Windows 10: Can I obtain my product key from a Windows 7 install from 2009?

Discus and support Can I obtain my product key from a Windows 7 install from 2009? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I purchased Windows 7 in (about) 2009. I upgraded the product to Windows 10 when the offer presented itself. I am now building a new pc and wish to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AlexG74, Jun 6, 2019.

1. AlexG74 Win User

Can I obtain my product key from a Windows 7 install from 2009?

I purchased Windows 7 in (about) 2009. I upgraded the product to Windows 10 when the offer presented itself. I am now building a new pc and wish to install the full Windows 10 on the new rig. My understanding is I am able to transfer the licence to a new rig one time if I had purchased Windows 7 and upgraded to 10.

My problem is I can not locate my product key. After all these years, I can not find my install package with the product key on it.

I'm wondering if there is a number I can call Microsoft support to speak to sopmeone directly, and if they would even be able to help me obtain the key. I tried the general Microsoft support line, and I could not find the appropriate place to go, based on the menu options. The automated message said I need to have my Windows activation screen in front of me... I'm not activating Windows yet; in fact, I haven't installed it on the new rig yet. I just want the product code so I can activate when I'm ready.

Thanks!

:)

AlexG74, Jun 6, 2019

2. Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Nope, you need to install Windows 10 first and make sure the Windows 7 key is transferred to your Windows account after you've installed Windows 10 (not quite sure how that works). I missed the last step and I could not activate Windows 10 after a re-install... Microsoft seem to have done everything they can to make it a PITA. Also, it's technically too late to do this now anyhow, as the upgrade offer has expired. But KMSPico works quite well...

As for getting rid of Windows, delete the Windows folder.

TheLostSwede, Jun 6, 2019
  3. neoreif Win User
    Is there a way to view my product key in windows 7?

The key that you obtained using Magic jelly bean is the Product Key for the Windows Vista OS currently installed in your netbook. And since you said too that COA(certificate of Authenticity) sticker at the bottom of your netbook was "rubbed-off" then probably what you are reading on that sticker is the PID(product id) which is entirely different from the Product Key. What Magic Jelly Bean displayed is your Product Key!*Big Grin Can I obtain my product key from a Windows 7 install from 2009? :D

For additional info, please try this link:
    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/85023-product-key-number.html
    *Toast :toast:

neoreif, Jun 6, 2019
  4. ironwolf Win User

Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Two quick ways to use your Windows 7 key during the install:

1. When asked for the serial #, put in that Windows 7 serial # and continue on. It should activate as soon as it hits an internet connection.

2. When asked for the serial #, at bottom of window click on the I don't have a serial # text (or whatever it says). It will then ask what version you want to install, ie. Home or Pro. Be sure to install the right version that matches your Windows 7 key. Then once you get into windows you can activate by putting in the key. Some people prefer this method, not sure why honestly. Easier to do #1, since the installer will see your key and know which flavor of Windows 10 you are trying to install.

ironwolf, Jun 6, 2019
Thema:

1. Can I obtain my product key from a Windows 7 install from 2009? - Similar Threads - obtain product key

2. How do I obtain my product key?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How do I obtain my product key?: Some time ago I upgraded my PC. I now recently booted my old PC up and realized it had W10 Pro. My new one doesn't. I want upgrade my new PC with the product key of this one. I am having trouble getting the actual key though. I've tried some command prompt methods but they...
  3. How do I obtain my product key?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I obtain my product key?: Some time ago I upgraded my PC. I now recently booted my old PC up and realized it had W10 Pro. My new one doesn't. I want upgrade my new PC with the product key of this one. I am having trouble getting the actual key though. I've tried some command prompt methods but they...
  4. How do I obtain my product key?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Where can I obtain my Windows 10 Product key for my new setup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where can I obtain my Windows 10 Product key for my new setup: I'm gonna upgrade my computer and essentially all of my hardware is being replace execept for my Graphics card, PSU and chassi. Wanna have a fresh install of my windows on my new storage device but I do not have my Product key.. where can I obtain it?...
  6. Partial Product key not same as product key obtained from PowerShell command - Cannot...

Partial Product key not same as product key obtained from PowerShell command - Cannot...: My PC was recently upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 10. The original Windows 8 license was for Education. The partial product key given on the Activation Page is not the same as the product key obtained from Windows Powershell command. Where can I find the rest of the...
  7. Updating from windows 7, need product key?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Updating from windows 7, need product key?: Hey guys! I’m upgrading my old dell pc with an ssd and more RAM. Just wondering if I would need a windows 10 product key to install windows 10 on it (currently running windows 7 home). I’m familiar with installing windows from a USB, just wondering I could do that with a...
  8. Obtaining product key from my destroyed computer

Obtaining product key from my destroyed computer: I had a house fire and my dell all in one pc, which came with windows 7, i had some issues to fix when my hardrive failed, so i had purchased windows 7 pro for it and during the free upgrade period had been able to upgrade to windows 10 pro. I had my computer added here on...
  9. How to Obtain Windows 10 Product key from Microsoft

How to Obtain Windows 10 Product key from Microsoft: My PC mother board and the HDD got completely destroyed. Can anyone help me to obtain my Windows 10 Pro product key as well as to down load the OS...
  10. Is it possible for me to obtain my product key?

Is it possible for me to obtain my product key?: Hello,I recently purchased a used laptop that came with an activated version of Windows 10 32-bit Pro,I'd like to switch to 64-bit because it's compatible with both 32-bit and 64-bit software,but I would prefer to have the features of activated Windows,is there anyway that I...