktop computer. My windows 10 install right now is on a SATA drive, and I would like to move it to my NVMe drive as I want to get faster load times and all. Any ideas? The only way I know of is to totally reinstall windows, which...