Windows 10: Can I reformat windows on my main ssd without wiping my secondary ssd

Discus and support Can I reformat windows on my main ssd without wiping my secondary ssd in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I've copied about 100gb of shadowplay clips that I plan to edit eventually. I moved all my backup files to my second ssd along with some big games that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/reditgamer2008, Jul 19, 2020.

1. Can I reformat windows on my main ssd without wiping my secondary ssd

I've copied about 100gb of shadowplay clips that I plan to edit eventually. I moved all my backup files to my second ssd along with some big games that would take too long to redownload (cod 192gb lol).

When I reinstall windows with my usb, and when I don't wipe the secondary drive in that partition menu, will it be usable and show all my files on my new install of windows?

submitted by /u/reditgamer2008
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/reditgamer2008, Jul 19, 2020

2. How can I reformat SSD?

I see that my SSD is set as write protected. Can I reformat it?

EirinSletten, Jul 19, 2020
  3. Carlo Fer Win User
    wed can reformatting ssd

Hello Allen,

It seems that you're SSD is in a read-only state. Read-only is the same as write-protected.

As an initial troubleshooting, I suggest that you follow the steps provided by Angela Pun which helped a lot of community members in this
    thread.
    Make sure to select the SSD drive.

If the issue still persists, please follow these steps on how to format a write-protected SSD using Command Prompt.

1. Press the Windows key + R. A run dialog box will open.
    2. Type CMD then press Enter.
    3. Type diskpart
    4. Type list volume
    5. Type select volume # ( # is the number of USB HDD you've plugged in)
    6. Type attributes disk clear
      read-only
    7. Type clean

If you have additional questions, or if the issue persists after the troubleshooting steps above, please let me know by replying to this thread. This way, I'll get notified and respond back to you as soon as I can.

Carlo Fer, Jul 19, 2020
  4. ProxCor3 Win User

Can I reformat windows on my main ssd without wiping my secondary ssd

Reformatting SSD and not HD

Hello there!

I have an MSI Laptop with a 128gb SSD and a 500gb HD.

I have windows installed on my SSD and personal files on my HD. But now my SSD is almost full i wish to format it / reinstall windows 10 on it for a fresh start, but without losing the data on my HD.

I have been using Mac OSX for the past ten and am very out of touch of windows.

Any suggestions on the best way to do this would be awesome.

Many thanks.

Alex

ProxCor3, Jul 19, 2020
Thema:

Can I reformat windows on my main ssd without wiping my secondary ssd

1. Can I reformat windows on my main ssd without wiping my secondary ssd - Similar Threads - reformat main ssd

2. Can I install Windows FROM a secondary SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I install Windows FROM a secondary SSD: Currently my laptop boots windows from a 120gb m.2 drive and has a secondary 500gb data drive. Can I put the W10 iso file on the data drive, upgrade my m.2 drive and then do a fresh install on the new drive? submitted by /u/ashep5 [link] [comments]...
  3. If i reset my windows 10 will it wipe my ssd as well.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    If i reset my windows 10 will it wipe my ssd as well.: I was told to reset my windows because of other problems i was facing. I don't want it to wipe everything i have on my external. I have a desktop and only one drive....
  4. wipe ssd?

wipe ssd?: I like to reinstall windows every now and then to make it fresh again, a few months ago I bought the Western Digital SN750 NVMe M.2 SSD. When I tried to wipe it using the bootable usb thumb drive I created in the WD Dashboard non of the operations worked (sanitize, format and...
  5. Wiping SSD

Wiping SSD: My computer's not working right now, so I'm planning on wiping my ssd can fresh installing windows 10, if I were to wipe it, would I be able to use the same windows product key again? submitted by /u/JEEL13 [link] [comments]...
  6. How can I make my ssd the main boot drive?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How can I make my ssd the main boot drive?: Hello, so I recently Installed windows to my new Kingston ssd and I have noticed that it does not display in my bios as the main boot drive for UEFI. So whenever I have to turn off my computer or restart it I have to press f9 boot drive selector and manually select my ssd to...
  7. Can't boot from SSD with my Windows install without secondary HDD

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't boot from SSD with my Windows install without secondary HDD: My PC is a real mix of old and new parts and I currently have a problem where my 2TB mechanical HDD is failing. It is 100% active all the time, but frequently hangs or simply takes forever to browse or transfer any files, so I'm pretty sure it is on the way out. When I remove...
  8. Reformatting SSD and not HD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reformatting SSD and not HD: Hello there! I have an MSI Laptop with a 128gb SSD and a 500gb HD. I have windows installed on my SSD and personal files on my HD. But now my SSD is almost full i wish to format it / reinstall windows 10 on it for a fresh start, but without losing the data on my HD. I...
  9. wed can reformatting ssd

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    wed can reformatting ssd: how do I reformat an ssd that seems to be set as write protected? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/wed-can-reformatting-ssd/9d6ffacf-e8a0-4413-8bf5-fc9fe1d7e1ea
  10. how can I wipe my SSD clean?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    how can I wipe my SSD clean?: On my computer, I have an SSD that was originally for a Vista computer. I'd like to wipe it clean to either toss it out or save it for future use. However is it a good idea to save it for future use? --- Do modern SSD's have better technology and performance? Either way,...