Windows 10: Can I retain Pinned files in Taskbar jump List, while removing Recent files?

Discus and support Can I retain Pinned files in Taskbar jump List, while removing Recent files? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I would like to keep certain files pinned to a jump list on icons on the task bar--but I don't want to see the Recent files that also populate the jump... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Paul Rittman, May 20, 2022.

1. Can I retain Pinned files in Taskbar jump List, while removing Recent files?

I would like to keep certain files pinned to a jump list on icons on the task bar--but I don't want to see the Recent files that also populate the jump list. Is there a way to remove those Recent files? FWIW I just updated to Windows 11 beta 22621.1.

:)

Paul Rittman, May 20, 2022

2. Recent File List

that's all off already dude lol, I'm really surprised there is no fix for the recent files list/MRU in the file menu of programs haha

I appreciate the help, MS really needs to implement a Group Policy or a string that can do that for all programs installed

eidairaman1, May 20, 2022
  3. slozomby Win User
    Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, May 20, 2022
  4. Can I retain Pinned files in Taskbar jump List, while removing Recent files?

Pinned Office Files do not Stay Pinned; No Recent Files List; [Jump Lists]

I ran into a problem again recently when I was helping set up a coworker's workspace.

Right-clicking on office programs in the Task Bar (for me) always shows my recently opened files and files I have pinned there. His weren't showing recent files at all. He could pin files, but they dropped off the list once they were closed.

I searched the web and found MANY unanswered question posts about this. I'm hoping this might help someone. If anything, it will help me the next time I forget.

The feature that allows you to see those recent and pinned files is called Jump Lists. I don't know if it was the admins at our company or if it is off by default, but Jump Lists were turned off. If you are having this issue on your work computer, your first
    step is to make sure Jump Lists are turned on.

You can turn on Jump Lists in these settings:

Windows Settings > Personalization > Start > Show recently opened items in Jump Lists on Start or the taskbar (Toggle it On).

You could also just search for Jump within the start menu to get to these settings.

DerrekJames, May 20, 2022
Thema:

Can I retain Pinned files in Taskbar jump List, while removing Recent files?

1. Can I retain Pinned files in Taskbar jump List, while removing Recent files? - Similar Threads - retain Pinned files

2. Pin Files to Recent File List in Taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pin Files to Recent File List in Taskbar: Previously, as in all previous versions of Windows I was able to pin files to an application's recent file list in the taskbar. I could right-click on the app icon to bring up the list, and my pinned files would be at the top. Click on the file name and it and the app would...
  3. Pin Files to Recent File List in Taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pin Files to Recent File List in Taskbar: Previously, as in all previous versions of Windows I was able to pin files to an application's recent file list in the taskbar. I could right-click on the app icon to bring up the list, and my pinned files would be at the top. Click on the file name and it and the app would...
  4. Can I retain Pinned files in Taskbar jump List, while removing Recent files?

Can I retain Pinned files in Taskbar jump List, while removing Recent files?: I would like to keep certain files pinned to a jump list on icons on the task bar--but I don't want to see the Recent files that also populate the jump list. Is there a way to remove those Recent files? FWIW I just updated to Windows 11 beta 22621.1....
  5. Pin Files to Jump List on Taskbar Items by Dragging?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pin Files to Jump List on Taskbar Items by Dragging?: I just got a new Windows 11 laptop. With Windows 10, I was able to drag folders onto icons on taskbar for programs that could open them--for instance, I could drag PDF files onto the icon for Acrobat PDF DC Reader, and make a jump list. So far with Windows 10, I have only...
  6. Pin Files to Jump List on Taskbar Items by Dragging?

Pin Files to Jump List on Taskbar Items by Dragging?: I just got a new Windows 11 laptop. With Windows 10, I was able to drag folders onto icons on taskbar for programs that could open them--for instance, I could drag PDF files onto the icon for Acrobat PDF DC Reader, and make a jump list. So far with Windows 10, I have only...
  7. Pinned Office Files do not Stay Pinned; No Recent Files List; [Jump Lists]

in Windows 10 Customization
    Pinned Office Files do not Stay Pinned; No Recent Files List; [Jump Lists]: I ran into a problem again recently when I was helping set up a coworker's workspace. Right-clicking on office programs in the Task Bar for me always shows my recently opened files and files I have pinned there. His weren't showing recent files at all. He could pin files,...
  8. I have lost the recent files in my jump lists.

in Windows 10 Customization
    I have lost the recent files in my jump lists.: I have tried all the most common help topics for this. Settings, Start, Set to show recent files. Even added a line to registry. Nothing is working. I am a tax accountant and haven't kept up with the inner workings of my computer, so when I am told to go to "%appdata% I...
  9. Taskbar Jump List Files Slow to Open

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Taskbar Jump List Files Slow to Open: If I click on an app pinned to the taskbar it loads straight away. If I right click the app and click on a pinned file it takes 20 secs to load the app....
  10. Add Recent Places/Folders to File Explorer taskbar Jump List

in Windows 10 Support
    Add Recent Places/Folders to File Explorer taskbar Jump List: I've read almost all the threads related to this subject. I would like the right-click jump list on the file explorer icon in the taskbar to show a Recent Folders section. I don't want Frequent Folders. I don't want Recent Files I'm not trying to pin "Recent...