Windows 10: Can I recover data from my old IDE/SATA hard drives?

Discus and support Can I recover data from my old IDE/SATA hard drives? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have multiple hard drives from old computers that I am trying to recover data from. I have a USB 3.0 to SATA/IDE adapter. But, when I plug it in to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by SteveRice_420, Aug 23, 2020.

1. Can I recover data from my old IDE/SATA hard drives?

I have multiple hard drives from old computers that I am trying to recover data from. I have a USB 3.0 to SATA/IDE adapter. But, when I plug it in to my Windows 10 desktop and turn it on, the file explorer stops responding? It seems to freeze the whole desktop? How do I get the data from old IDE/SATA hard drives?

:)

SteveRice_420, Aug 23, 2020

2. recovering data possible dead hard drive

Hello, @victorm294!

Well, I'm really sorry to hear about your accident with the WD HDD.
    I'd still advise to try that WD drive on another PC just in case, and see if it will get detected there, or if it even spins up. You also mentioned you checked all connections, but did you try connecting the WD drive with a different SATA cable?

If none of these worked, then recovering your data might be a lot more difficult. *Frown Can I recover data from my old IDE/SATA hard drives? :(
    I'd suggest to turn to a professional data recovery, it also won't hurt to try what @RCoon suggested. However I'm not sure it's going to work, if the drive doesn't even spin up.
    Data recovery companies are costly indeed, but if your files are that important, I'm not sure you have any other choice.
    If the drive doesn't even spin up, we are most probably facing a physical damage from the power surge. This means you won't be able to fix it yourself. HDD physical repairs require a clean environment and technical knowledge of the HDD's structure and components.

My suggestion would be to get in touch with such a company and explain your situation, hopefully the repair will be affordable. Here's a list of all our data recovery partners worldwide: http://goo.gl/kkn4Vs

Just a tip: This is exactly why we recommend keeping backups offsite as well, power surges/system failures can result in such unpleasant situations. :/

I hope this helps you!
    And if you need further assistance or more information,
    I'd suggest to contact our tech support:
    http://goo.gl/BXehMx

Good luck, @victorm294!

P.S. Thank you for notifying me, @RCoon! *Smile Can I recover data from my old IDE/SATA hard drives? :)

SuperSoph_WD, Aug 23, 2020
  3. recovering data possible dead hard drive

i was wonder if there is a way to recover data from a possibly dead hard drive?

few days ago we had a power surge in town causing an area wide power spike. lost power for only a few seconds but i think it was enough to cause damage. power came back and i tried to boot up my system but to no avail. i have 2-1 tb hard drives in my system drive one is a western digital 1 tb and the other is a hitatchi 1 tb. when i rebuilt the system and tried boot up, the WD hard drive was not recognized and the hitachi was reconized in BIOS, i assumed that it was a bad connection, checked and rechecked all cabling to the mother board. all connections appeared to be well connected,satas were enabled in BIOS. no noise coming from the WD hard drive, not sure if it is even spinning, but i think its dead. have important data on the drive i would like to recover.

so i guess my question is can i recover the data from the drive and possibly hot swap it to the working hitachi drive? are there any free or recommendable programs or devices i can use to even just recover the data from the WD drive available?

victorm294, Aug 23, 2020
  4. sc4s2cg Win User

Can I recover data from my old IDE/SATA hard drives?

Gigabyte motherboard, pc won't bootup after recent hard drive change

So I've previously had this problem when I added new SATA hard drives to an old one, all I had to do was switch hard disk priority to the one I wanted to boot from. But that's not working right now.

Error message: AMD Data Change...Update New Data to DMI!
    Specs:
    • Motherboard: Gigabyte ma785gmt-ud2h
    • Four SATA hard drives, three 2tb and one 1tb
    • One IDE hard drive, 160gb
    • 6gb RAM
    • Everything else is the default
    What happened: I had an Amahi home server running on this PC with Ubuntu 12.04LTS as the OS. It was using the four SATA hard drives and everything was running smoothly. Then I read that it's easiest to have a setup where the OS/Amahi is installed on one small hard drive while the large hard drives are used to keep the files on, this makes it easy to update the OS without worrying about the files. So today I installed Ubuntu 12.04LTS on an old IDE 160gb hard drive that I had laying around, which would be perfect to use since there is exactly one IDE port on the motherboard.

I disconnected all hard drives, connected the IDE, installed Ubuntu, and rebooted. I got a "AMD Data Change...Update New Data to DMI!" message.

What I tried:
    • Have the IDE be given priority over other hard drives.
    • Connecting all the hard drives back, with and without the IDE hard drive. Same message.
    • Disconnect all hard drives, connect IDE, and set BIO to opimised defaults. Same message.
    • Disconnect CD drive with only IDE attached, same message. Reconnect CD drive, same message.
    • Disconnect CD drive with only SATA attached, same message. Reconnect CD drive, same message.
    • Disconnect CD drive with SATA and IDE attached, same message. Reconnect CD drive, same message.
    • Just IDE connected, mess with the peripheral settings by changing "OnChip SATA Type" to ATHCI, RAID, or IDE. Tried this with "As SATA Type" and with "IDE" set for the port4/5 type
    • Just IDE connected, disable SATA controller
    • Disconnect IDE, reconnect original hard drives. I still get the same DMI message.
    • Attempt to boot from the SATA hard drive that has Ubuntu on it, using each of the SATA ports.
    • Update BIOS to F10B, disabling the "Remember DMI" option. I reconnected all hard drives and the CD drive (the pdf said the 'system' will redetect all devices). Now I got the "AMD Data Change...Update New Data to DMI! Update Success" message, still hanging there. Rebooted, now it's the original message.
    So I am at a loss. Any suggestions?

Edit: there were many suggestions to try clear the CMOS, however that didn't seem to help the posters. I haven't tried that, but if people suggest I should then I will do so tomorrow.

sc4s2cg, Aug 23, 2020
Thema:

Can I recover data from my old IDE/SATA hard drives?

1. Can I recover data from my old IDE/SATA hard drives? - Similar Threads - recover data old

2. Can data from old IDE drives be read and retrieved in windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can data from old IDE drives be read and retrieved in windows 11?: I am attempting to read my old IDE drives in windows 11 using a Fideco USB 3.0 to IDE/SATA converter cable. Nothing is showing in disk management that detects it, other than a delayed sound notification that a USB device was connected. Is this a controller issue with windows...
  3. Can data from old IDE drives be read and retrieved in windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can data from old IDE drives be read and retrieved in windows 11?: I am attempting to read my old IDE drives in windows 11 using a Fideco USB 3.0 to IDE/SATA converter cable. Nothing is showing in disk management that detects it, other than a delayed sound notification that a USB device was connected. Is this a controller issue with windows...
  4. Trying to Recover Data From Damaged Old Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Trying to Recover Data From Damaged Old Hard Drive: Hi! I have a circa-2008 WD MyBook 1 TB SATA external hard drive that was being used for backup. It got dropped and now I can't access the drive. I've removed the drive from the case and put it into a USB drive dock. Windows 10 File Explorer doesn't see it. Device Manager...
  5. Trying to Recover Data From Damaged Old Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to Recover Data From Damaged Old Hard Drive: Hi! I have a circa-2008 WD MyBook 1 TB SATA external hard drive that was being used for backup. It got dropped and now I can't access the drive. I've removed the drive from the case and put it into a USB drive dock. Windows 10 File Explorer doesn't see it. Device Manager...
  6. Trying to Recover Data From Damaged Old Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. How to recover data from an old laptop hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to recover data from an old laptop hard drive: I have a 2008 apple hard drive from an old macbook. I am trying to recover the files with my new laptop windows 10, however the hard drive seems to be password protected. I can open the hard drive but I cannot access the folders within the ''Users'' folder. Any suggestions?...
  8. IDE To SATA Drive Not Recognised

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    IDE To SATA Drive Not Recognised: I have a SAMSUNG 40GB IDE HDD that I took out of an old case. I acquired an IDE to SATA adapter. The drive turns on; no strange noises, or anything. It looks pretty much band new, dispite it being 15 years old. It's not recognised by Windows, and it doesn't seem to show up in...
  9. Can I retrieve data from old computer Hard Drive?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can I retrieve data from old computer Hard Drive?: My older laptop can not start therefore I thought by using News laptop with Windows 10 if, I can retrieve data from older Hard Drive? Before doing that I want to ask: 1. Is it safe to retrieve data from old computer Hard Drive? 2. To use older Hard Drive I got to buy Hard...
  10. IDE drive to SATA host

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    IDE drive to SATA host: I an trying to reuse old IDE drives and DVD writers in a system that only has SATA on board. I bought two kinds of adaptor board for it but none of them works. Here are the two boards: [img] [img] I've tried them on 2 PCs (B75 and Z97 chipset, both run Windows 10), 3 old...