Windows 10: Can I power up an external USB drive on demand & power down when finis

Discus and support Can I power up an external USB drive on demand & power down when finis in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have an external USB drive that I'd like to keep plugged in all the time IF I can spin it up when my backup software is timed to come on - and spin... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Nisko, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Nisko Win User

Can I power up an external USB drive on demand & power down when finis

I have an external USB drive that I'd like to keep plugged in all the time IF I can spin it up when my backup software is timed to come on - and spin down when my backup is completed. The goal is to have my backups completely unattended - but not have my drives spinning 24/7.

:)

Nisko, Aug 13, 2020

2. USB powered external hard drive will not power down.

Hi Vikki,

To help resolve your concern with USB powered external hard drive issue, you can refer to the steps below:

• Press Windows key + R on your keyboard, type
      devmgmt.msc, and then hit Enter.
    • Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.
    • Right-click the USB Hub, and then choose Properties.
    • Click Power Management tab, and then enable Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power
      option.
    If the issue persists, you can consider contacting your device manufacturer for advanced assistance regarding BIOS settings. The
    BIOS has unique USB port settings that can manage its power/electric flow.

Should you need further assistance, feel free to get back to us.

Monica Cam, Aug 13, 2020
  3. Vikki S. Win User
    USB powered external hard drive will not power down.

My external hard drive will not power off when the laptop is shut down. I have tried to safely eject the device to no avail. Are there settings I can change to enable the USB port to power down the device or is this an issue with the hard drive (WD My
    Passport Ultra)?

Vikki S., Aug 13, 2020
  4. Try3 Win User

USB-C problems powering older external disks

Treble,

You are more knowledgeable than you say.
    - You are using external drives that have their own power supply so that the power demands on your computer are minimised
    - You have demonstrated that your computer can provide enough power through the USB-C connection for your external drives through the [replaced] hub

Denis

Thema:

1. Can I power up an external USB drive on demand & power down when finis - Similar Threads - power external USB

2. Can I power up an external USB drive on demand & power down when finis

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can I power up an external USB drive on demand & power down when finis: I have an external USB drive that I'd like to keep plugged in all the time IF I can spin it up when my backup software is timed to come on - and spin down when my backup is completed. The goal is to have my backups completely unattended - but not have my drives spinning 24/7....
  3. Power down usb when computer sleeps

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Power down usb when computer sleeps: I am unable to get Windows 10 64 bit to power down the USB ports when the computer goes to sleep. Have tried all the power options for the usb root hub in Device Manager. Have tried hibernating as well. I am using an Intel NUC 6i7KYK. I have not tried making changes to...
  4. Shut down laptop to battery power and power up when reconnected?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Shut down laptop to battery power and power up when reconnected?: Hello, I wanted to ask if there is a way to shut down my Windows 10 laptop immediately when it is disconnected from the power supply and automatically restart it when it is loaded. I only closed it in the closet (connected via WLAN) and wanted to control it with a WLAN...
  5. can not power down

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    can not power down: Since the last update my computer will not power down, I have to hold the power button down for a few seconds to get it to switch off https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-not-power-down/e83d9b38-9f0f-44d5-a857-80260d06a279
  6. External USB Drive Power On and Off Through Keyboard

External USB Drive Power On and Off Through Keyboard: I am looking for ways to easily turn on and turn off the power to my external hard drives through a shortcut or by some other simple mechanism. I have found lots of diagnostic tools, but nothing that would work like a light switch. The drives are both Seagate. Thanks for...
  7. Power supply running power when I shut down?

in Windows 10 Support
    Power supply running power when I shut down?: I have a Corsair CX750M PSU.. These units remain on even after shutting down my system so, should I flip the switch off when I'm not using it or, is it safe to leave that switch on? Thanks! 110637
  8. External Hard Drive won't power up

External Hard Drive won't power up: I have an old usb 2.0 external drive enclosure with a ~150GB Hitachi drive, that works fine. I took a 500GB drive from a working Linux system, placed it in the enclosure and when powered up nothing happen, the discs don't spin. Is it a problem between window and linux, or...
  9. How Can I stop USB Drive From Powering Down?

How Can I stop USB Drive From Powering Down?: I know, I went to the USB HUBS and told windows to stop powering down the drive in my new SATA III to USB 3 Dock. However, it stops spinning after a few minutes anyway. Is there anything else I can do? It is a Sabrent EC-DFFN if it matters and the drive is a new 4TB Toshiba...
  10. Powered usb external hard drive in powered usb hub

Powered usb external hard drive in powered usb hub: I have two powered USB 2.0 hard drives that I plan to plug into a powered USB 3.0 hub. I know I won't get the USB 3.0 speed, but should the I also connect each drive's power connection? Thank you for your help. 96467