Windows 10: Can I print from an XP computer to a printer on Windows 10?

Discus and support Can I print from an XP computer to a printer on Windows 10? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Have a local area network of 2 XP laptops and 1 Win 10 desktop. Moved an HP printer from an XP computer to Windows 10 when I was told that Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by McIntoshBear, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Can I print from an XP computer to a printer on Windows 10?

Have a local area network of 2 XP laptops and 1 Win 10 desktop.

Moved an HP printer from an XP computer to Windows 10 when I was told that Windows 10 now supported the printer so that I can retire the XP computer supporting the HP printer.

Need to print from the remaining XP laptop to the HP printer on the Win 10 desktop.

I have been unable to connect the XP laptop to the HP printer on the Win 10 desktop. I can see in the Add Printer Assistant on the XP laptop the Win 10 machine DESKTOP but I cannot expand and see the attached and shared HP printer on the Win 10 machine.

I attempted to search for discussions of the issue but only returned software updates.

Thank you.

:)

McIntoshBear, Mar 1, 2020

2. Printing to XPS fails on Windows 10

Hi Dan,

I can understand the inconvenience caused to you. I would be glad to help you.

I would suggest you to refer the below steps and check if it helps.

• Search for Device Manager, or do Win + R and then
      DEVMGMT.MSC.

• Go to 'Print queues' then uninstall both the PDF and XPS print queues.

• Search for 'Advanced Printer Setup', or look this option in the Control panel.

• Select 'The printer that I want isn't listed', in the next window choose 'Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings', select 'Use an existing port:' then in the dropdown select 'FILE: (Print
      to File)'.

• In the next window, it will appear a list. Select Microsoft then in the second list select 'Microsoft Print to PDF' and next.

• Select 'Replace the current driver' and then next

• Give the printer a name (I suggest the original name) then next and it shall reinstall the printer and its driver.

• Repeat the process but now instead of selecting 'Microsoft Print to PDF' in the list, select the XPS one.

• Restart and see if it prints now.

Refer the below article for more information.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-10/fix-printer-problems

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Rajeshwari_Patil, Mar 1, 2020
  3. Jan123 Win User
    Windows 10 Home Won't Print to Remote Printer

I have three computers.
    Machine 1: Windows 10 pro, has the USB Brother HL-5040 printer
    Machine 2: Windows 10 pro, prints OK to the remote printer.
    Machine 3: Windows 10 home, Used to print, but not anymore (THIS IS THE PROBLEM).
    I’ve tried everything that I can think of, and would appreciate any suggestions.
    I did these steps on Machine 3 that did not work.

1. Remove the printer device.
    2. Add a Printer
    3. The printer that I want isn’t listed
    4. Select a shared printer by name
    5. Browse
    6. Select the displayed Machine 1.
    7. Select the displayed Printer.
    8. Next
    9. Failure “Connect to Printer”.
    10. Add a printer using a TCP/IP address or Hostname
    11. Next
    12. Set Hostname to Machine 2, and set port name.
    13. Detecting TCP/IP Port
    14. Additional Port information required.
    15. Device Type – Standard, Brother Port Server
    16. Next
    17. Detecting the Driver Model
    18. Install The Print Driver
    19. Select Brother and Brother HL-5040
    20. Next
    21. Replace the Current Driver
    22. Printer Name (setting it to HL-5040)
    23. Next
    24. Do not share this printer
    25. Next
    26. You’ve successfully added “HL-5040”
    27. Finish
    Printing on Machine 3 puts the document in the print queue, which reports error printing.
    Printing from Machine 2 to the printer on Machine 1 works perfectly.
    All three machines are in the same HomeGroup. Machine 3 can access the shared files from Machine 1.

Jan123, Mar 1, 2020
  4. Can I print from an XP computer to a printer on Windows 10?

Windows 10 client doesn't load the print driver from the XP print server

Hi,

To assist you better, I would like to ask some questions:

Which Printer drivers are installed in #2 computer? Windows 10 or Windows XP?

Are you facing any issues with Printer after installing Windows XP drivers in #3 Computer?

I suggest you to Stop and Start the Print Spooler services by following the steps provided below:

• Press Windows key + R key, type services.msc
      and press Enter.
    • From the list, locate Print Spooler service.
    • Double click on the service and select Stop and click on
      Apply
      and OK.
    • Restart the computer, repeat step 1&2.
    • Double click on the service and check if the service is started.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status and we'll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Mar 1, 2020
Thema:

Can I print from an XP computer to a printer on Windows 10?

1. Can I print from an XP computer to a printer on Windows 10? - Similar Threads - print computer printer

2. Print jobs will not print on Network printer from Windows Desktop, but I can print from...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Print jobs will not print on Network printer from Windows Desktop, but I can print from...: I have a Windows 11 Desktop. It is connected via Wi-Fi. When I try to print Google Docs document from the Google Chrome Browser to a network HP OfficeJet 3830 Printer, the print job goes to the spooler, but never prints. I have reinstalled the printer drivers, but no...
  3. Print jobs will not print on Network printer from Windows Desktop, but I can print from...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Print jobs will not print on Network printer from Windows Desktop, but I can print from...: I have a Windows 11 Desktop. It is connected via Wi-Fi. When I try to print Google Docs document from the Google Chrome Browser to a network HP OfficeJet 3830 Printer, the print job goes to the spooler, but never prints. I have reinstalled the printer drivers, but no...
  4. how can i get my printer to print from my computer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how can i get my printer to print from my computer?: I cannot get my printer canon 8520 series to print from my computer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-get-my-printer-to-print-from-my-computer/ab569d27-2066-42ef-bfba-a3212f92ccb2
  5. how can i get my printer to print from my computer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how can i get my printer to print from my computer?: I cannot get my printer canon 8520 series to print from my computer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-get-my-printer-to-print-from-my-computer/ab569d27-2066-42ef-bfba-a3212f92ccb2
  6. printer won't print from computer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    printer won't print from computer: What do I do with Device SWD\PRINTENUM\WSD-5d9595d2-7c67-4b30-9d46-1988da14e24f REQUIRES FURTHER INSTALLATION on my Brother MFC-495CW printer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printer-wont-print-from-computer/a985b203-a755-4b20-a246-679cbb5be597
  7. my printer is not printing from the computer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    my printer is not printing from the computer: Hi my printer can print copies but will not print directly from my computer? Tried all of the suggestions you had listed but it still is not printing unless I want a copy? HELP! Theresa Gelchie...
  8. printer stopped printing from computer

printer stopped printing from computer: new windows 10 update installed and my Epson printer will no longer print from computer. ever time I hit print "save print out put as" comes up and regardless of what I do it will not allow me to print. Uninstalled the update but can not print from this computer from any app...
  9. cannot print from computer to printer???

cannot print from computer to printer???: My HP Officejet 5740 will print if I put something on printer to be copied but I cannot get it to print from my Lenova desk top computer. What am I doing wrong???...
  10. cannot print to shared XP printer from 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    cannot print to shared XP printer from 10: I've an old printer, drivers are only available for XP. It is connected to the parallel port on the laptop. It is shared from an XP laptop via wifi/ router. My Win 7 machines all print to the printer My Win 10 machine does NOT show the XP system or anything shared from...