Windows 10: Can I remove the dotted selection box on a mouse?

Discus and support Can I remove the dotted selection box on a mouse? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello all, I was wondering if anyone knew how to remove the dotted selection box that comes from holding the left mouse button and moving the mouse... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Pigface, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Pigface Win User

Can I remove the dotted selection box on a mouse?

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone knew how to remove the dotted selection box that comes from holding the left mouse button and moving the mouse on the desktop? I like the feature, I would just like to remove the box. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

:)

Pigface, Feb 12, 2017

2. Contacts Facebook

Open the People Hub on the phone & tap 3 dots in the lower right hand corner of the screen. Select Settings > filter contact list > remove the checkmark in the box next to Facebook.

Julie fka profjulie, Feb 12, 2017
  3. OmahaGal Win User
    Ribbon does keeps disappearing

I have checked *Show Tabs And Commands* in the ribbon options.

It shows that it has been selected and the ribbon appears. I save the page. When I reopen it, the ribbon is hidden again.

The ribbon box is there, but when I click on it, it goes away .. and I get 3 dots.

Clicking on the dots brings back the ribbon box .. and clicking on the ribbon box brings the dots back. Vicious circle. The ribbon stays gone.

Using Win10 and Word 2016

OmahaGal, Feb 12, 2017
  4. Can I remove the dotted selection box on a mouse?

I for one, have no idea what your talking about? I have no such box? A screen shot would help.

alphanumeric, Feb 12, 2017
  5. Edwin New Member
    Take your mouse focus away from the desktop, or, right click on the desktop and click Refresh

Edwin, Feb 13, 2017
  6. pepanee Win User
    I am not the original person who is asking about this, but I believe he's talking about this. I agree, sometimes this gray dotted box appears, and sometimes the blue lined box appears instead. There's no logic behind it. I prefer the blue box, because it looks better, but yes: How do you get rid of this stupid dotted box?

Can I remove the dotted selection box on a mouse? [​IMG]

pepanee, Feb 13, 2017
  7. Berton Win User
    Don't think the line can be eliminated except by clicking on a blank area of the screen, takes the focus away from what was selected. That has been a feature of the Copy, Cut, Delete things in a number of versions of Windows, Linux and Mac OS X/newest macOS to denote the Selecting of items, some temporarily while dragging across icons or files. It lets the use know what has been Selected.

Berton, Feb 13, 2017
  8. bro67 Win User

You will always get that box when you hold down the Left Button. Windows is expecting you to copy or cut from that area. Why are you holding down the Left button to begin with is my question.

bro67, Feb 13, 2017
  9. Ok, I get it now. I don't have any ICONS on my desktop so I never see that. I do everything from my Taskbar and Start menu.

alphanumeric, Feb 13, 2017
  10. bro67 Win User
    I never keep the icons on my desktop, just taskbar. It drove the so called IT coordinators at the unit I moved to, when I would place them on the Task Bar. In the end, the new LAN Coordinator that I had known from another unit, took the taskbar shortcut file and installed on all desktops, since it cut down on wasted moves with the mouse.

bro67, Feb 13, 2017
  11. Berton Win User
    Was that a Folder Pinned to the Taskbar that you moved the icons into?

Berton, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can I remove the dotted selection box on a mouse? - Similar Threads - remove dotted selection

2. How to Remove or Hide the White Square Box with Dots on WIndows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Remove or Hide the White Square Box with Dots on WIndows 10: Hello, I'm using Windows 10 and I clicked apps on background. After I closing the window, the white square thingyi appeared. Is there way to hide or remove this white dots showing around the app?...
  3. mouse cursor selection box

in Windows 10 Customization
    mouse cursor selection box: HelloIt's been a few weeks my mouse cursor selection box In the form of the photo below Can you help me get back to normal?Thanks in advance https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mouse-cursor-selection-box/56383ae0-6644-44fe-845c-8ff48db90233
  4. Mouse selection box appearing after renaming file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mouse selection box appearing after renaming file: Hello, When i rename a file and i click to the side to finish. After a moments pause as its saving the file name. A selection box appears between where i clicked off and where the mouse currently is, as if i was was holding down the mouse button but i'm not. The selection...
  5. Mouse box selection not appearing

Mouse box selection not appearing: When i hold my mouse and move it somewhere else on the desktop it does not work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mouse-box-selection-not-appearing/7a96e602-07a4-42a2-9e5f-7c01c0560b94
  6. Mouse selection box

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Mouse selection box: [ATTACH]how can i change it back to normal? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mouse-selection-box/91ad513c-abc3-4b96-bcc3-0f4b732876fb
  7. Selection box/area on Desktop is transparent with dotted outline.

Selection box/area on Desktop is transparent with dotted outline.: As the question says, the selection box/area on the desktop is transparent with a dotted outline as you can see in the image below. Generally it is a blue-ish translucent box. This just happened randomly. Also I have a PC and a Laptop and it has happened on both. Windows 10...
  8. boxes filling with dots on browser and login boxes

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    boxes filling with dots on browser and login boxes: windows 10 fills boxes with do.ts...................................................................... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/boxes-filling-with-dots-on-browser-and-login-boxes/fd996309-c2e3-46d6-a8db-2da11050c7f6
  9. The constant dotted line box.

in Windows 10 Support
    The constant dotted line box.: In pretty much every Windows session I end up getting the dotted line box around my desktop icons. Even after restarting Windows Explorer (which ends it) it's not long before it returns. Is there a more permanent way to prevent this happening or is this just the joys of Win...
  10. How to remove ‘Select privacy settings’ box

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to remove ‘Select privacy settings’ box: After updating Windows 10 before shut down, i booted up my laptop to find a box asking me to select privacy settings. No matter how many times i select and click okay, it won’t go away. Just keeps telling me to try again. Short of resetting my laptop, there is nothing else I...