Windows 10: Can I move shadow storage to another drive on Windows 10 Home?

Discus and support Can I move shadow storage to another drive on Windows 10 Home? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I've been getting the occasional event Code: The shadow copies of volume C: were deleted because the shadow copy storage could not grow in time.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Blaq, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Blaq Win User

Can I move shadow storage to another drive on Windows 10 Home?

I've been getting the occasional event
    Code: The shadow copies of volume C: were deleted because the shadow copy storage could not grow in time. Consider reducing the IO load on the system or choose a shadow copy storage volume that is not being shadow copied.[/quote] I'm running Windows 10 Home. Is there a way to move C: shadow storage to D: on this version of Windows?

:)

2. Shadow Copy With Storage Spaces?

1 Create shadow storage

1.1 The System protection tab in System Properties

• this GUI only lists NTFS volumes, so you can't create shadow storage for ReFS volume there
    • instead try one of:
      • vssadmin add shadowstorage /for=D: /on=D: /maxsize=100GB (Windows Server only)
        • alternatively for non-server Windows editions try vssadmin resize shadowstorage /for=D: /on=D: /maxsize=10% that will add shadow storage if it does not exist and thus is comparable to vssadmin add
      • wmic shadowstorage call create Volume=D:\ DiffVolume=D:\ MaxSpace=20
        • if this command returns ReturnValue = 10 (which is Unknown error) workaround follows
      • wmic shadowcopy call create Volume=D:\
        • creating shadow copy on disk without shadow storage will create one automatically
        • you can resize the shadow storage with vssadmin resize shadowstorage /for=D: /on=D: /maxsize=10%

1.2 List shadow storages

• make sure the shadow storage is there and configured using one of:
      • vssadmin list shadowstorage
      • wmic shadowstorage list

2 Create shadow copy

2.1 Create shadow copy

• you want to use scheduled system protection feature, but for now just take a snapshot manually:
      • wmic shadowcopy call create Volume=D:\

2.2 List shadow copies

• verify the snapshot was created:
      • vssadmin list shadows /for=D:

3 Mount shadow copy

• since you are using Storage Spaces, you won't see snapshots in Previous versions tab in disk/file properties
    • but the snapshots exists and can be mounted as a folder
    • this shortage apply for both NTFS and ReFS Storage Spaces
    • to mount a snapshot you will need shadow ID, shadow path and temporary folder

3.1 Get shadow copy ID

• vssadmin list shadows /for=D:
      • look for something like this Shadow Copy ID: {5cc29315-0379-415e-8496-69923618e3de}

3.2 Get shadow copy path

• wmic shadowcopy where "ID='{5cc29315-0379-415e-8496-69923618e3de}'" get DeviceObject
    • or vssadmin list shadows /for=D:
      • look for Shadow Copy Volume: \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy624

3.3 Mount shadow copy as folder

• mklink /j %tmp%\shadow \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy624\
      • note the extra \ at the end
      • the shadow copy is now available in %tmp%\shadow

Vlastimil Ovčáčík, Jan 23, 2019
  3. EdKeay Win User
    Windows 10 Shadow Drive

I installed Windows 10 and would like now to create a shadow drive. Can you create a Windows 10 shadow drive similar to the Windows 7 function? There is a file backup feature & a recovery drive feature, but I don't see a shadow drive. It has a Window
    7 shadow drive, but does it work for Window 10? Or will we need an outside app?

Thanks,

Ed Keay

EdKeay, Jan 23, 2019
  4. 333t Win User

How to remove a bad drive in Windows 10 storage spaces pool

Could someone list the steps involved in replacing a bad drive from a Windows 10 storage spaces pool? I cannot find any info on the Microsoft support site that is specific to Windows 10. Also, could you list the steps to remove a 'good' drive and replace
    it with another drive if the process is different?

Thema:

1. Can I move shadow storage to another drive on Windows 10 Home? - Similar Threads - move shadow storage

2. Storage won't decrease after moving file to another drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage won't decrease after moving file to another drive: Recently, I purchased an external hard drive to free up some space on my C drive, i transferred my documents and videos and whatever over, and it worked fine, then i tried to move microsoft flight simulator over which is a 193 gb file, it moved over but i noticed the storage...
  3. Storage won't decrease after moving file to another drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Storage won't decrease after moving file to another drive: Recently, I purchased an external hard drive to free up some space on my C drive, i transferred my documents and videos and whatever over, and it worked fine, then i tried to move microsoft flight simulator over which is a 193 gb file, it moved over but i noticed the storage...
  4. Moving windows 10 drive to another SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving windows 10 drive to another SSD: Need to replace my current SSD. Does Windows 10 come with some kind of cloning program so I can just move my copy of Windows to the new SSD? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/moving-windows-10-drive-to-another-ssd/8ec2f84b-6438-4ae9-b2d8-0d81f535ed0c
  5. Moving windows 10 drive to another SSD

Moving windows 10 drive to another SSD: Need to replace my current SSD. Does Windows 10 come with some kind of cloning program so I can just move my copy of Windows to the new SSD? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/moving-windows-10-drive-to-another-ssd/8ec2f84b-6438-4ae9-b2d8-0d81f535ed0c
  6. Moving Windows 10 to another drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving Windows 10 to another drive: I recently reset my pc and windows got installed on the hdd instead of the ssd. I need to move it, because it's much slower now than before. So how do i do just that? How do i move windows 10 to another drive?...
  7. Can I move Hibernation file to another drive on Windows 10?

in Windows 10 News
    Can I move Hibernation file to another drive on Windows 10?: If your Windows computer has low disk space, you might be looking for a way to clear disk space – especially on the System Drive. Now, does Windows show you all the files and folders it contains by default? No. There are some protected files and folders that remain hidden by...
  8. Moving windows 10 to another drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Moving windows 10 to another drive: Hi all, So I installed a NVMe drive on my desktop computer. My windows 10 install right now is on a SATA drive, and I would like to move it to my NVMe drive as I want to get faster load times and all. Any ideas? The only way I know of is to totally reinstall windows, which...
  9. Moving Apps To Another Storage Device

Moving Apps To Another Storage Device: So Windows 10 has a feature to move apps from one drive to another. I have set my storage setting for everything to be stored on a HDD since my primary OS drive is SDD. Even though I've followed the proper steps, none of my installed apps are being stored on the HDD. I cant...
  10. Move Apps to another Drive in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Move Apps to another Drive in Windows 10: How to: Move Apps to another Drive in Windows 10 How to Move Apps to another Drive in Windows 10 In Windows 10, users can move their installed Windows apps from the Store to another drive. The default location is This PC on the Windows C: drive in the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. remove shadowstorage from external hard drive in windows

2. windows 10 shadow copy different drive

3. shadow storage