Windows 10: Can I prevent an Update that is queued up, waiting for restart to install, from installing?

Discus and support Can I prevent an Update that is queued up, waiting for restart to install, from installing? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; https://www.infopackets.com/news/10709/user-files-disappear-after-botched-win10-update <snip> The update with the more serious problems - which is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Rohn007, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Rohn007 Win User

Can I prevent an Update that is queued up, waiting for restart to install, from installing?

https://www.infopackets.com/news/10709/user-files-disappear-after-botched-win10-update

<snip>

The update with the more serious problems - which is the one Microsoft has withdrawn - is numbered KB4532693 and has a couple of major bugs. The first is that some users have discovered their desktop has returned to its default state. In other words, any customizations such as the arrangement of icons and short cuts, or a background image, have been removed.

</snip>

Great, I just checked, and that update is queued up simply waiting for a restart to be applied.

At this late point in time, is there any way I can block it from installing

:)

Rohn007, Feb 18, 2020
  2. niko084 Win User

Insurgency wont install and run for me....

I have played and have fully updated CS and Half life 2....
    I am using the newest client and installed the SDK.

I am completely blown away, if i click the desktop icon it starts the sdk and then closes, and it doesn't show up in my game list...

First mod attempt install here, followed the directions step by step on the mods website...

Any ideas?

niko084, Feb 18, 2020
  3. newtekie1 Win User
    Quick Tip: Easily Shutdown or Restart WITHOUT Installing Updates.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that has been in the situation of needing to shutdown a computer quickly, but there are updates waiting to install. Previous to Windows 8 you could at least restart without being forced to install the updates, and if you are quick you could hit the power button when the computer begins to POST and the computer will turn off. With Windows 8, now even restarting forces you to install the updates. You could use the cmd and Shutdown.exe to shutdown the machine, but I'm getting old and try to avoid the command prompt as much as possible.

Anyway, the easy way I've found to Shutdown or Restart without being forced to install the updates is to hit Ctrl+Alt+Del and use the power button in the bottom right on the screen that comes up. For whatever reason, this power button is the only one I've found in Windows 7/8 that gives the option to Shutdown or Restart without installing the updates.

Thought I'd share.

newtekie1, Feb 18, 2020
  4. jds21 Win User

Can I prevent an Update that is queued up, waiting for restart to install, from installing?

Windows Updates failed to instal

I just did step one and they have just all installed.... thank you so much.... it was quite frustrating having that update window pop up every 5 minutes and failing to instal every time

Thanks mate

jds21, Feb 18, 2020
Thema:

1. Can I prevent an Update that is queued up, waiting for restart to install, from installing? - Similar Threads - prevent Update queued

2. How can I prevent an update from ever installing?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I prevent an update from ever installing?: Hello, The update KB5030310 breaks my graphic drivers constantly. I have uninstalled this update already 3 times and it keeps getting installed.Even if I paused all updates for 5 weeks, I still got it installed again today, how can I "blacklist" it or pause it from...
  3. How can I prevent an update from ever installing?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I prevent an update from ever installing?: Hello, The update KB5030310 breaks my graphic drivers constantly. I have uninstalled this update already 3 times and it keeps getting installed.Even if I paused all updates for 5 weeks, I still got it installed again today, how can I "blacklist" it or pause it from...
  4. can I prevent certain parts of the update from installing?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    can I prevent certain parts of the update from installing?: Every Time I update my pc my video card stops working. I have researched this and found out that I was sold a second hand card that had been changed to run faster or some such. I am not the most techy soul Anyway, I am going to be forced to do my Window updates and wondered...
  5. How can I prevent windows from installing anything but security updates?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I prevent windows from installing anything but security updates?: So Im tired of windows changing my settings while installing updates even tho they say that it's necessary (why would turning on fastboot necessary and why won't they change my settings back?) so I was thinking if there's way to perevent anything but security updates? Im...
  6. Stop Windows update downloaded and queued for install

Stop Windows update downloaded and queued for install: How do I stop Windows Update from installing an Update that is already downloaded and ready to install? I have followed the directions I have found on the web to disable the service and navigated to Control Panel > Security Settings to stop the install. However, I do not see...
  7. How do I prevent Windows 10 from automatically installing updates an restarting?

How do I prevent Windows 10 from automatically installing updates an restarting?: I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how to prevent Windows 10 from automatically installing updates and restarting. If I am out of the office for a few days and out of town, I need my work computer to stay on so I can access it via Gotomypc. When Windows 10 automatically...
  8. How to prevent Windows Update from installing the update?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to prevent Windows Update from installing the update?: I'm running Win10 Home ver 1607. Windows Update has downloaded ver 1709 (due to an unmetered connection) and Windows Update now wants me to update. However I don't want to update and want to remove the downloaded data from my PC. How can I prevent Windows Update from...
  9. How to Prevent from re-install updates

How to Prevent from re-install updates: Hi, I want to uninstall last AU Update (ver. 105) because it takes too long restarting Windows (from 46s to over 1min. 6s), but I believe Windows will at once re-install the Update. How to prevent this? Thank you. 63091
  10. Creator update 1703 prevent from installing

Creator update 1703 prevent from installing: I do not want Creator update to install. Six months ago it tried to install and got to 23% stopped then an error appeared. The error msg stated ( no installed operating system) I tried several options to restore, I ended up re-installing Win 10 Pro. The same thing happened a...