Windows 10: Can I remove windows from an old SSD so that I can use it as a storage drive instead?

Discus and support Can I remove windows from an old SSD so that I can use it as a storage drive instead? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I bought a larger SSD for my computer and installed windows on it, but I would like to use the old smaller SSD that I had been using as my OS disk... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by CatShadows, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Can I remove windows from an old SSD so that I can use it as a storage drive instead?

Hi,

I bought a larger SSD for my computer and installed windows on it, but I would like to use the old smaller SSD that I had been using as my OS disk previously as storage only. My issue is that I don't seem to be able to remove the windows installation that is on it, even in safe mode, and even after making my account owner with all permissions.

Can you please tell me if there is a way to wipe the windows installation from this disk now that I am using the new SSD as my system disk.

Thank you

:)

CatShadows, Aug 7, 2019
  2. 333t Win User

How to remove a bad drive in Windows 10 storage spaces pool

Could someone list the steps involved in replacing a bad drive from a Windows 10 storage spaces pool? I cannot find any info on the Microsoft support site that is specific to Windows 10. Also, could you list the steps to remove a 'good' drive and replace
    it with another drive if the process is different?

333t, Aug 7, 2019
  3. WesKlatt Win User
    Upgrading HP SSD drive on HP 750-524

I purchased an HP Envy tower with a 128Gb SSD which is where Windows is installed, I have purchased a new 1TB SSD drive that I would like to replace the 128 GB drive with. My machine did not come with the Windows 10 Media, what steps do I need to take before
    I install the new drive and install windows.

• Where do I get the Windows 10 install
    • What steps are needed to create an Install disk
    • Do I have to deactivate my old install before removing the old drive.
    Please let me know if there are any other considerations.

Best Regards,

Wes

WesKlatt, Aug 7, 2019
  4. Can I remove windows from an old SSD so that I can use it as a storage drive instead?

What is Storage Sense? And how would it handle SSDs and/or Hard Drives?

There is a new Windows 10 feature that was added in the Creator's Update. It's called
    Storage Sense. It is accessed by going to the Settings UWP app, under the System menu, and in the Storage list item.

I couldn't find any more information about Storage Sense, other than it helps with the data stored on your primary and secondary drives, I think?

So I have a few questions:

• What is Storage Sense and what does it really do? Give an explanation as detailed as possible.
    • How would it work on SSDs?
    • How would it work on Hard Drives / Disc Platter Storage Medias?
    • Is it self-aware the user is on SSDs or on Hard Drives?

Thanks.

Tom.Befrugal, Aug 7, 2019
Thema:

Can I remove windows from an old SSD so that I can use it as a storage drive instead?

1. Can I remove windows from an old SSD so that I can use it as a storage drive instead? - Similar Threads - remove old SSD

2. Unable to remove Network drive so I can remap it for an employee.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to remove Network drive so I can remap it for an employee.: For some reason I cant remove this drive, the P drive. I need to remap it with the correct path. I try to right click and disconnect but it wont let me. Any ideas? 137352
  3. Can I remove a added ssd for storage, and reset laptop to original condition?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can I remove a added ssd for storage, and reset laptop to original condition?: Hi, I hope someone can help? I added an ssd to my Asus laptop and have since reinstalled Windows10. My question is.. can I remove my ssd and reset laptop, and then insert the same ssd once again? Hopefully this is possible. Many thanks....
  4. How can I remove Windows and install Linux instead?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How can I remove Windows and install Linux instead?: How can I remove Windows and install Linux instead? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-remove-windows-and-install-linux-instead/989f3513-f8de-44c0-b5e2-4d3ad079ef3f
  5. SSD Compatibility - can I use this type of SSD?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD Compatibility - can I use this type of SSD?: Hi I was hoping to purchase a Samsung 860 EVO M.2 SATA 1TB SSD for my Laptop alongside the current HDD however, I was just wanting to confirm whether the SSD is in fact compatible. I am 99% sure that it is I just want to make sure prior to buying it. Images of the M.2 slot...
  6. How can I remove old microsoft accounts?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How can I remove old microsoft accounts?: How can I remove old microsoft accounts? I don't know how many I have. Some have @live.com, or hotmail.com etc.. Is there some place that lists all of them and lets me manage (remove ones no longer needed). Thanks * Moved from Insider...
  7. Can I remove this fictitious drive ?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Can I remove this fictitious drive ?: I installed PowerISO 2 days ago. I used it to burn an iso. Now its presence becomes permanent in my File Explorer. Is there a way to remove it ? Do I have to uninstall it if I want to remove it from File Explorer ? Thank you. [img] 42321
  8. How can I stop my SSD drive from showing as a Removable drive?

How can I stop my SSD drive from showing as a Removable drive?: When I use the "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" icon/tool, to remove a USB stick, my internal SSD drive shows as a choice to be removed. How can I get the SSD off this list? In Device Manager, under Disk Drives, looking at the SSD drive's properties there is no...
  9. Can I use UEFI instead of BIOS for memtest?

Can I use UEFI instead of BIOS for memtest?: Hi I'm going to follow this tutorial to do a memtest86 MemTest86+ - Test RAM BSOD Tutorials Is it OK to use this tutorial and boot to UEFI instead? Boot to UEFI Firmware Settings from inside Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials By the way I don't know what bios vs uefi...
  10. What can I use instead of rubbing alcohol to remove thermal paste?

in Windows 10 Support
    What can I use instead of rubbing alcohol to remove thermal paste?: Is it absolutely necessary to use rubbing (isopropyl alcohol)? Can't I just use a wipe/napkin or something else? Is there any harm in just applying the new paste without removing the old one? 85954