Windows 10: Can I remove Windows from hard disk and use bootable USB?

Discus and support Can I remove Windows from hard disk and use bootable USB? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey... My computer is very low on memory and most of it is taken by windows. Can I completely remove windows from my computer and use only a bootable... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Anne693, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Anne693 Win User

Can I remove Windows from hard disk and use bootable USB?

Hey...

My computer is very low on memory and most of it is taken by windows. Can I completely remove windows from my computer and use only a bootable USB to run the OS in order to free some space on hard disk?

Windows version: 1909 (18363.1016)

:)

Anne693, Aug 28, 2020
  2. Agility Win User

Multi-bootable USB

Hey guys from TPU, couldn't find any specific thread pertaining to the question asked on title. As mentioned, I'm trying to create a bootable USB, but with many specifics boots available.

I've been trying to create one with multiple boot device including one that enables me to run Windows 10 directly on the USB Thumb Drive but to no avail.

The list of bootable images i'm trying to create are

1. Windows 10 (A full OS running from thumb drive)
    2. Windows 10 ISO (Bootable disk image for fresh install)
    3. MemTest86+

Have tried YUMI or UUI from the website USB PenDrive Linux but as this is my first time, i don't know how am i screwing up or am doing it right.. Anyone got a rough idea on a step by step guide? Thanks!

Agility, Aug 29, 2020
  3. Bootable USB with ISO - What am I missing?

I am trying to install win7 from a USB. I set the USB to be first boot and it finds it, but wont install the iso.

I have tried ...

However when I get to bootsect it does not do anything .. says it is not a recognized internal command ...

Is there something I am missing? I even tried just loading the iso on the USB and booting, but did not work either

Is there an easier way?

copenhagen69, Aug 29, 2020
  4. thraxed Win User

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Aug 29, 2020
Thema:

1. Can I remove Windows from hard disk and use bootable USB? - Similar Threads - remove hard disk

2. usb recovery disk removed windows 10 OS from hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    usb recovery disk removed windows 10 OS from hard drive: I booted from my USB recovery disk and chose the option to do a clean install. After it completed, I removed the USB recovery disk and restarted the PC, but now it only says "An operating system wasn't found." White letters on black screen. I tried a second time, but now...
  3. Is my hard disk bootable?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is my hard disk bootable?: Hello I wanted to set up my computer again and have made my hard disk bootable via the Mediacreationtool at least it should be bootable but I can not boot from the hard disk I have a relatively old pc and therefore an old Bios and find the hard disk not I can insert a few...
  4. Installing windows from a bootable USB

Installing windows from a bootable USB: I have just finished putting together my new PC and I am struggling to install windows. I am using a Macbook to make my bootable USB. I have tried using a bootable USB made with Bootcamp assistant - the USB came up in bios but it would not boot into the windows install...
  5. Can I use all of 5TB Hard Disk with Windows 10?

Can I use all of 5TB Hard Disk with Windows 10?: Hi folks, My 5 y-o Desktop pc with Win 7 is becoming decidedly slow and getting the odd freeze-up, etc. Despite being a long-term fan of Win 7, I've fallen out of love with it, so rather than re-install Win 7, I have decided to move the desktop pc over to Win 10 and I have...
  6. Can I use all of 5TB Hard Disk with Windows 10?

Can I use all of 5TB Hard Disk with Windows 10?: Hi folks, My 5 y-o Desktop pc with Win 7 is becoming decidedly slow and getting the odd freeze-up, etc. Despite being a long-term fan of Win 7, I've fallen out of love with it, so rather than re-install Win 7, I have decided to move the desktop pc over to Win 10 and I have...
  7. Can I use a bootable USB that has windows 10 so I can store data on it?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I use a bootable USB that has windows 10 so I can store data on it?: Can I store data on a bootable windows 10 USB? submitted by /u/DontDare6 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/flb8kg/can_i_use_a_bootable_usb_that_has_windows_10_so_i/
  8. format External USB hard disk before you can use it.

format External USB hard disk before you can use it.: I have an Icybox USB3 external hard drive box, which worked fine until recently. The box has no drivers to install, it uses the ones supplied by Microsoft with Windows. It worked fine with Windows 8, it worked fine with windows 10 when I did the upgrade. I was able to...
  9. Clean installaton - Can a hard drive infect the bootable usb?

Clean installaton - Can a hard drive infect the bootable usb?: Hi everyone I'm new to the forums *Smile , I'm not knowledgable with computers and the like so please don't mind me asking this question. I soon will be installing a clean installation of windows 10 on one of my computers (and doing a clean installation for the first time...
  10. Can I upgrade using a bootable USB instead of using Windows Update?

Can I upgrade using a bootable USB instead of using Windows Update?: I don't know why, but I can't seem to upgrade to Windows 10 using Windows Update. The installation just doesn't happen, and whenever I go to the update history all "Upgrade to Windows 10 Home" entries show as unsuccessfull. So what I did was create a bootable USB with...