Windows 10: Can I reinstall Windows and not lose my license?

Discus and support Can I reinstall Windows and not lose my license? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Can I reinstall Windows and not lose my license?So im on Windows 11 and if i reinstall the os to Windows 10 will my Windows license get removed?Because... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by ReservedYeti676, Jan 18, 2022.

1. Can I reinstall Windows and not lose my license?

Can I reinstall Windows and not lose my license?So im on Windows 11 and if i reinstall the os to Windows 10 will my Windows license get removed?Because im planing to reinstall to remove bloat, clean up space, and also Windows 11 runs worse than Windows 10 for me also i updated to 11 about 3 months ago.:Edit im on Windows 11 home its what it says in my winver:

:)

ReservedYeti676, Jan 18, 2022

2. Wìndows 10 full format without losing license

Unless you change to new hardware (motherboard), you should not need to do anything. You should be able to clean/reformat your harddisks and reinstall without an explicit windows 10 key (leave the windows key field empty during the install).

To be safe, I would recommend that you link your windows 10 product key with a Microsoft account. This should allow you to login with that account to re-verify your Windows 10, even if you have new hardware.

Step 1. Make sure you are using a Microsoft account:

Keep in mind that if you did not already have a Microsoft account, that your new login information will change to the email address/password associated with the Microsoft account.

1. Open "Settings"
    2. Select "Accounts"
    3. Select "Your info"
    4. Select "Sign in with your Microsoft account instead" link.
    5. Fill the information required
    6. "Sign in" and follow the remaining instructions.

The next step is to verify that your microsoft account is associated with the windows key.

1. Once again, open "Settings".
    2. Select "Update & security".
    3. Select "Activation" on the left bar.

If everything is good, it should say next to Activation: "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account".

When you now reformat your machine, simply login with your Microsoft account.

Step 2. Hardware Change

As the others have mentioned, if you have changed motherboard you would lose the "windows key" associated with it. That is why you will need to notify Microsoft about "Hardware change".

1. Select "Settings"
    2. Select "Update & security"
    3. Select "Activation" on the left side.
    4. Select "Troubleshoot". It should say something about it failing to be activated on your device.
    5. Select "I changed hardware on this device recently".
    6. Login with your Microsoft account (if you haven't already).
    7. Select the device you are using now, and select Activate

Sidenote: I have recently changed my own hardware (motherboard, CPU, GPU), and followed the steps above in order to keep using my same Windows 10 key.
    If for some reasons you had to take additional steps; please comment and let me know so I can update the step-by-step answer Can I reinstall Windows and not lose my license? :)

Ivan Skodje, Jan 18, 2022
  3. Winuser Win User
    Back up a licensed software?

Have you looked in the program to see if the key is listed? Some programs will list the key in the About Program or in Settings. Also some programs will make you deactivate before you can reinstall.

Winuser, Jan 18, 2022
  4. 3Colors Win User

Can I reinstall Windows and not lose my license?

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Can I reinstall Windows and not lose my license? :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Jan 18, 2022
Thema:

Can I reinstall Windows and not lose my license?

1. Can I reinstall Windows and not lose my license? - Similar Threads - reinstall lose license

2. Do i lose my license

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Do i lose my license: Hello again, so im planning to install windows 11 from my usb my laptop. But i get curious if my pro license will be gone because my laptop is oem type and the original license is home single language and i upgraded it to pro for workstation. So will the pro version be gone?...
  3. Do i lose my license

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Do i lose my license: Hello again, so im planning to install windows 11 from my usb my laptop. But i get curious if my pro license will be gone because my laptop is oem type and the original license is home single language and i upgraded it to pro for workstation. So will the pro version be gone?...
  4. Will I lose my Windows 10 license linked to my Microsoft account if I reinstall Windows?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will I lose my Windows 10 license linked to my Microsoft account if I reinstall Windows?: I have a HP 255 G8 laptop, and I've been using it for 9 months. Recently a blue screen of death popped up and I've been stuck on a bootloop with no choice other than to reinstall Windows. I've tried System Restore, resetting my PC, but nothing worked. If I reinstall Windows,...
  5. Will I lose my Windows 10 license linked to my Microsoft account if I reinstall Windows?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Will I lose my Windows 10 license linked to my Microsoft account if I reinstall Windows?: I have a HP 255 G8 laptop, and I've been using it for 9 months. Recently a blue screen of death popped up and I've been stuck on a bootloop with no choice other than to reinstall Windows. I've tried System Restore, resetting my PC, but nothing worked. If I reinstall Windows,...
  6. Will I lose my Windows 10 license linked to my Microsoft account if I reinstall Windows?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Can I reinstall Windows and not lose my license?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I reinstall Windows and not lose my license?: Can I reinstall Windows and not lose my license?So im on Windows 11 and if i reinstall the os to Windows 10 will my Windows license get removed?Because im planing to reinstall to remove bloat, clean up space, and also Windows 11 runs worse than Windows 10 for me also i...
  8. Will I lose my license if I reinstall Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Will I lose my license if I reinstall Windows 10?: I have an ASUS A407UF and it has Windows 10 Home Single Languange pre-installed. I want to upgrade my laptop to SSD and install Windows on that SSD while keeping my HDD as storage. Will I lose my license? Or is it connected to the motherboard and I just have to log in to my...
  9. how can I reinstall my system without losing my windows license?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    how can I reinstall my system without losing my windows license?: I'm thinking about buying a SSD to have a faster machine but I don't know how can I reinstall the system without losing my license. Can anyone help me? submitted by /u/brownieinutil [link] [comments]...
  10. Will I lose my license?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Will I lose my license?: So, I currently have a Windows 10 Pro license upgraded from Windows 8.1. If I buy a new SSD, and install Windows 10 using the same CD-Key which my current Windows 10 has (no other hardware change, only SSD) will that work or will I have to buy a new license? 59237