Windows 10: can i restore my harddrive files to prior to win10 install?

Discus and support can i restore my harddrive files to prior to win10 install? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; my son accidentally installed win 10 and wiped out my harddive. Can I restore my files from my harddrive ? 51129 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by bknapp614, May 22, 2016.

1. bknapp614 Win User

can i restore my harddrive files to prior to win10 install?

my son accidentally installed win 10 and wiped out my harddive. Can I restore my files from my harddrive ?

:)

bknapp614, May 22, 2016
  2. Logharay Win User

Activation Key recovery

Hullo,

I had a windows 7 activation key and upgraded to win 10 successfully and it was activated but the box with it got destroyed in a fire and can not install a fresh windows 10 on the new hard drive because it asks me for the activation key and i couldn't view
    it in win10 prior to the harddisk failure on the same computer. What can You advise i do?? Because win10 installation on the faulty harddrive is flawless but Installing the same windows10 on a new harddrive is impossible.

Can you please help??

Thanks

Paul

Logharay, May 22, 2016
  3. Fresh Install win10

I have 2 computers, both upgraded to win10. Both registered. One of my computers has a failed harddrive, So i need to replace it and add another harddrive. Do I have to buy a win10 to install, or can i reinstall win10 on that computer?

And if i can reinstall, how?

computertech82, May 22, 2016
  4. RolandJS Win User

If you have no recently made OS and data [partitions?] backups, you might be in for a long uphill climb. Does W10 offer a button to revert back to the previous Windows? If you had your stuff within Libraries/My Documents area, I'm hoping the revert will work, and bring back your earlier Libraries/My Documents area [along with your data].
    It's possible the more Windows is running, the more over-writing may be happening. Perhaps wait for others who just might have good ideas for you.

RolandJS, May 22, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, May 22, 2016
  6. LMiller7 Win User
    If your files are important to you they need to have at least one backup copy, 2 or more backup copies for files of particular importance. Backups should be made when all is well as after an incident may be too late. Data recovery is often problematic and cannot be relied on.

LMiller7, May 22, 2016
  7. Wullail Win User
    Did he wipe it , or was it an upgrade? , is there a windows.old folder anywhere?

Wullail, May 22, 2016
  8. bknapp614 Win User

It was an upgrade ...from the pop up that was coming up in the bottom right corner

bknapp614, May 22, 2016
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    That should not have wiped the hard drive and your user account and all the files in it should have been preserved and carried forward into Windows 10 as well as any programs/apps you had installed.

NavyLCDR, May 22, 2016
  10. bknapp614 Win User
    All my folders are empty? Pictures are gone? Neat receipts are empty? Any suggestions where everything would be stored?
    Thank you

bknapp614, May 23, 2016
  11. John035 Win User
    It looks like the drive not wiped , you can roll back to your previous windows or recovery your image backup if you backup. Your files will be find . If it doesn't work , put the hard drive in another computer then use recovery tool , if the partition has been deleted, I think you can refer to this and most software should be able to handle that case too.

John035, May 23, 2016
  12. You have 28 days to roll back the upgrade (tutorial says 31 days ... but I state 28 days to be safe)

See: Windows 10 - Go Back to Previous Windows

Slartybart, May 23, 2016
  13. bknapp614 Win User

i searched for windows.old and no matches in file explorer? should i search somewhere else?
    when you install win 10 is there an option to format the drive that he may have selected?
    Thank you so much

bknapp614, May 24, 2016
  14. Show hidden files (explorer options - view tab) might help

The upgrade process requires a running OS, so I doubt that he initially performed a Clean install (wiping the drive) - that would require some technical skills.

see post# 3 and post# 10

Slartybart, May 24, 2016
  15. RolandJS Win User
    A very real concern, I can relate! Because folder/file recovery using usb or dvd Puppy Linux or WinPE boot with attached external HD -- consider finding a local computer guru who can walk you through the necessary steps, or do them for you, and perhaps you can recover the folders/files.

RolandJS, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. can i restore my harddrive files to prior to win10 install? - Similar Threads - restore harddrive files

2. can I restore a deleted file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can I restore a deleted file: Can I restore a deleted file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-restore-a-deleted-file/5ca358d9-0954-412d-968c-171a734d1138
  3. can I restore a deleted file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can I restore a deleted file: Can I restore a deleted file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-restore-a-deleted-file/5ca358d9-0954-412d-968c-171a734d1138
  4. Can I install my Windows 11 with an old key on a new motherboard due to the prior...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I install my Windows 11 with an old key on a new motherboard due to the prior...: I built a PC and was able to install Windows 11. After an Windows 11 and BIOS update my screen remained blank after I powered on my PC. I was told from the manufacturer that it's corrupt and they'll exchange it since it's under warranty. Can I use the key on the new...
  5. I think the win10 recovery utility killed my harddrive.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I think the win10 recovery utility killed my harddrive.: So I was having issues with my computer not booting up, and I used the automatic recovery utility that comes up when windows 10 fails to boot properly. Ran a ckcdsk and it replaced a bunch of files so I thought "cool maybe that was it" and booted up again. This time I got a...
  6. Is there a backup software that can restore installed files?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a backup software that can restore installed files?: I'm looking for something similar to time machine on mac that backs everything up and restores everything to a new computer in the exact location as the last one. I performed a back up on windows 10 but it really only backed up my files and I still had to manually reinstall...
  7. Win10 32 & 64 bit installed on one harddrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win10 32 & 64 bit installed on one harddrive: My 16bit CAD program does run on win10 32 bit partition. Have setup the system for dual boot and wondering if I can run the CAD program from my win10 64 bit shortcut with a script?...
  8. Prior Restore Point

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Prior Restore Point: I am wanting to take my computer back to a previous date, how can I do this? The only restore date that comes up is for today. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/prior-restore-point/f83e66ca-4457-468e-87f3-0659003b27a7
  9. How to restore computer prior to yesterdat?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to restore computer prior to yesterdat?: Have no e-mail, g==mail or facebook accts https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-restore-computer-prior-to-yesterdat/c025691a-f4f2-4ef7-a3d2-b7e1e28eda8d
  10. I have an issue of restoring corrupt files in Win10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    I have an issue of restoring corrupt files in Win10: Hello! I have an issue of restoring corrupt files in Win10. So, the image I have: Code: PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:E:\sources\install.wim /index:1 Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool Version: 10.0.14393.0...