Windows 10: Can I recover an unallocated disk's data after a clean Windows install

Discus and support Can I recover an unallocated disk's data after a clean Windows install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all! Need halp!I successfully ran a clean Windows 10 install from a flash drive. In my previous setup, I had a separate drive as my Desktop location... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Johnson_Rod, Mar 7, 2022.

1. Can I recover an unallocated disk's data after a clean Windows install

Hi all! Need halp!I successfully ran a clean Windows 10 install from a flash drive. In my previous setup, I had a separate drive as my Desktop location D: which held my day to day files and photos etc. The idea being that all my apps and OS live on C: and D: would be my working drive which I didn't backup because unplugged it to protect it and avoid overwriting it.However when I plugged D: back in after the install, its now showing up as Disk 1 Unallocated! In my research I can't seem to find a way to recover this volume without losing the data. I can't even run a messy recovery because th

:)

Johnson_Rod, Mar 7, 2022
  2. Searz Win User

Recovering "unallocated" data

I had a RAID 1 set up and installed a few new components in the system. Then the BIOS changed SATA mode to AHCI for some f*****g reason, and my disks fell out of the array. So I tried simply setting it back to RAID and re-creating the array, but now they just show up as unallocated data in the disk manager.

I do have a backup, but it's a week old, and I'd prefer not to lose the new data. Is there any way of retrieving it?

Searz, Mar 7, 2022
  3. Recover Unallocated Disk Space

Hi,DawnWilliams8

Based on your concern is how to recover the unallocated partition, so that why

I provided the details on how to recover the partition, probably after you recover the unallocated partition that's the time you can work you 3 partition.

If that won't work will ask for another expert about their suggestion.

Regards,

Erik

EriksonBautista24, Mar 7, 2022
  4. spapakons Win User

Can I recover an unallocated disk's data after a clean Windows install

Recover unallocated space on data disk

Woa! Doing as you say in Case 2 would delete the Windows partition and make system unbootable! Thankfully Windows won't let you do anything on the system partition from Disk Management.

Case 2: If the empty space is on the left (unlikely), then use a partitioning utility such as MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition to move the large partition at the start of the disk and then extend it to take all disk.

But if we are talking about 350MB (MEGAbytes, not GIGAbytes), then this is too small by today's standards to bother. Moving all data to the start of the disk involves copying all data and as you can imagine it will take all day! Too trouble for nothing... I would just ignore it. On the other hand, if you are at case 1 (unallocated space on the right), then it will take a few seconds to extend the large partition to take all disk, as there is no need to move any data.

spapakons, Mar 7, 2022
Thema:

Can I recover an unallocated disk's data after a clean Windows install

1. Can I recover an unallocated disk's data after a clean Windows install - Similar Threads - recover unallocated disk's

2. While installing Windows: How to recover data from a cleaned disk?/ Media driver missing?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    While installing Windows: How to recover data from a cleaned disk?/ Media driver missing?: I was installing windows 10 on an old Lenovo i have that runs linux and accidently cleaned the primary drive in the diskpart command thing. I don't remember why but my other two hard drives could not be used for whatever reason. or maybe i just figured that in my own...
  3. While installing Windows: How to recover data from a cleaned disk?/ Media driver missing?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    While installing Windows: How to recover data from a cleaned disk?/ Media driver missing?: I was installing windows 10 on an old Lenovo i have that runs linux and accidently cleaned the primary drive in the diskpart command thing. I don't remember why but my other two hard drives could be used for whatever reason. or maybe i just figured that in my own ideocracy...
  4. While installing Windows: How to recover data from a cleaned disk?/ Media driver missing?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    While installing Windows: How to recover data from a cleaned disk?/ Media driver missing?: I was installing windows 10 on an old Lenovo i have that runs linux and accidently cleaned the primary drive in the diskpart command thing. I don't remember why but my other two hard drives could be used for whatever reason. or maybe i just figured that in my own ideocracy...
  5. Can I recover an unallocated disk without losing data?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I recover an unallocated disk without losing data?: Hi all! Need halp!I successfully ran a clean Windows 10 install from a flash drive. In my previous setup, I had a separate drive as my Desktop location D: which held my day to day files and photos etc. The idea being that all my apps and OS live on C: and D: would be my...
  6. Can I recover an unallocated disk without losing data?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I recover an unallocated disk without losing data?: Hi all! Need halp!I successfully ran a clean Windows 10 install from a flash drive. In my previous setup, I had a separate drive as my Desktop location D: which held my day to day files and photos etc. The idea being that all my apps and OS live on C: and D: would be my...
  7. Can I recover an unallocated disk without losing data?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Recover Unallocated Disk Space

Recover Unallocated Disk Space: How can I recover 15.18GB of unallocated space shown below: [ATTACH] preferably using Disk Management or cmd but not 3rd party software. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recover-unallocated-disk-space/fab332ab-883e-4f73-8645-d70c16d8728b
  9. Can i recover data after installing new windows

Can i recover data after installing new windows: Can i recover data after installing new windows since the data was formatted while installing new windows, so... i would like to know if it is possible or not because i had some really important stuff, and you might be like we have one drive but my pc was not booting so i...
  10. Recover unallocated space on data disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Recover unallocated space on data disk: I installed Windows 10 on a new PC, with OS on Samsung 950 PRO. For data disk, at this stage, I use a Samsung 840 PRO which I transferred from my old 8.1 PC. The data disk now shows in diskmanagment 351MB unallocated space, and 119 GB NTFS Healthy (Primary Partition). How...