Windows 10: Can I Reset Default View for All Folders?

Discus and support Can I Reset Default View for All Folders? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Dumb question? I've been looking for the answer for over a year! I'd like all folders to open with "Medium Icons" by default. I'm still stuck changing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jmrathbun, Mar 22, 2021.

1. jmrathbun Win User

Can I Reset Default View for All Folders?

Dumb question? I've been looking for the answer for over a year!

I'd like all folders to open with "Medium Icons" by default. I'm still stuck changing the View to that setting every time I look into a folder I haven't used recently or have just created. Surely I'm missing something?

Windows Home 10.0.19042

:)

jmrathbun, Mar 22, 2021

2. Custom Folder view for new folders registery hack ?

Te new folder has default view of LIST

I want DETAILS

When making new system ... it's a pain in ass changing always.

RuskiSnajper, Mar 22, 2021
  3. mrgeek Win User
    Change Folder View Layout in Windows 10

"uhm that method does not work. i want to set folder view as List as default instead Details for all folders"
    Did you download and run Brink's .bat file in Step 1 ? Lacking that, look at the screens in post 3. In Step 5 'folders of this type' defaults to each of the Windows templates for Pictures, Music, etc. If you want ALL folders to have the same List view, r-click any folder in each of the 5 folders under This PC (Desktop does not apply) and hit 'Customize this folder'. Set to 'Optimize this folder for General Items". Then follow the screen in post 3 using List instead of Details in Step 1 and you should be good to go.

mrgeek, Mar 22, 2021
  4. ineuw Win User

How to Change the Group by View of a Folder in Windows 10 tutorial

The delay to reply was unrelated to this topic. I was preparing to add a disc drive. The preferred view is working now, and here is the step by step list of what I did, and it includes an additional step at the end. I also rebooted after each step.

1. Reset all views to default.
    2. Rebooted.
    3. Changed the "My Pc" view to Details and set the "Group By" to [None]. But left everything else at default.
    4. Rebooted.
    5. "My Pc" view retained the selected setting, alphabetically ordered "Details" without grouping.
    6. Switched to Drive C:\, set it to "Details" and changed the column order to "Name, Size Type and Date". Grouping is available but not applied by the default settings.
    7. Rebooted.
    8. "My Pc" lost the settings, reverted to "Tile" and "Group by" was active again.
    9. Reconfigured to "Details" and set the "Group By" to [None].
    10. Rebooted.
    11. "My Pc" view retained the selected settings. Alphabetically ordered "Details" without grouping.

ineuw, Mar 22, 2021
Thema:

1. Can I Reset Default View for All Folders? - Similar Threads - Reset Default View

2. Viewing all folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Viewing all folders: How do I view all folders on the left hand side using Version 16005.14326.20970.0?Also, how I can get the folder list to stay on the left so I can still see my reading pane?...
  3. Viewing all folders

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Viewing all folders: How do I view all folders on the left hand side using Version 16005.14326.20970.0?Also, how I can get the folder list to stay on the left so I can still see my reading pane?...
  4. Can I change the default view?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can I change the default view?: I finally decided to change from a Windows 7 style start menu about a year ago and learn the 'new' style start menu. I realized it wasn't a big leap and actually have come to like it. I just installed windows 10 ver 2004 build 19041.508. Now my start menu looks like a...
  5. Default Folder View

in Windows 10 Support
    Default Folder View: I want to Set a default Folder View for all folders. I get the instruction: 1. Open File Explorer by using key combination Windows Key + E and navigate to the folder you want to use as a source for view layout setting. Where is that folder? I don't care if they are General...
  6. Default Folder Views

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default Folder Views: Hi, could someone explain why the default for most folders and subfolders is the Icon view and why its so hard change that view to something else permanently? For instance My Pictures, you can right click My Pictures / customize / "optimize this folder for general items"...
  7. Set Default Folder View for all Folders in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Set Default Folder View for all Folders in Windows 10: How to: Set Default Folder View for all Folders in Windows 10 How to Set a Default Folder View for All Folders in Windows 10 [img] Information While browsing folders in File Explorer, you can apply the view settings of the current folder to all folders on your PC that...
  8. How to make list view default for all folders?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to make list view default for all folders?: I've tried the "Apply to folders" button in the options menu, but it does not work, newly opened folders still open with "details" view... :/ Is there another way to make "list" view the default setting for all the folders? thanks for the help 73262
  9. Reset Folder View Settings to Default in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Reset Folder View Settings to Default in Windows 10: How to: Reset Folder View Settings to Default in Windows 10 How to Reset Folder View Settings to Default in Windows 10 In Windows, you can change the File Explorer window size, layout view of items in your folders to how you like. This tutorial will show you how to...
  10. Default Folder View?

in Windows 10 Support
    Default Folder View?: Is there a way to globally change the Default Folder View? I've used Folder Options | View | Apply to Folders a few times, but it only seems to stick on folders I've opened. 9521