Windows 10: Can I move Program Files folder (and x86 folder) from C: (SDD) to D: (HDD) drive?

Discus and support Can I move Program Files folder (and x86 folder) from C: (SDD) to D: (HDD) drive? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Dear Microsoft Community, I have recently purchased a HP laptop with Windows 10 (build 1809). The machine came with a 1Tb HDD. I purchased and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MarkDMT, Mar 13, 2019.

1. MarkDMT Win User

Can I move Program Files folder (and x86 folder) from C: (SDD) to D: (HDD) drive?

Dear Microsoft Community,

I have recently purchased a HP laptop with Windows 10 (build 1809). The machine came with a 1Tb HDD. I purchased and installed a 250Gb Solid State Drive and reinstalled Windows on this drive. I now have the SSD as drive C: and the HDD as D:.

My goal is to improve Boot speeds (currently at 17 seconds).

The idea would be to have all media stored on the 1Tb HDD, like photos, music, videos, downloads, games etc, and have just have the Windows operating system on SDD. Is this recommended?

I have already changed the location of Users folders to the HDD (Music, Desktop, Downloads, Videos, Documents, Saved Games). I wonder if it would be possible to also migrate the Programs Files folders to the HDD.

EaseUS software advises that: "the ideal way to make use of an SSD is not to put many large personal data files or install programs on it except for the critical system files because the massive data will affect its read/write speed".

AOMEI software instructs on how to change the Program Files folder path (From C: to DCan I move Program Files folder (and x86 folder) from C: (SDD) to D: (HDD) drive? :) by editing the Registry.

I have read from other sources, however, that the Programs Files folders are linked to the operating system and changing their location could mess things up. I would greatly appreciate any advice on this issue.

MarkD

PS: I was also playing around the the Boot options when I installed the SDD and I am not sure what the original configuration was, or the best, for boot speeds. I currently have USB Boot, Legacy and Secure Boot all disabled.

:)

MarkDMT, Mar 13, 2019

2. Is there a problem locating a program on a D: drive instead of C: which is getting full. My D: has no program files(x86) folder.

locating a program on a D: drive instead of C: which is getting full. My D: has no program files(x86) folder.

KevinThibault1, Mar 13, 2019
  3. WojtasRed Win User
    Hidden folders

I installed `Kane and Lynch` on my PC twice in Program Files(x86) folder but I can`t find them (2 folders with game). But free space on my HDD is lower. So there`re those folders on my hdd. I use option `unhide` hidden folders but still can`t find them. Any suggestions? How can i delete those hidden folders?

When I run istallation for this game I can see those folders in Program Files(x86) folde.

I`m using Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

WojtasRed, Mar 13, 2019
  4. Hoggorm Win User

Can I move Program Files folder (and x86 folder) from C: (SDD) to D: (HDD) drive?

Are the Program Files and Program Files (x86) folders important?

Hi,

I was wondering how important the two mentioned folders are when installing a software. I know most programs suggest being installed to one of them, but it is really necessary? What happens if I choose another folder?

I use the game client Steam for example. It wants to go into C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam

Does it matter if I place it in C:\Another Folder\Steam?

Are there any programs that MUST be installed in either Program Files or Program Files (x86) to work properly?

On my desktop computer I have one SSD disk (C) and one regular hard disk (D). Here I have always installed software to D:\Program Files and never seen any issues with that (note that this Program Files folder was made by me and not by Windows. Those folders are located on the C drive but never used by me).

The reason I'm asking is because I'd like to sync a few folders from a software located in \Program Files\ using Synology Cloud Station. For some reason it does not have access to the Program Files folders on the C drive (but it can access the one on D drive).

Hoggorm, Mar 13, 2019
Thema:

1. Can I move Program Files folder (and x86 folder) from C: (SDD) to D: (HDD) drive? - Similar Threads - move Program Files

2. how to move file folders from C drive to D drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to move file folders from C drive to D drive: How do I move folders from C drive to D drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-move-file-folders-from-c-drive-to-d-drive/ba455194-5c95-4cf4-8fb6-2be2a8242972
  3. how to move file folders from C drive to D drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to move file folders from C drive to D drive: How do I move folders from C drive to D drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-move-file-folders-from-c-drive-to-d-drive/ba455194-5c95-4cf4-8fb6-2be2a8242972
  4. How can I transfer files from Program Files x86 to Program Files Folder?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can I transfer files from Program Files x86 to Program Files Folder?: My laptop is a 64 bit, I noticed that some of my apps folder are installed on Program Files x86 which is for a 32 bit laptop, I recently discovered that Program Files folder are for a 64bit laptop. How can I transfer files from Program Files x86 to Program Files? Do I just...
  5. Can i move all of the program files in the C: drive into a D: drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can i move all of the program files in the C: drive into a D: drive?: i recently found out that i had a bigger drive D: in my system that wasn't activated, and I was wondering if I could move everything in the C: drive into the D: drive without messing everything up? there's hardly any space left on the C: drive while there's 500 gigabytes...
  6. Can't Move Documents Folder From C to D Drive

Can't Move Documents Folder From C to D Drive: I have not been able to move my documents folder from my C drive, which is a solid state drive, to my D drive, which is a regular hard drive. I've tried going into the folder properties and changing the location, but it doesn't move. I do not have One Drive installed on my...
  7. How to move folders/files from SDD My PC C: Drive to HDD D: Drive .....

How to move folders/files from SDD My PC C: Drive to HDD D: Drive .....: I understand the basics of clicking the location tab to move folders from C: drive to D: drive, but my question is about the path name.For example: My DOCUMENTS folder on MY PC C: drive location reads as "C: \ Users\ my name" and subfolders "C: \ Users\ my name\ documents"...
  8. Trying to move Roaming folder from C: to D: drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Trying to move Roaming folder from C: to D: drive: Im having some storage issues right now (my C drive having 35 gigs left and my D having 1T) and i wanted to move my Roaming folder over because that's whats taking up a bit of storage. is there any way to do that? Thanks. submitted by /u/xX_Bacon_Boi_Xx [link] [comments]...
  9. Move OneDrive folder from C to D

in Windows 10 Customization
    Move OneDrive folder from C to D: New Dell PC with HD C512GB and D2TB and can't figure how to move OneDrive to D HD as default place to keep all files/pictures, etc. will not let me change location. thanks...
  10. How to move a program files folder from C drive to another drive

in Windows 10 Support
    How to move a program files folder from C drive to another drive: Hello Peepz My first post so hello to all. I have a windows 10 pc (x64) hence me joining the community ;-) I have a samsung 850 evo 250GB SSD ( C Drive ) & a Seagate FireCuda SSHD 1TB ( D drive ) I'm in a predicament where my kids play a lot of games on the PC, Fortnite being...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Can I arrange program and program x86 folders?

2. move program files and users from c drive to d drive

3. move program files x86 to d drive

4. move program files from c drive to d drive