Windows 10: Can I prevent the date modified date from changing when I open a file?

Discus and support Can I prevent the date modified date from changing when I open a file? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I just purchased a Yoga 730 and I notice when I open a file the "date modified" date is changing to the current date. This wasn't happening on my Envy,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MariaMNJ, Oct 2, 2019.

1. MariaMNJ Win User

Can I prevent the date modified date from changing when I open a file?

I just purchased a Yoga 730 and I notice when I open a file the "date modified" date is changing to the current date. This wasn't happening on my Envy, both are running Windows 10.

This is VERY annoying as I will use the modified date often.

Thanks!

:)

MariaMNJ, Oct 2, 2019

2. Prevent Microsoft from changing the Date Modified of a folder when files within the folder are opened but not modified.

Prevent Microsoft from changing the Date Modified of a folder when files within the folder are opened but not modified. I would like to prevent my folders from updating in the “Date Modified” field every time that I open a file contained within the folder.
    Using WIndows 7 and Office 2016

RobinLeavy, Oct 2, 2019
  3. Prevent Microsoft from changing the Date Modified of a folder when files within the folder are opened but not modified.

It's not "Microsoft" that changes a file's "Date modified" field, it's your application or your own action. MS Word does not do it, and neither does Notepad. I tested it a moment ago with Office 2016.

Frederik Long, Oct 2, 2019
  4. Aaron_Sum Win User

Illogical date modified updating

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that the modified date is just as important as the created date within the metadata of a given file. We will look into this for you.
    However, in order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

1. What is the build of Windows 10 running on your system?
    2. Was there any major change or an update on your system prior to which you weren’t facing this issue?
    3. Is the issue only with the pictures taken from the camera or the other pictures and files within the system as well?

Meanwhile, I would suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it is helpful to you.

Method 1: Enable the Date Modified Column in the File Explorer.

To enable the Date modified column within the particular folder, please follow the steps below.

1. Open the Folder in which you wish to see the Date modified column.
    2. Right-click on the
      Header for Name, date, type etc. This will give you a list of columns that can be displayed.
    3. Select the option Date modified, clearing the tick removes that column.
    4. Modify a file and check if it is being reflected in the Date modified column.

If the issue still persists, where you aren’t able to see the value in the Date modified column even after making the changes to the particular file, please follow ‘Method 2’.

Method 2: Create a new user account.

This issue could be due to profile corruption. Hence to eliminate possibilities, I would suggest you to ‘Create
    a local user or administrator account
    ’ and check if the issue persists.

Note:
    You will not see all your files under your default file location. So your data will be saved under C:\users\user_name.

We await your response.

Aaron Summith

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Aaron_Sum, Oct 2, 2019
Thema:

1. Can I prevent the date modified date from changing when I open a file? - Similar Threads - prevent date modified

2. The date created on files keeps changing when I modify them.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The date created on files keeps changing when I modify them.: The date created on files keeps changing when I modify them. I'm using Windows 11 and I need to sort my files in that folder by date created....
  3. The date created on files keeps changing when I modify them.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The date created on files keeps changing when I modify them.: The date created on files keeps changing when I modify them. I'm using Windows 11 and I need to sort my files in that folder by date created....
  4. how can i change modified date of group of picture to match creation date

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how can i change modified date of group of picture to match creation date: i want to reorder some photos for my android phone to be able to show to my correctly i failed to do that using android appif you there is a way to chage mod date to match creation date or any other sort methods i would be very gratefulthanks...
  5. how can i change modified date of group of picture to match creation date

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how can i change modified date of group of picture to match creation date: i want to reorder some photos for my android phone to be able to show to my correctly i failed to do that using android appif you there is a way to chage mod date to match creation date or any other sort methods i would be very gratefulthanks...
  6. OneDrive changing 'date modified' when file just opened not modified

OneDrive changing 'date modified' when file just opened not modified: How do I stop OneDrive from changing the 'date modified" to todays date when I just open but don't modify a file or when I move a file or folder to another folder....
  7. Date modified changed for thousands of files

Date modified changed for thousands of files: Hi, On my Windows 10 laptop with a Samsung SSD I have experienced some weird behavior tonight: I have roughly 11.000 files with date modified "today" since I started the laptop in the afternoon. Many of these files are in tmp folders e.g. AppData/Local/Temp or in folders...
  8. can I have the modified date never changed?

in Windows 10 Support
    can I have the modified date never changed?: For example, I have a document, whenever I make a slight change, the modified date would be updated. However, this is not what I want, in most cases I would like to keep an understanding of when the major change of the file was done. Creation date could also changes if the...
  9. How to prevent "Modified on" date from changing during update?

How to prevent "Modified on" date from changing during update?: I organize my files using the "Date Modified" date and when some event happens, maybe the system updates ? It's as if I restored files from one HDD to another, even tho I didn't. I will then find all of the "Modified On" dates have changed to the current date from what...
  10. Date created on files keeps changing when I modify them.

Date created on files keeps changing when I modify them.: The date created on my files keeps changing when I modify them. It started after I ran a chkdsk and installed some new antivirus software. Can someone help me understand what's going on here? Really need this to get fixed. Thanks!...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. date modified is changing when opening file