Windows 10: Can I put a caddy to my Laptop?

Discus and support Can I put a caddy to my Laptop? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a Lenovo 110-15ISK Laptop Ideapad - Type 80UD. Processor: IntelR CoreTM i3-6100U CPU @ 2.30GHz, 2301 Mhz, 2 Cores, 4 Logical Processors Can I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Godwin__, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Godwin__ Win User

Can I put a caddy to my Laptop?

I have a Lenovo 110-15ISK Laptop Ideapad - Type 80UD.
    Processor: IntelR CoreTM i3-6100U CPU @ 2.30GHz, 2301 Mhz, 2 Cores, 4 Logical Processors

Can I put a caddy to my laptop? Then, put the HDD into the caddy and the SSD inside?

What I am planning to upgrade my laptop:

-Adding 4GB ram so it becomes 8GB

-Replacing HDD with 500GB SSD or;

-Add caddy to put the HDD there and inserting 120 SSD for windows to where HDD was.

:)

Godwin__, Feb 21, 2021

2. HDD in a HDD caddy is not showing up in the disk management

Hi,

To assist you better, I would like to ask some questions:

• How are you connecting the HDD Caddy?
    • What is the make and model of your computer?

If you are connecting the device using USB, I suggest you to check if other USB devices are recognized as USB devices or Other device. If it is displaying as other device, then the issue might be with the USB port. So, I suggest you to update the USB drivers
    by following the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X, select Device Manager.
    • Expand Universal Serial Bus Controller.
    • Right click on the drive, select Update Driver Software and follow the on-screen prompts.

Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Feb 21, 2021
  3. user33331 Win User
    Laptops can't boot from optical HDD\SSD caddy :-(

Hello
    I have been investigating *a lot* and trying to boot a 2015 year HP Pavilion DV7 17-f076no (Serial: J1X05EA#UUW) from a Chinese Ebay optical drive HDD\SSD caddy:
    Read multiple forum questions that had the same problem as I: ( Bios can't find a bootable SSD inside optical caddy )
    https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo...find-caddy-SSD-in-BIOS-boot-list/td-p/3278964
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2059129/bios-recognize-hdd-hard-drive-caddy.html

Startup:
    • Cloned a 1000gb HDD containing 100/1000gb of Windows 10 Home 64-bit to a 500gb SSD with a EZ Gig IV 4.6.2 cloning software and a USB-SATA transfer cable.
    • Original 1000gb HDD is still inside the laptop.
    • DVD-drive replaced with a 500gb SSD caddy.
    So far:
    • The SSD (=2018 Samsung 860EVO 500gb) can be used and seen inside Windows 10. ( As a storage only )
    • The 2015 Bios F.43 Rev.A American Megatrends Inc. can not see the SSD from the BIOS boot order. Windows Boot Manager sees only the original HDD.
    • UEFI Legacy boot-mode is disabled. I don't think enabling it would help since I'm starting up Windows 10.
    Solutions:
    • Faulty caddy ? Chinese sellers sell many multiple variations of different 9.7mm thick caddys with different micro switches. This one had only a 1 pc of micro switch with 2 position choices.
    • Bios is just not flexible enough. Open the 20+pcs of laptop screws and put the SSD to the place of the original HDD.
    • UEFI Legacy mode ?
    • Modding the caddy. Someone said the caddy is in a "power saving sleep mode" when inside BIOS and it is therefore unseen and shortening some pins would help ? Any experience in soldering the caddy electronics so that it is constantly awake ? This sounds believable ?
    • Cloned the HDD twice to minimize errors but no help I doubt it is because of the cloning process and if it is it is because the HDD and SSD were not the same size 1000gb and 1000gb and the partitions don't match or so...?
    Laptops are not easy...

user33331, Feb 21, 2021
  4. n-ster Win User

n-ster, Feb 21, 2021
Thema:

1. Can I put a caddy to my Laptop? - Similar Threads - put caddy Laptop

2. Can I put a battery 'widget' on my home screen on my laptop?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I put a battery 'widget' on my home screen on my laptop?: I can't seem to find a way to do that, is there anything I can use? submitted by /u/LobsterLife7347 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/1b4h9hq/can_i_put_a_battery_widget_on_my_home_screen_on/
  3. CADDY Is Not Detected

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    CADDY Is Not Detected: I have recently replaced my optic drive with a caddy mounted with 512 Gb of HDD, For some reason It is not detected in BIOS SATA configuration setting, and also is not showing up in File Explorer How do i fix this?My Laptop :- Asus K46cb Notebook- BIOS American Megatrends...
  4. CADDY Is Not Detected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CADDY Is Not Detected: I have recently replaced my optic drive with a caddy mounted with 512 Gb of HDD, For some reason It is not detected in BIOS SATA configuration setting, and also is not showing up in File Explorer How do i fix this?My Laptop :- Asus K46cb Notebook- BIOS American Megatrends...
  5. CADDY Is Not Detected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. My laptop shows my second hard drive that I installed by Caddy, only in Device...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My laptop shows my second hard drive that I installed by Caddy, only in Device...: Laptop HP 45401- hardware HDD Toshiba 2- hardware SSD Samsung 870 500GBI searched all over the laptop, but unfortunately I couldn't find SSD. Neither in the BIOS nor in the Disk Management....
  7. I need to put a new pin into my laptop, but I can not get into my Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need to put a new pin into my laptop, but I can not get into my Microsoft account: Recently my HP laptop had some sort of windows restart/update, and when I tried to get into it I get this message:"Your PIN is not available due to a change to the security settings on this device. Click to set up your PIN again."To set up my pin, I must go into my Microsoft...
  8. Can i put W10 back on my laptop to replace Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can i put W10 back on my laptop to replace Ubuntu: I have a Laptop that originally had Windows 7 Pro on it, which i upgraded to W10 . However i wiped W10 from it to try out Ubuntu, now i am finding more and more Windows programs that i need will not run on Ubuntu. My question, Can i put W10 back onto it without a fee as i...
  9. Can i put W10 back on my laptop to replace Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Support
    Can i put W10 back on my laptop to replace Ubuntu: I have a Laptop that originally had Windows 7 Pro on it, which i upgraded to W10 . However i wiped W10 from it to try out Ubuntu, now i am finding more and more Windows programs that i need will not run on Ubuntu. My question, Can i put W10 back onto it without a fee as i...
  10. Can i put W10 back on my Laptop free ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can i put W10 back on my Laptop free ?: Hi, I have a Laptop that had Windows 7 pro on it originally which i upgraded to Windows 10 pro, all was fine until i had a hard drive crash, so wiped the drive and put Ubuntu on it. Not getting on with Ubuntu and was wondering am i still able to put Windows 10 back on it...