Windows 10: Can I move Windows 10 from a dead hard drive to a new drive?

Discus and support Can I move Windows 10 from a dead hard drive to a new drive? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I purchased a refurbished computer that came with Windows 7 preinstalled. I upgraded to Windows 10 when the upgrade became available. I have made... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Jon Z. Scott, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Can I move Windows 10 from a dead hard drive to a new drive?

I purchased a refurbished computer that came with Windows 7 preinstalled. I upgraded to Windows 10 when the upgrade became available. I have made regular backups of my data, but not Windows itself. The hard drive just died. Is there a way to move my copy of Windows 10 from this dead hard drive to a new drive, either HD or SSD, or must I purchase a new copy of Windows 10?

:)

Jon Z. Scott, Nov 5, 2018

2. Reinstall Windows 10 to new hard drive

Hi Rodolpho,

We want to know about the issue you're having with your recovery drive. Please answer the questions below:

• Are you trying to reinstall Windows 8 or Windows 10?
    • If you already upgraded to Windows 10, were you able to create a new copy of the recovery drive?

We suggest creating a new copy of the recovery drive and then follow the steps provided by Andre Da Costa above this thread.

Update us with the outcome so we can assist you further.

Robert Caw, Nov 5, 2018
  3. little cat, Nov 5, 2018
  4. $immond$ Win User

Can I move Windows 10 from a dead hard drive to a new drive?

Windowed Hard Drives

On the contrary, showing off "slow tech" by adding a window to a hard drive is a "dumb" idea. Do you really want to be showing off a whole "7200-10000 RPM of power" or would you rather show off a plain SSD drive? (If you really desire to "show off")

Adding any window to any drive is just stupid. I just suggested an easier option for you since manufactures don't put windows on the latest hard drives.

$immond$, Nov 5, 2018
Thema:

Can I move Windows 10 from a dead hard drive to a new drive?

1. Can I move Windows 10 from a dead hard drive to a new drive? - Similar Threads - move dead hard

2. Moving windows to a new hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving windows to a new hard drive: I've bought a new ssd hard drive, and would like to move window and everything else from my old hard drive to my new one. I have a windows 10 cd but don't want to wait for all the updates to be loaded from windows 11....
  3. Moving windows to a new hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving windows to a new hard drive: I've bought a new ssd hard drive, and would like to move window and everything else from my old hard drive to my new one. I have a windows 10 cd but don't want to wait for all the updates to be loaded from windows 11....
  4. Computer dead. Can I move hard drive to another PC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Computer dead. Can I move hard drive to another PC: my computer MB fried. I bought another computer and would like to mount my old hard drive as primary I have win 10 home OEM installed https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-dead-can-i-move-hard-drive-to-another-pc/a8f961b1-1df2-4d86-bd40-82668627c233
  5. How can I move windows from the C drive to another hard drive?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How can I move windows from the C drive to another hard drive?: My laptop has recently had multiple bsod, I didnt give it much attention until I decided to scan my hard drive and realized that the C has a physical bad sector, and to my luck I got a bsod and since then can't be on the laptop for more than 10 minutes without getting a...
  6. Dead Hard Drive Installing New One

Dead Hard Drive Installing New One: I have the product key from the old hard drive but won't let me use it on the new install. Also, it wouldn't let me get past I don't have a product key page....
  7. Windows 10 install from dead hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 install from dead hard drive: Is there a way to transfer my windows 10 and other files which live on a dead hard drive directly onto a new hard drive which i have mounted into the laptop the dead hdd came out of? I removed the dead hdd and used a sata to usb cable to check if my files are still on the...
  8. Moving to a New Hard drive

Moving to a New Hard drive: So recently my old hard drive died. I cannot go to boot or anything so I have purchased a new hard drive I'm unable to get to my operating system on my old drive since it is entirely dead I still have Windows 10 connected to my account so, how do I get my account in Windows...
  9. Recover windows from dead hard drive

Recover windows from dead hard drive: Hello there, I have a Huawei Matebook x whose hard drive is dead and won't boot. Nor am I able to get into the recovery for reset. I know I will have to replace the ssd and do a fresh windows install. I don't have a recovery disc or usb either. I was wondering if 1) there...
  10. Moving Hard Drive from dead computer to new computer without restallin

Moving Hard Drive from dead computer to new computer without restallin: Hello everyone I have a dead acer aspire axc-704g-uw61 and I want move hard drive with windows 10 to new computer a Dell Optiplex 980 without reinstall windows 10. Can anyone show right way to do this task. *Wink Thanks Robert. 91474