Windows 10: Can I remove Windows from hard disk and use bootable USB?

Discus and support Can I remove Windows from hard disk and use bootable USB? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey... My computer is very low on memory and most of it is taken by windows. Can I completely remove windows from my computer and use only a bootable... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Anne693, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Anne693 Win User

Can I remove Windows from hard disk and use bootable USB?

Hey...

My computer is very low on memory and most of it is taken by windows. Can I completely remove windows from my computer and use only a bootable USB to run the OS in order to free some space on hard disk?

Windows version: 1909 (18363.1016)

:)

Anne693, Aug 28, 2020
  2. Agility Win User

Multi-bootable USB

Hey guys from TPU, couldn't find any specific thread pertaining to the question asked on title. As mentioned, I'm trying to create a bootable USB, but with many specifics boots available.

I've been trying to create one with multiple boot device including one that enables me to run Windows 10 directly on the USB Thumb Drive but to no avail.

The list of bootable images i'm trying to create are

1. Windows 10 (A full OS running from thumb drive)
    2. Windows 10 ISO (Bootable disk image for fresh install)
    3. MemTest86+

Have tried YUMI or UUI from the website USB PenDrive Linux but as this is my first time, i don't know how am i screwing up or am doing it right.. Anyone got a rough idea on a step by step guide? Thanks!

Agility, Aug 29, 2020
  3. Bootable USB with ISO - What am I missing?

I am trying to install win7 from a USB. I set the USB to be first boot and it finds it, but wont install the iso.

I have tried ...

However when I get to bootsect it does not do anything .. says it is not a recognized internal command ...

Is there something I am missing? I even tried just loading the iso on the USB and booting, but did not work either

Is there an easier way?

copenhagen69, Aug 29, 2020
  4. thraxed Win User

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Aug 29, 2020
Thema:

1. Can I remove Windows from hard disk and use bootable USB? - Similar Threads - remove hard disk

2. How can I create a bootable usb of windows 11 and use it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I create a bootable usb of windows 11 and use it?: So I've deleted an important system file and making a bootable drive of windows 11 will fix it. How can I make one and how can I use it to reinstall a new copy of windows 11. I have a product key active currently aswell when I use the bootable drive will the product key...
  3. How can I create a bootable usb of windows 11 and use it?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I create a bootable usb of windows 11 and use it?: So I've deleted an important system file and making a bootable drive of windows 11 will fix it. How can I make one and how can I use it to reinstall a new copy of windows 11. I have a product key active currently aswell when I use the bootable drive will the product key...
  4. can i create a bootable usb using only a partition of it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can i create a bootable usb using only a partition of it?: I have a 64 gig usb and i want to install tiny11 on my pc. I downloaded the iso file 3.6gig and i want to create a bootable usb using rufus. However there are some files on the usb i want to keep and i can't transfer them elsewhere. Can I create a new partition and use rufus...
  5. can i create a bootable usb using only a partition of it?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can i create a bootable usb using only a partition of it?: I have a 64 gig usb and i want to install tiny11 on my pc. I downloaded the iso file 3.6gig and i want to create a bootable usb using rufus. However there are some files on the usb i want to keep and i can't transfer them elsewhere. Can I create a new partition and use rufus...
  6. can i create a bootable usb using only a partition of it?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. No reset disk. Can I use USB?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    No reset disk. Can I use USB?: I bought my laptop off of Facebook bad idea, I see now i did not get the reset disk with it. I only got the laptop and that was it. Can I use a SD card and download the create a reset disk and put it into my USB drive and download it that way, with out another laptop? Or do I...
  8. usb recovery disk removed windows 10 OS from hard drive

usb recovery disk removed windows 10 OS from hard drive: I booted from my USB recovery disk and chose the option to do a clean install. After it completed, I removed the USB recovery disk and restarted the PC, but now it only says "An operating system wasn't found." White letters on black screen. I tried a second time, but now...
  9. Is my hard disk bootable?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is my hard disk bootable?: Hello I wanted to set up my computer again and have made my hard disk bootable via the Mediacreationtool at least it should be bootable but I can not boot from the hard disk I have a relatively old pc and therefore an old Bios and find the hard disk not I can insert a few...
  10. Can I upgrade using a bootable USB instead of using Windows Update?

Can I upgrade using a bootable USB instead of using Windows Update?: I don't know why, but I can't seem to upgrade to Windows 10 using Windows Update. The installation just doesn't happen, and whenever I go to the update history all "Upgrade to Windows 10 Home" entries show as unsuccessfull. So what I did was create a bootable USB with...