Windows 10: Can I remove the FDos folder after I've installed Windows?

Discus and support Can I remove the FDos folder after I've installed Windows? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I got a new laptop for Christmas and it came with FreeDos, so I had to manually install Windows 7 and then upgrade to Windows 10. I was browsing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Architeuthis, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Can I remove the FDos folder after I've installed Windows?

I got a new laptop for Christmas and it came with FreeDos, so I had to manually install Windows 7 and then upgrade to Windows 10. I was browsing through my files to see if everything is okay and I noticed a folder named "fdos". It is located in the D partition. I assumed it was something to do with FreeDos. Can I delete it now that I've installed Windows 10? It doesn't bother me, I'm just wondering.*sarc

:)

Architeuthis, Feb 6, 2017
  2. siddra Win User

Help plzzzzzzz.....N72 Messaging Memory Issue.

I've opened it after removing memory card. I can access msgs now Can I remove the FDos folder after I've installed Windows? :). The problem is now with one folder in "my folders" which has 2000+ msgs but it doesnt open. But i think after removing msgs from other folders, may be i can access it.

Thanks a lot!!!

siddra, Feb 6, 2017
  3. Photos app keeps re-syncing a folder I remove from it

I've had Windows 10 installed for a couple of days now, and whilst the Photos app is a nice add-on, I've hit a few snags with it. It keeps syncing the main photos folder into the app, even after I remove the pathway so it doesn't sync again. The picture
    folder has some sensitive documents stored in it (Like backups of personal details) that I don't want to make public to anyone who might use the PC and browse in the Photos app.

I've tried removing all folders, but they just get re synced after a reboot. I've tried adding a different folder along with removing the others, but said folder reappears. Is there any way to fix this?

Amatsukaze the Chocobotaur, Feb 6, 2017
  4. philc43 Win User

Can I remove the FDos folder after I've installed Windows?

If you want a really clean W10 installation with none of the carried over problems/software from previous installations I would suggest you wipe everything including all partitions and start with a truly clean W10 installation - see Windows 10 - Clean Install. Having already installed W10 once you will automatically activate from the digital rights now associated with your system, you can therefore skip any product key entry when it asks for this during the installation.

philc43, Feb 6, 2017
  5. I was just wondering if I can delete the folder, I wasn't asking for a W10 Clean Installation.

Architeuthis, Feb 6, 2017
  6. Yes you can delete the FDOS folder. It contains the supporting programs for Free Dos. Also check to see if you have "FCONFIG.SYS", "KERNEL.SYS" and "AUTOEXEC.BAT". You can get rid of those also.

storageman, Feb 6, 2017
  7. philc43 Win User
    I was just offering an alternative suggestion for dealing with left over programs. Most W10 installations benefit enormously from a clean install. But yes you can simply delete the folder. I'm not sure if it has any registry entries so a search for fdos in the registry will find any keys and you can choose whether to delete them.

philc43, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Can I remove the FDos folder after I've installed Windows?

1. Can I remove the FDos folder after I've installed Windows? - Similar Threads - remove FDos folder

2. I cannot delete a folder, I've tried everything

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I cannot delete a folder, I've tried everything: I downloaded notepad ++ from a third party because I needed an older version, but it also installed a program SAntivirus, which I cannot delete no matter what I do. I've tried all the third party things, access denied, I tried all the basic things like through task manager,...
  3. windows powershell can I remove it?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    windows powershell can I remove it?: How do I remove windows powershell? It tkaes forever to sign in! I really hate this thing! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-powershell-can-i-remove-it/06e725c2-3441-41cb-ac65-6d8dd0dee263
  4. How can i remove these ''Folders'' in This PC

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can i remove these ''Folders'' in This PC: Hello, i try to find a way how can i remove these Folders Foldere, my windows it's in Romanian language [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-remove-these-folders-in-this-pc/f4117ef2-ab54-499f-8179-34457f556ec2
  5. How can I remove Windows and install Linux instead?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How can I remove Windows and install Linux instead?: How can I remove Windows and install Linux instead? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-remove-windows-and-install-linux-instead/989f3513-f8de-44c0-b5e2-4d3ad079ef3f
  6. There is a file that I can not remove

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    There is a file that I can not remove: I was messing around on the batch files and stuff because I was board. I made one batch file that had every thing it it and when I saved it my anti-virus went off. When I look it said error and It could not remove it. When I did I could not remove. The good thing is it is...
  7. how can i remove this window

in Windows 10 Customization
    how can i remove this window: when i click shut down and i mean it how can i remove this window? this window is so annoying, just updated and i hate this window [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-remove-this-window/6c2e45ac-1599-463d-adef-1f50ea25eef5
  8. How can I remove Pre-installed McAfee? Windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How can I remove Pre-installed McAfee? Windows 10: It was the late great Robear who was probably the main provider of answers to this question. He helped me in my May 2016 thread here https://tinyurl.com/y925ryg5 My new Lenovo came with McAfee pre-installed - are his procedures still good please? PS Should this be in V&M?...
  9. Favorite Folders freezes Internet/How can I remove

in Browsers and Email
    Favorite Folders freezes Internet/How can I remove: I just had the Windows 10 update from Windows7. I imported my favorites and have figured out how to find them. My problem is some of my favorites have a folder icon beside it. When I click it, it freezes my Internet. I also cant remove from drop down option. I also cant...
  10. Can I delete $Windows.~BT after installing?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can I delete $Windows.~BT after installing?: This folder and $Windows.~WS are both part of the Windows 10 upgrade from what I've been told. Now that I've finished the installation, these two folders are still on my C: drive, eating up 11.5GB of space between them. Is it safe to get rid of them after the installation is...