Windows 10: Can I recover encrypted files with EFS without having key.pfx file ?

Discus and support Can I recover encrypted files with EFS without having key.pfx file ? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; [ATTACH]So I know that this is answer but my files are not recovered. I had some encrypted efs folder in win 7 pc that was in office domain. Upgraded... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ASWINI ANAND, Apr 17, 2021.

1. Can I recover encrypted files with EFS without having key.pfx file ?

Can I recover encrypted files with EFS without having key.pfx file ? bec96d2b-a8ce-43ea-820c-9ab38e782a66?upload=true.jpg So I know that this is answer but my files are not recovered. I had some encrypted efs folder in win 7 pc that was in office domain. Upgraded to win10, there was some issue, so had to format C$. Now my encrypted folder is in d drive but I guess the key was in C drive. I am unable to view the files eventhough its the same domain user that is trying to access. The folder has important office documents. Any solution to decrypt without a key?

Will be thankful forever,

:)

ASWINI ANAND, Apr 17, 2021
  2. Tryx3 Win User

Can I recover encrypted files with EFS without having key.pfx file ?

There is no solution available without the encryption key.

Might you be able to run
    Recuva
    or similar on the old drive to undelete the old key [there is some information about its location in

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/278973-45-decryption-encrypted-file
    ]? If you can get at the old key then the procedure used here should be able to help you -

How to open EFS encrypted files on an HDD that came from Windows XP

Without the key you are not going to recover those files. EFS is too good for that.

Denis

Tryx3, Apr 17, 2021
  3. desk77 Win User
    Backup the EFS encryption key file

Yesterday I installed OneDrive app and linked it to my office 365 enterprise University account. Since then, every time I turn on my pc, I receive a warning about backup of the encryption key from EFS application. But I have never used bitlocker.
    I did some search online and I got the list of all encrypted files: there are thousands of files and belongs to Apps, like facebook, onedrive, inkscape and so on.
    So my questions are:
    • why did that message suddenly appear?
    • why are those files encrypted?
    • do those files have to be encrypted?
    • bitdefender has just found Gen:L: [email protected]@bq2Abpn in temp folder. Could I have got a ransomware that is encrypting all files?
    Thanks in advance!

desk77, Apr 17, 2021
  4. Can I recover encrypted files with EFS without having key.pfx file ?

Hi Michael,

The Encrypting File System (EFS) is a built-in encryption tool for Windows. It is used to encrypt files and folders on your computer. You can reverse the encryption to access your files again. To decrypt folders, follow the steps below:

• Right-click the folder or file, then click Properties.
    • Click the General tab, then click Advanced.
    • Uncheck the Encrypt contents to secure data checkbox.
    • If you are decrypting folders, select the option Apply changes to this folder, subfolder and files.
    • Click OK, then click OK again to exit the window.
    Let us know if the solution above works for you.

Johann Eva, Apr 17, 2021
Thema:

1. Can I recover encrypted files with EFS without having key.pfx file ? - Similar Threads - recover encrypted files

2. Recovering EFS encrypted files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recovering EFS encrypted files?: My Windows Laptop recently was damaged and I've had to replace it with a new similar machine. I am trying to recover some files from the original broken machine which are unfortunately not recently backed-up. Since the SSD C: drive from the old machine is undamaged and fully...
  3. Recovering EFS encrypted files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovering EFS encrypted files?: My Windows Laptop recently was damaged and I've had to replace it with a new similar machine. I am trying to recover some files from the original broken machine which are unfortunately not recently backed-up. Since the SSD C: drive from the old machine is undamaged and fully...
  4. EFS encrypted files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    EFS encrypted files: I don't have the encryption certificate but seem to have the encryption file key on a USB drive. Is there a way to recover a deleted certificate? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/efs-encrypted-files/7e1a837d-3e08-4156-8e6f-f3b71ecc89d4
  5. EFS encrypted files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    EFS encrypted files: I don't have the encryption certificate but seem to have the encryption file key on a USB drive. Is there a way to recover a deleted certificate? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/efs-encrypted-files/7e1a837d-3e08-4156-8e6f-f3b71ecc89d4
  6. EFS encrypted files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. copying EFS files encrypted files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    copying EFS files encrypted files: Hello,i am studying for the md-100 exam and came across this posthttps://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/efs-copying-moving-files/a013bd25-fca9-475c-a4aa-15b8e2de3b51Here it states that any user can move encrypted files on the same drive.However ik tested this...
  8. copying EFS files encrypted files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    copying EFS files encrypted files: Hello,i am studying for the md-100 exam and came across this posthttps://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/efs-copying-moving-files/a013bd25-fca9-475c-a4aa-15b8e2de3b51Here it states that any user can move encrypted files on the same drive.However ik tested this...
  9. Import EFS File Encryption Certificate and Key (PFX file) in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Import EFS File Encryption Certificate and Key (PFX file) in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]When you EFS encrypt your files/folders, it’s recommended you create a backup of your file encryption certificate and key to a PFX file, to avoid permanently losing access to your encrypted files and folders if the original certificate and key [...] This...
  10. Backup the EFS encryption key file

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Backup the EFS encryption key file: Yesterday I installed OneDrive app and linked it to my office 365 enterprise University account. Since then, every time I turn on my pc, I receive a warning about backup of the encryption key from EFS application. But I have never used bitlocker. I did some search online and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to recover efs encryption key i lost my key

2. data encrypted can i recover without pfx