Windows 10: Can i rename a User without losing anything?

Discus and support Can i rename a User without losing anything? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Finally build my gaming rig, was careless and signed in windows with my email on installation, now my user is named after the 5 first letters of my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Santoryu_Zoro, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Can i rename a User without losing anything?

Finally build my gaming rig, was careless and signed in windows with my email on installation, now my user is named after the 5 first letters of my email and i noticed it too late.

Is there a way to rename it? Obviously i dont want to format/delete user since i got 5+tb of files/software/games installed on my drives.

submitted by /u/Santoryu_Zoro
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Santoryu_Zoro, Jun 15, 2020

2. Renaming the users folders

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

You are trying to rename the User folder, which can’t be done through the File explorer. Whatever user name you use of your User account, user account folder will have same name. You can rename the Subfolder of the User account folder but not User
    account folder.

If you want rename the User account folder, change user account name using the suggestion

Lets’ refer to these steps to rename the User account and check if that helps.

• Press Windows and X keys together.
    • Click on Control Panel, click on User Accounts.
    • Click on User account, then click on “Change your account name
    • If it’s prompting for password please enter and click on Yes. If you do not have password click on
      Yes.
    • Enter the new user name.
    • Click on change name.

Reference link for more information.

Windows 8 User Folder Rename.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...r-rename/3364a356-bf93-4e5c-8fcb-67850e837d6b

Please do let us know if you need further help.

Mohammed Yaseer, Jun 15, 2020
  3. Arul_D Win User
    I can't rename my user account

Hello Owen,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

• Are you using a Microsoft account or local account?
    If you are using local account, I suggest you to follow the below steps to change the user name.

Please follow the steps to rename the user account in Windows 10.

a. In the search box, type user accounts and click on User Accounts.

b. Click on “Change your account name”

c. If it’s prompting for password please enter and click on Yes. If you do not have password click on Yes.

d. Enter the new user name.

e. Click on change name.

If you face any more issues while working with Windows do post on Microsoft Community Forum.

Arul_D, Jun 15, 2020
  4. Ruz San Win User

Can i rename a User without losing anything?

How to delete and rename users

Hi Mark,

Before we can help you rename the new user account on your computer, please answer these questions for us to get a better understanding of the situation since you performed a clean installation of Windows 10:

• When you boot up your computer, do you see the original user account available for you to sign in to?
    • Is the new user account an administrator?
    Doing a clean installation of Windows 10 involves formatting your hard drive. Therefore, your files in the old user account, including the user account itself, would be wiped clean. It may not be a clean installation if the files are still on your computer.

To proceed with renaming the new user account, let's first make sure it is set as an administrator on your computer. Follow these steps to check if it is:

• Sign in to the old user account (Mark).
    • Go to Control Panel.
    • Open User Accounts.
    • Click on Manage another account.
    • Check whether it says the new user account (Mark_2) is an
      Administrator
    • If it's not yet an administrator, click on the account and select Change the account type.
    • Choose Administrator then apply the changes.
    Once the account is already an administrator, we can now delete the old user account. Here's how:

• Sign in to the new user account (Mark_2).
    • Go to Control Panel.
    • Open User Accounts.
    • Click on Manage another account.
    • Select the old user account (Mark).
    • Click on Delete the account.
    • You can opt to Delete Files for the old user account.
    • Restart your computer.
    To rename the new user account, follow these steps:

• Right-click on the Windows icon on your home screen.
    • Select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Click Yes if you get a prompt window.
    • Type wmic useraccount where "name='Mark_2' " rename Mark then press
      Enter.

Let us know if you need more help.

Ruz San, Jun 15, 2020
Thema:

Can i rename a User without losing anything?

1. Can i rename a User without losing anything? - Similar Threads - rename User without

2. Can I unplug an m.2 SSD and plug it back in without losing anything?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I unplug an m.2 SSD and plug it back in without losing anything?: Sorry if my question is phrased oddly but to explain some, I have an SB-ROCKET-NVME4-1TB running as my C drive currently and have been using it for a while now but I'm doing some upgrades and I realized I didn't put a heatsink on when I was installing it. So with PC off...
  3. Can I unplug an m.2 SSD and plug it back in without losing anything?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I unplug an m.2 SSD and plug it back in without losing anything?: Sorry if my question is phrased oddly but to explain some, I have an SB-ROCKET-NVME4-1TB running as my C drive currently and have been using it for a while now but I'm doing some upgrades and I realized I didn't put a heatsink on when I was installing it. So with PC off...
  4. Can I unplug an m.2 SSD and plug it back in without losing anything?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Can I repair my pc without losing anything?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I repair my pc without losing anything?: So my pc is completely screwed and nothing works no commands in command prompt will work, safe mode gives me blue screen and auto repair wont ever work so I want to know if its possible to repaid my computer without losing any type of files downloaded apps, photos, videos,...
  6. Can I repair my pc without losing anything?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I repair my pc without losing anything?: So my pc is completely screwed and nothing works no commands in command prompt will work, safe mode gives me blue screen and auto repair wont ever work so I want to know if its possible to repaid my computer without losing any type of files downloaded apps, photos, videos,...
  7. Can I repair my pc without losing anything?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. i need to instal w10 1909 without losing anything

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    i need to instal w10 1909 without losing anything: i have w10 2004 but the game forza horizon 4 dont work, the only thing i can do is go back to 1909, i know i have to download the iso with ruffus, but what should i do to keep all my archives and programs? thanks for read and sorry for bad english submitted by /u/isma_fdc...
  9. How can I rename the user folder?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I rename the user folder?: submitted by /u/AarooNHuN [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/f4q517/how_can_i_rename_the_user_folder/
  10. How can I rename the user folder without breaking anything?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can I rename the user folder without breaking anything?: So when i bought my computer it was a refurbished dell inspiron and they made the username user. I did the thing where you search the username and then click rename but the location for the user folder and anything that goes into it is still user. I tried doing the thing...