Windows 10: Can I redirect Program files to D drive?

Discus and support Can I redirect Program files to D drive? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Split from this thread. HI, If I do this. To change the default installation path, just follow below steps: 1. Press Windows key + R and type... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Roy Lane 48, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Can I redirect Program files to D drive?

Split from this thread.​

HI, If I do this.

To change the default installation path, just follow below steps:

1. Press Windows key + R and type gpedit.msc

1. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion.

2. At the right panel, look for ProgramFilesDir.

3. Double click on it to change the value to your desired path. For example, change the value fromC:\Program Files to D:\Softwares.

Registry disclaimer

To do so: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Will the Windows and Microsoft updates still go to the C:\ Drive where the OS is?

:)

Roy Lane 48, Jan 9, 2021

2. D drive

Hi,

Based on the details you have provided us, it appears that there might be some corrupted contents on the said partition. We can also consider that this is caused by a virus.

For us to check if a certain virus is hiding your files, kindly follow the steps below:

• Type Command prompt in the search bar.
    • Type-in the following command:

attrib -h -r -s /s /d D:\*.*
    • Press Enter to execute the command.

If you think that there is nothing important stored in it, then we suggest that you reformat your D drive so that you can use the free space for important files.

You can follow the steps below to start with the process:

• Click on the File Explorer.
    • Select This PC.
    • Right-click on your D drive, then click on Format.
    • Follow the on-screen process to finish formatting the partition.

Let us know how it goes so that we can further assist you.

Engelsen Fad, Jan 9, 2021
  3. John Vil Win User
    Move documents from D drive into reinstalled program

Hi,

We recommend that you contact the program developer for instructions on how to move your files. They should be able to provide you a step-by-step guide on you can move your documents from the D:\ drive to their program.

Thank you.

John Vil, Jan 9, 2021
  4. dearnold Win User

Can I redirect Program files to D drive?

Redirect a system file problem

Thank you, dalchina. I did use the location tab and I've done it many times over the years - so I wasn't following the tut and didn't use proper care by making a system backup first. Lesson learned (again)!

I'm not entirely sure how I did it, but it now appears to be fixed. I followed a suggestion in another thread that I happened on.
    the steps were:
    1. make a new downloads folder in the destination location of choice
    2. right click on the "wrong" shortcut - D:\ in my case & select Properties
    3. In the path field, simply change it to your preferred destination and click APPLY
    4. You'll get a request to confirm the redirection - click No
    5. Click OK in your D:\ window
    Restart.

After restarting, I opened File Explorer and the Downloads system folder seems to be where I want it - D:\DOWNLOADS
    I manually moved a few files into it.
    There are no error messages.
    It sounds to easy to actually be true, so I'm not publishing this to the world yet.

Berton, thanks for chiming in. Your solution certainly works, but I don't want to have to think about yet another "maintenance" step if I can possibly avoid it.

dearnold, Jan 9, 2021
Thema:

Can I redirect Program files to D drive?

1. Can I redirect Program files to D drive? - Similar Threads - redirect Program files

2. Switch C: drive with D: drive and move Program Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Switch C: drive with D: drive and move Program Files: I have a desktop HP computer tha has a C: drive SSD of 237 GB . Windows 10 is loaded there and by default all Program File and Program Data. The other drive D: is a Hard drive with 931 GB. C: is almost full. How do I move all the Program Files etc to D: and only leave C: only...
  3. Switch C: drive with D: drive and move Program Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Switch C: drive with D: drive and move Program Files: I have a desktop HP computer tha has a C: drive SSD of 237 GB . Windows 10 is loaded there and by default all Program File and Program Data. The other drive D: is a Hard drive with 931 GB. C: is almost full. How do I move all the Program Files etc to D: and only leave C: only...
  4. Can I save Programs to D: drive not C: drive ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I save Programs to D: drive not C: drive ?: HelloI Have my C: drive 120 GB and my D Drive 335 GBmy C: Drive is now only on 35 GB free, and this is programs aloneIs there away that I move old programs to D: drive? even if I have to uninstall them and reinstall them??Also, in PC health check, I found the following photo,...
  5. Can I save Programs to D: drive not C: drive ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I save Programs to D: drive not C: drive ?: HelloI Have my C: drive 120 GB and my D Drive 335 GBmy C: Drive is now only on 35 GB free, and this is programs aloneIs there away that I move old programs to D: drive? even if I have to uninstall them and reinstall them??Also, in PC health check, I found the following photo,...
  6. Can I save Programs to D: drive not C: drive ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Can i move all of the program files in the C: drive into a D: drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can i move all of the program files in the C: drive into a D: drive?: i recently found out that i had a bigger drive D: in my system that wasn't activated, and I was wondering if I could move everything in the C: drive into the D: drive without messing everything up? there's hardly any space left on the C: drive while there's 500 gigabytes...
  8. can i store files in the (D:) drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    can i store files in the (D:) drive?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Basic-In-Out-System [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mggt91/can_i_store_files_in_the_d_drive/
  9. Can I delete this files that are on my D:\ drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can I delete this files that are on my D:\ drive?: Hello, I think this is my second post on this community and I wanted to ask if I could delete all the files that are on the D:\ drive since I want to use it to put my games on that drive and some of the files take a lot of storage. Here Im leaving a screenshot of the files...
  10. Random Program Files Folder on D: Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Random Program Files Folder on D: Drive: hey y’all, i got a new ssd and i’m replacing my Seagate 4TB External Hard Drive with it i used to download games on that drive (the D: drive is the external hard drive) and after i got an SSD (E:) i started downloading games there i’ve moved all my files from my D: Drive to...