Windows 10: Can I remove external drives from enclosure and add to nas?

Discus and support Can I remove external drives from enclosure and add to nas? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a total of 7 western digital hard drives, 6 8TB my books and 1 16TB my book duo. It has become quite a project getting them all working... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by CampNowhere, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Can I remove external drives from enclosure and add to nas?

I have a total of 7 western digital hard drives, 6 8TB my books and 1 16TB my book duo.

It has become quite a project getting them all working properly with various usb 3 hubs.

Can I take the hard drives out of their enclosure and add them to a NAS such as a synology without losing all my data on them?

:)

CampNowhere, Apr 19, 2020

2. Nas drive enclosures

Im trying to decide what NAS hard disk enclosure to purchase. Im looking at Netgear 102 , aZyxel Ns320, and a Zyxel Nsa 325v2. They are Nas ready two bay units that support raid 0,1.. im not sure which would be best with Win 10. Opinions would be welcome.

MikkelLawrence2, Apr 19, 2020
  3. Mussels Win User
    HELP!!! External Drive issues!!

you're in luck, the guy with way too much external storage is here to the rescue!

step 1: try with a different USB cable

step 2: take the drive out of the enclosure and connect it internally to your PC

quite likely the cable or enclosure has died. if you're re-initialising the disk you might actually be erasing it... so dont do that.

Mussels, Apr 19, 2020
  4. Can I remove external drives from enclosure and add to nas?

Internal Drive+Enclosure or External Drive

Hi, I'm not very familiar with storage solutions so I was wondering if you guys could help me out. I'm looking to buy a 1TB+ drive for backup. External drives seem like more elegant solutions but when I looked on Newegg many reviews seem to suggest that they are not long lived (e.g. break within weeks/months). Is this true? If so, are internal drives + enclosures better? Or do any of you have better solutions that I don't know about (like I said I'm not that familiar with the storage department). Thanks.

runevirage, Apr 19, 2020
Thema:

Can I remove external drives from enclosure and add to nas?

1. Can I remove external drives from enclosure and add to nas? - Similar Threads - remove external drives

2. Formatting Hard Drive in External Enclosure

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Formatting Hard Drive in External Enclosure: Hello All Wanted to format a Hard drive in external enclosure, and swap out a very old drive in Mom's Desktop machine, ((No room for SSD in that system unforuately, Older HP P6-2133W AMD A6-3620 Desktop) Anyways dummy me started the task on Secondary Gaming Laptop PC, so far...
  3. External HDD 3.5 WD RED NAS Enclosure Keeps Ejecting

External HDD 3.5 WD RED NAS Enclosure Keeps Ejecting: I have a Sabrent 3.5 external enclosure. It keeps ejecting itself from one of my Windows 10 computers running build 20H2 19041.804. The 3.5 HDD is a WD Red NAS HDD 4TB. The ejecting of the drive happens frequently. I use this drive to continually read/write data for various...
  4. External HDD 3.5 WD RED NAS Enclosure Keeps Ejecting

in Windows 10 Support
    External HDD 3.5 WD RED NAS Enclosure Keeps Ejecting: I have a Sabrent 3.5 external enclosure. It keeps ejecting itself from one of my Windows 10 computers running build 20H2 19041.804. The 3.5 HDD is a WD Red NAS HDD 4TB. The ejecting of the drive happens frequently. I use this drive to continually read/write data for various...
  5. External Enclosure Bad drive

External Enclosure Bad drive: Well decided to check out from my old AMD FX system, the 2tb storage drive in the Mass Cool Enclosure, HDTune shows entirely red It went thru that error scan the fastest i ever seen it do one lol, not sure if false positive or what, but just in case, transferring the data...
  6. Access data files from bootable drive in external enclosure

in Windows 10 Support
    Access data files from bootable drive in external enclosure: How do I access Word documents on a bootable drive in an external drive enclosure? I'm using both win7 and win10. Jim 125589
  7. External Bare Drive Enclosure for W10 and Linux

External Bare Drive Enclosure for W10 and Linux: Any recommendations for enclosures that will work with both OS's? 115832
  8. Replacement external drive - should I get a new enclosure?

Replacement external drive - should I get a new enclosure?: About 10 days ago when I ran Hard Disk Sentinel on my system it showed one of my external drives as only 19% healthy, with an expected remaining lifetime of 56 days. As the drive, a 2TB WD Black 3.5", was bought in November 2013 and had a 5-year warranty I got the receipt...
  9. External enclosure won't accept different hard drives

External enclosure won't accept different hard drives: Hello, so to better understand my problem, I recently bought an HDD external enclosure for a hard drive that has some old family memories on it. I hooked it up, closed it and connected it to my Windows 10 laptop. My anti-virus scanned for problems, and there were no problems...
  10. Can't access drives in external USB 3 enclosures

Can't access drives in external USB 3 enclosures: Ever since I switched over to my new Windows 10 PC, I haven't been able to access my external USB 3.0 enclosures. They are all 4-disk enclosures by IcyDock (Black Vortex). On my old Windows 7 PC, all I had to do was turn it on and all 4 drives were detected via USB 3. Now on...