Windows 10: Can I move Windows 10 to M.2 but leave everything else?

Discus and support Can I move Windows 10 to M.2 but leave everything else? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I got an M.2 SSD and I am wanting to put Windows10 on it and have my PC use the M.2 when it boots up. I don't really need my other files transferred... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ignite_aim, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Can I move Windows 10 to M.2 but leave everything else?

I got an M.2 SSD and I am wanting to put Windows10 on it and have my PC use the M.2 when it boots up. I don't really need my other files transferred because they are on a 2.5" SSD and it is fast enough. I just want Windows on the new drive. Is there a way for me to do this or will I have to either start over or clone my existing drive?

It was a big pain getting all the drives and everything else on my SSD so I am trying to only move Windows if that's possible.

submitted by /u/ignite_aim
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ignite_aim, Feb 14, 2020
  2. topgundcp Win User

No Boot, Drives Not detected, Can't Load Win10 Pleses Help!

Until the BIOS sees your M.2, there's nothing you can do. It does not matter if the M.2 is unformatted/unallocated, the BIOS should see it.
    1. Suggest that you take the M.2 out, clean all the contacts and re-seat it and hope this is the case.
    2. If step one fails. Connect your 250GB SSD back in using one of the SATA port to see if the BIOS recognize it. If it doen't, then it might be something wrong with the MB, if it does then boot up the Windows Installation USB, run diskpart, shrink it at least 40GB then create a partition, Leave it unallocated then install Windows there.

Also try to re-seat all other components such as Memory, Video card etc...

topgundcp, Feb 14, 2020
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Feb 14, 2020
  4. Lagged Win User

Can I move Windows 10 to M.2 but leave everything else?

M.2 SSD not being able to boot from it, windows doesn't recognise.

Ok, this is what happened after all the comments and suggestions, @Dude: Thanx for the video, my mb had non e of those settings, it had the raid/option memory gene or achi. Can only choose one or the other. @Saltgrass, my settings did point out auto and enabled the pcie x4, gen 3. I did an bios flash as suggested, because my bios was not the latest version, after a reformat the m.2 was picked up, still cant install OS onto it as it states legacy not found, removed my dvd rom from the sata port to another, and the drive was found and installed. Only issue now is that it's still not my OS drive but it at least now works and is installed, but on the Intel rst drive the obtain memory gene option to enable is greyed out, and shows as disabled. However the program lists the M.2 and it is working 100%,. I installed overwhatch onto it, it performs perfectly. But will update the intel driver tonight and see if that makes any difference. Seems the bios flash enabled the settings listed by @Dude that was not present pre-flash.

So the m.2 drive works. I can game off it and install omnto it. Can not install windows on it, gene memmory is enabled, pcie x4 is on and on auto detect, Motherbaord lists all the drives connected, motherboard ahs been updated to latest bios. After flash new settings became available, m.2 is now on memmory gene enabled not achi, windows os is enabled and fast boost is enabled, intel rst is installed and lists all the ssds and the m.2, however the m.2 on memmory gene is dissabled and the option to enable is greyed out. Will update the driver as Essenbe suggested of the m.2 and see if anything changes. Thank you all for the help, I can now atleast use my m.2

Lagged, Feb 14, 2020
Thema:

Can I move Windows 10 to M.2 but leave everything else?

1. Can I move Windows 10 to M.2 but leave everything else? - Similar Threads - move leave everything

2. M.2 windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    M.2 windows 10: Hello, I'm trying to do a clean install of windows 10. I'm using a 250gb samsung m.2 I get the install done but windows doesn't install the eathernet or wifi drivers. So I can't connect to the web, it also won't identify the usb wifi adapter I have to try and fix it. The...
  3. M.2 windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    M.2 windows 10: Hello, I'm trying to do a clean install of windows 10. I'm using a 250gb samsung m.2 I get the install done but windows doesn't install the eathernet or wifi drivers. So I can't connect to the web, it also won't identify the usb wifi adapter I have to try and fix it. The...
  4. M.2 windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Moving a Windows 10 M.2 drive to a new machine

Moving a Windows 10 M.2 drive to a new machine: I have an Intel NUC 7i5 running Windows 10 (20H2 1042. 906) on an NVME M.2 drive. The NUC is over heating and shutting down periodically. I have replaced the fan and cleaned the cooling fins , but it still shutting down off and on. I'm fully backed with Acronis so I feel...
  6. How can I delete windows while leaving everything else intact?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I delete windows while leaving everything else intact?: Hello, I am in the process of upgrading my computer (or constructing a new one. It's sort of a ship of Theseus situation). My new computer will have an SSD which I plan to use for a fresh copy of Windows, and all of my programs and games. My old hard drive has a lot of media...
  7. Moving Windows to M.2

Moving Windows to M.2: Can someone give me a step by step guide to move only Windows from a 2 tb hard drive to a 500 gb M.2 on a desktop. submitted by /u/ripbozo123 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kngcjo/moving_windows_to_m2/
  8. Moving and Re-activating Windows 10 on an M.2 drive

Moving and Re-activating Windows 10 on an M.2 drive: So I just ordered all new parts to build an entirely new gaming pc. In my current build I use SSD/HDD combo and boot from my ssd. Once I finish my new build I'd like to re-install windows on my new Nvme M.2 SSD. My microsoft account is linked to windows license/activation...
  9. moved my M.2 ssd...

moved my M.2 ssd...: Hey guys! I was reading on reddit, that you should have your ssd as close to your cpu as possible on your motherboard, so there's less delay from the two talking to one another... and after I did, the ssd won't boot windows anymore, and sends me on the infinite loop of auto...
  10. Can't move only tile, C:, everything else moves!

Can't move only tile, C:, everything else moves!: Hey guys! All the tiles on my start menu can be resized and moved around as I need, EXCEPT for my C: drive! It's been like this for months now, and I keep everything on my laptop up to date. I've rebooted many, many times over the last few months. I don't think it's a...