Windows 10: Can I reuse a retail windows 10 usb stick on a new computer?

Discus and support Can I reuse a retail windows 10 usb stick on a new computer? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi it's time to upgrade my pc and have been looking around the internet for an answer to my question. I have seen alot of mixed answers so im at the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Addysrall, May 19, 2022.

1. Addysrall Win User

Can I reuse a retail windows 10 usb stick on a new computer?

Hi it's time to upgrade my pc and have been looking around the internet for an answer to my question. I have seen alot of mixed answers so im at the moment confused. I bought a windows 10 retail usb stick a while ago and have confirmed it's retail and not OEM and have seen that you can reuse it again. But does this also work with the Product key or is it only the installation?

:)

Addysrall, May 19, 2022

2. Windows 10 retail USB installation stick

Is there a way to obtain a new firmware image tool for the Windows 10 retail USB installation stick to update it to build 14393? This USB stick is firmware locked in read-only mode and contains the original build 10240.

KeithWeisshar, May 19, 2022
  3. thraxed Win User
    Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, May 19, 2022
  4. Can I reuse a retail windows 10 usb stick on a new computer?

Windows 10 USB boot

Hi there, am not a windows 10 expert. I have a pc in the bedroom on windows 10, I messed up the bootloader trying to fix the xp on that system.

System wont boot, trying to repair via win 10 usb installer.

Downloaded the media creation tool to install windows 10 installer on usb stick. Not compatible with a host of usb sticks I have. Tried the usb sticks that others use, but I think they use rufus; as the media creation tool by win 10 does not detect the usb stick.

So quick question, the win10 machine i am trying to repair the bootloader is a win7 upgraded to win10.
    If i were to use the usb win10 installer to "repair installation" does the version of the iso downloaded via the media creation tool matter?

There is three options:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 N

Also is there a step by step instead of using rufus as I want to try an alternative method of creating a usb win 10 installer. Preferably with more compatibility.

System is a asus sabertooth 990 (r2?) with AMD phenom X 6.

Also is there any other software I can load onto the usb that can repair the bootloader easily?
    That would be the ideal alternative. Thanks

TRUELOVE95, May 19, 2022
Thema:

Can I reuse a retail windows 10 usb stick on a new computer?

1. Can I reuse a retail windows 10 usb stick on a new computer? - Similar Threads - reuse retail usb

2. Replacing Windows 10 retail license with OEM to reuse the retail license on new build

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Replacing Windows 10 retail license with OEM to reuse the retail license on new build: I built a Windows 10 PC several years ago and purchased a retail license. Now that PC cannot be updated to Windows 11. Can I purchase a Windows 10 OEM license and remove the retail license from this PC and install the OEM license without doing a complete reinstall? I would...
  3. Replacing Windows 10 retail license with OEM to reuse the retail license on new build

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Replacing Windows 10 retail license with OEM to reuse the retail license on new build: I built a Windows 10 PC several years ago and purchased a retail license. Now that PC cannot be updated to Windows 11. Can I purchase a Windows 10 OEM license and remove the retail license from this PC and install the OEM license without doing a complete reinstall? I would...
  4. Replacing Windows 10 retail license with OEM to reuse the retail license on new build

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can I reuse a retail windows 10 usb stick on a new computer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I reuse a retail windows 10 usb stick on a new computer?: Hi it's time to upgrade my pc and have been looking around the internet for an answer to my question. I have seen alot of mixed answers so im at the moment confused. I bought a windows 10 retail usb stick a while ago and have confirmed it's retail and not OEM and have seen...
  6. Can I reuse a retail windows 10 usb stick on a new computer?

Can I reuse a retail windows 10 usb stick on a new computer?: Hi it's time to upgrade my pc and have been looking around the internet for an answer to my question. I have seen alot of mixed answers so im at the moment confused. I bought a windows 10 retail usb stick a while ago and have confirmed it's retail and not OEM and have seen...
  7. Windows 10 retail license reuse on new hardware

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 retail license reuse on new hardware: Hi,I have a retail license at least the commandline tool says so for Windows 10 that was originally a Windows 7 license that benefitted from the free upgrade that was possible some time ago. I still have the sticker with Windows 7 product key. I don't currently see the old...
  8. Windows 10 retail license reuse on new hardware

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 retail license reuse on new hardware: Hi,I have a retail license at least the commandline tool says so for Windows 10 that was originally a Windows 7 license that benefitted from the free upgrade that was possible some time ago. I still have the sticker with Windows 7 product key. I don't currently see the old...
  9. Windows 10 retail license reuse on new hardware

10. Windows 10 Retail USB Stick

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Retail USB Stick: Why does the retail boxed version of Windows 10 still have build 10240? After installing the retail version from the bundled USB drive I still have to download a 3.5 GB update to build 10586 every time I reinstall from this read-only USB drive. 42736