Windows 10: Can I reinstall this OEM Windows 10 with rescue USB

Discus and support Can I reinstall this OEM Windows 10 with rescue USB in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Weird question: I've created a rescue USB that includes system files from my OEM instalation, the wizard mentioned that, including system files may... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by FerchogtX, Dec 16, 2016.

1. FerchogtX Win User

Can I reinstall this OEM Windows 10 with rescue USB

Weird question: I've created a rescue USB that includes system files from my OEM instalation, the wizard mentioned that, including system files may help me in reinstalling the OS with this USB in case I cannot boot into Windows. The question is, in case I change my HDD for whatever reason, Can I reinstall this OEM Windows 10 with the USB in the new HDD and still get it activated and all the stuff from Acer restored as it would do a normal factory reset?

Thanks in advance *Wink

:)

FerchogtX, Dec 16, 2016

2. windows 10 problems

Just boot the media and do a
    Clean Install Windows 10
    following the steps in the link. You would already be done and using the best install possible so I wouldn't waste any more time.

You can rescue any files needed from the same Command Prompt following
    Rescue Files when Windows Won't Start

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Dec 16, 2016
  3. Stuck on Windows 10 Welcome Screen.

Paul -

Do you have files that need rescue and you cannot rescue them using the booted media following

Rescue Files when Windows Won't Start,

or slave the hard drive to another PC to copy them out? If so they you'd want to highlight the large partition you have shown highlighted in the screenshot, then click Next.

By not deleting or formatting the partition it should archive your files in a folder in C:\Windows.old under your User name, so you can copy them out into the new install. Later you can delete Windows.old using

Disk cleanup in Windows 10 - Windows Help -

If you don't need to rescue your files because you wisely have them backed up or already rescued them then follow the illustrated steps in

Clean Install Windows 10
    to delete all partitions down to Unallocated Space first to get it cleanest.

Keep in mind that you will get and keep the best possible install to the exact extent you stick with the steps in

Clean Install Windows 10
    which is the best install of Windows you can possibly have compiling everything that works best.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Dec 16, 2016
  4. Railtech Win User

A hard drive change will not effect activation in Windows 10. A rescue media is dependent on an already installed OS (your original HDD). In order to move to a new or different drive, disk imaging tools such as Macrium Reflect need to be used.

Railtech, Dec 17, 2016
  5. Winuser Win User
    I second Railtech's suggestion of making a image with Macrium Reflect. External drives are relatively cheap. Make sure you create the rescue media in case you ever have to use Macrium Reflect and your computer wont start.

Winuser, Dec 17, 2016
  6. FerchogtX Win User
    All right. Thanks for the info guys. Is Macrium Reflect free or has any cost?

Thank you for this info *Biggrin

FerchogtX, Dec 18, 2016
  7. CountMike New Member
    Free version is quite enough for what you want, payed has some more advanced functions like continual backup update etc.

CountMike, Dec 18, 2016
  8. FerchogtX Win User

Fantástic. One more question, Can I have the backup in an external drive that already has some data and document backups?

FerchogtX, Dec 18, 2016
  9. CountMike New Member
    Yeah sure, it just makes one large file so if there's enough space you can put it wherever you want to,

CountMike, Dec 18, 2016
  10. FerchogtX Win User
    Thank you so much for the answers.
    One more thing, let's say I want to clone the original drive the OS came installed in, into the new one, connected via USB as an external drive, can I do this with Macrium, then connect the new drive cloned and get the system to boot?

Sorry if I'm being annoying XD.

Merry christmas *Biggrin

FerchogtX, Dec 23, 2016
  11. CountMike New Member
    Yes, it has a cloning option too.

CountMike, Dec 23, 2016
  12. Saltgrass Win User
    I am not sure you got an answer to your original question but a Recovery Drive created in Win 10 with the System Files box checked will reinstall Win 10 to a replacement Drive.

If you have an original Win 10 install and it is set up correctly, you can do a full factory reset which includes Win 10 and the OEM utilities.

No Reset option will replace your personal utilities and most apps, thus why a system image is a good option if you want to replace a drive.

Saltgrass, Dec 24, 2016
  13. FerchogtX Win User

Great! Thanks a bunch!!!

Ok, so, to get this straight, I install my new HDD, then I boot into this USB drive I did with system files included, then I can get the option to reinstall (refresh-reset) Windows 10 (which will include all the OEM stuff), it will activate and install fully, like if it was a complete retail clean instalation.

Am I right? O_O

FerchogtX, Dec 27, 2016
  14. Saltgrass Win User
    You are correct if, your system had been set up correctly to work with the Recovery system. I have a system I got last December and one I got three weeks ago. Only the most recent works correctly.

You can check the recovery drive and see if there are references to the OEM stuff. There should be some additional images in addition to the 3.5 GB Win 10 image. May be identified as Apps.ppkg1 or something similar and 3 to 4 additional GBs.

If it won't do the OEM utilities, it will at least do Win 10. But as mentioned, an image replaces the system exactly or at least the critical partition depending on what you include in the image.

Saltgrass, Dec 27, 2016
  15. FerchogtX Win User
    Well... that is something I'm kinda puzzled about, since I bought this laptop, I can only see three partitions: 1 - 100 MB EFI Partition, another 500 MB partition (WinRE I assume, it's the same as MBR partition), and the Acer (C) partition (which I later divided into two, the main C and the D for my dicuments and stuff)... so basically, I have 4 partitions... the funny think is that disk manager doesn't seem to find or see any other partition, and the only reference to OEM stuff is a hidden folder in C called OEM.

It's kinda funny... one would spect an OEM partition or something, but there isn't any, unless I need to check in another app if there is something hidden.

FerchogtX, Dec 27, 2016
Thema:

1. Can I reinstall this OEM Windows 10 with rescue USB - Similar Threads - reinstall OEM rescue

2. Can I reinstall windows 10 from USB drives?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I reinstall windows 10 from USB drives?: How much hard drive space do I need to use ideally for a good games storage from the Microsoft store? Installing a new one and its got 2 terabytes this pc. But dunno whether its gonna fit cause of all the red wire cabling that I been told not to remove by someone we unplugged...
  3. Can I reinstall windows 10 from USB drives?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can I reinstall windows 10 from USB drives?: How much hard drive space do I need to use ideally for a good games storage from the Microsoft store? Installing a new one and its got 2 terabytes this pc. But dunno whether its gonna fit cause of all the red wire cabling that I been told not to remove by someone we unplugged...
  4. Rescue USB

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Rescue USB: Windows 10 home 2004. If I make a Macrium Rescue USB, does it have to be the only thing on that USB drive? Or can I put additional Macrium backups on it too? Thanks, cb 168966
  5. Reinstall Windows 10 with OEM key

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Reinstall Windows 10 with OEM key: I am switching my Windows laptop to Linux, but I want to keep the possibility to revert to windows if I ever have the need to. Is it possible to save only the OEM key and reinstall the OS and have it properly activated? Do I need to keep an .iso image of the system?...
  6. reinstall windows 10 pro on oem system

reinstall windows 10 pro on oem system: hey all Need some help!!! i have a oem system that I just bought about 2 months ago. it was upgraded to a window 10 pro 64 legally. when Microsoft did there wonderful update on april 14th my files got corrupt and now i can do anything. I downloaded iso files from...
  7. Rescue USB drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Rescue USB drive: I want to make Thumb drive for an emergency startup in case of a crash. I can't remember how. I'm running Windows 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/rescue-usb-drive/e466de17-146d-49b6-b346-03cba2067c41
  8. Reinstallation oem

Reinstallation oem: I wonder if it is possible to reinstall a harddrive in a computer as many times as I like with the oem dvd sort of windows 10. When a I got a computer from my parents for a few years ago there was a following dvd media that was supossed to be used only for reinstallation in...
  9. Prepare a USB drive for Rescue Disk on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Prepare a USB drive for Rescue Disk on Windows 10: I have my USB drive of 16 gb-- actually Win10 reads it as 14gb. To use this USB stick as the sole device for Rescue Repair, what is necessary to do the task? As mentioned the USB is recognized at This PC in Windows 10. But I'm getting an error when I try to do the routine....
  10. How can i reinstall windows 10 using usb

How can i reinstall windows 10 using usb: Hello guys as i posted before my laptop wont work and im stuck on repair boot loop. I have tried everything like system restore, safemode, cmd bootrec/rebuild bcd. except reinstalling windows10. Can someone please tell me how to install windows 10 because when i bought the...