Windows 10: Can I reactivate Windows 10 after hardware change if I upgraded my OEM Windows 7 PC to...

Discus and support Can I reactivate Windows 10 after hardware change if I upgraded my OEM Windows 7 PC to... in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I purchased a PC in the year 2014. It came with Windows 7 Ultimate pre-installed OEM SLP. When Microsoft announced the free upgrade offer, I upgraded... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Rahul-Dixit, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Can I reactivate Windows 10 after hardware change if I upgraded my OEM Windows 7 PC to...

I purchased a PC in the year 2014. It came with Windows 7 Ultimate pre-installed OEM SLP. When Microsoft announced the free upgrade offer, I upgraded it to Windows 10 Pro. My PC was running Windows 10 Anniversary Update and it got activated through a digital license linked to my Microsoft Account.

Now I am planning to upgrade the hardware components. I have read that since my PC was running an OEM Windows 7 initially, I cannot reactivate Windows 10 after any hardware change because I must have got an OEM version of Windows 10 through the free upgrade. And OEM versions of Windows 10 does not permit any changes to hardware.

So my question is: Can I reactivate Windows 10 after hardware change if I upgraded my OEM Windows 7 PC to Windows 10? The answer is really important for me to take a design. If I can reactivate, I will build my own PC otherwise I will purchase a new Dell PC.

:)

Rahul-Dixit, Apr 7, 2021
  2. Boyfriend Win User

Does Windows 7 require reactivation if...

He is using AMD already. He wants downgrading to AM3. Don't know why??

If you change HDD + RAM simultaneously, Windows 7 needs to be reactivated. Only HDD cloning shouldn't require reactivation. As you are changing mobo + HDD (prehaps RAM upgrade too), you will surely require reactivation. If you have genuine license, you should reinstall OS (you might use Windows Easy Transfer). If you don't want to reinstall, you need to uninstall HDD, interfaces/system devices, and numerous other drivers (USB, HID, Portable devices, etc.), else your OS will be unstable.
    I will highly recommend to reinstall Windows 7 and enjoy your migration.

A simple trick might be like this to avoid reactivation:
    1. Clone your HDD first and boot into Windows
    2. Use it for at least one week
    3. Replace mobo only without any other hardware change/upgrade and boot
    4. Use it for at least one week
    5. Do any other upgrade (RAM, Graphic card etc.)

Don't do two simultaneous downgrades/upgrades to avoid reactivation.

Boyfriend, Apr 7, 2021
  3. kg4icg Win User
    Does Windows 7 require reactivation if...

Then why does it say fs/ft i7-920 in his tag and he wants to downgrade to am3 system? to go from a am2/2+ to am3 isn't a downgrade last time I checked

kg4icg, Apr 7, 2021
  4. Nordic Win User

Can I reactivate Windows 10 after hardware change if I upgraded my OEM Windows 7 PC to...

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Apr 7, 2021
Thema:

Can I reactivate Windows 10 after hardware change if I upgraded my OEM Windows 7 PC to...

1. Can I reactivate Windows 10 after hardware change if I upgraded my OEM Windows 7 PC to... - Similar Threads - reactivate hardware change

2. i can not reactivate windows 10 after a hardware changed

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    i can not reactivate windows 10 after a hardware changed: I tried to use answers from similar questions but in my case after using "Troubleshoot" i can not find in the list to reactivate window my new machine, but in mine microsoft account in "devices" section i can see my new machine. And i had needed account on current machine...
  3. i can not reactivate windows 10 after a hardware changed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i can not reactivate windows 10 after a hardware changed: I tried to use answers from similar questions but in my case after using "Troubleshoot" i can not find in the list to reactivate window my new machine, but in mine microsoft account in "devices" section i can see my new machine...
  4. i can not reactivate windows 10 after a hardware changed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i can not reactivate windows 10 after a hardware changed: I tried to use answers from similar questions but in my case after using "Troubleshoot" i can not find in the list to reactivate window my new machine, but in mine microsoft account in "devices" section i can see my new machine...
  5. why can i not reactivate my windows after changing hardware?

why can i not reactivate my windows after changing hardware?: Ive recently upgraded pretty much everything in my pc as it was all pretty outdated, when i try to reactivate windows it comes up with the error 0x803F700F after scouring through the windows website, the error code apparently doesnt exist, it just keeps telling me to buy a...
  6. why can i not reactivate my windows after changing hardware?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why can i not reactivate my windows after changing hardware?: Ive recently upgraded pretty much everything in my pc as it was all pretty outdated, when i try to reactivate windows it comes up with the error 0x803F700F after scouring through the windows website, the error code apparently doesnt exist, it just keeps telling me to buy a...
  7. why can i not reactivate my windows after changing hardware?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Reactivating Windows 10 after hardware change and upgraded from Windows 7

Reactivating Windows 10 after hardware change and upgraded from Windows 7: Hi,I've recently changed the motherboard and CPU of my computer and I'm now being asked to reactivate my account error code 0xC004F211. The problem is that I upgraded from Windows 7 and don't have an activation key for Windows 10. I also didn't have a Microsoft account linked...
  9. I can´t reactivate Windows 10 after hardware changing

I can´t reactivate Windows 10 after hardware changing: Hi, I´ve changed my CPU and I´m are using the hard disk I was using at the old one. I can´t re activate Windows 10´s license following the procedure indicated in the instruccions , " I´ve changed hardware recently" and gor the message No se puede activar Windows, please tell...
  10. I can not reactivate Windows after a hardware change

I can not reactivate Windows after a hardware change: I have followed the guides set up by Microsoft, I'm using the Activation Troubleshoot to activate Windows. So I select Troubleshoot, which does not fix it. So I click on "I recently changed hardware on this device". This opens to where I can select the device and then press...