Windows 10: Can I revert to a local account if I am unable to sign into my Microsoft Account?

Discus and support Can I revert to a local account if I am unable to sign into my Microsoft Account? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I forgot the password to my Microsoft Account which I was using to sign into my laptop! I was wondering if it is possible to revert to a local account... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Arthur Durand, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Can I revert to a local account if I am unable to sign into my Microsoft Account?

I forgot the password to my Microsoft Account which I was using to sign into my laptop!

I was wondering if it is possible to revert to a local account without having to sign into the Microsoft Account instead of using elevated Command Prompt to create a new local user account with administrative privileges and transfer all my personal files to the new local account?

Any advice in this regard would be much appreciated!

:)

Arthur Durand, Sep 28, 2018
  2. CSMR(2) Win User

Signing into Onenote app converts local account to microsoft account

Steps:

• Sign into a local account
    • Open the OneNote app (tablet not desktop app)
    • Sign in to this app with a Microsoft account
    The local account is then converted into a Microsoft account with that identity.

This is wrong and unexpected behaviour as no indication is given that the sign in is for the whole of windows rather than just OneNote.

It is also hard to revert.

I am guessing that other apps may exhibit the same behaviour.

In fact I don't understand how an app (which is supposed to be sandboxed and secure) can change user account information.

CSMR(2), Sep 28, 2018
  3. sign into microsoft account glitch

Hi Micheal,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

• Is this the only account on the computer?
    • Was this account upgraded from previous version of Windows?

It looks like you are using a local account. I suggest you follow these steps:

• Click on search in taskbar and type account.
    • Click on Accounts.
    • Now, under Your account, click on Sign in with Microsoft account instead.
    • Enter your Local account password for confirmation and then follow the screen instruction.
    • Enter User name credentials for your the new Microsoft account and click OK.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Waseemulla S, Sep 28, 2018
  4. Can I revert to a local account if I am unable to sign into my Microsoft Account?

Local account installation question

I'm fairly certain that Skip this step was available in 10.0.130 - the workaround in Step 20 (back button) is no longer required.

The currently known, as of 10.0.130, ways to create a Local account sign-in are
    • Skip this step at the MS account creation phase
    • No Internet connection during the install
    • static IP (post# 2 by Fragment) - New (to me anyway)

Slartybart, Sep 28, 2018
Thema:

Can I revert to a local account if I am unable to sign into my Microsoft Account?

1. Can I revert to a local account if I am unable to sign into my Microsoft Account? - Similar Threads - revert local account

2. WHY AM I UNABLE TO SIGN IN TO MY MICROSOFT SUDOKU ACCOUNT?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WHY AM I UNABLE TO SIGN IN TO MY MICROSOFT SUDOKU ACCOUNT?: I HAVE CHECKED FOR UPDATES AND TRIED REPAIRING THE APP. I HAVE ALSO UNINSTALLED AND REINSTALLED. I CAN SIGN IN TO XBOX AND MY OTHER MICROSOFT GAMES. IT IS LIKE THE SERVER IS NOT WORKING PROPERLY....
  3. WHY AM I UNABLE TO SIGN IN TO MY MICROSOFT SUDOKU ACCOUNT?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WHY AM I UNABLE TO SIGN IN TO MY MICROSOFT SUDOKU ACCOUNT?: I HAVE CHECKED FOR UPDATES AND TRIED REPAIRING THE APP. I HAVE ALSO UNINSTALLED AND REINSTALLED. I CAN SIGN IN TO XBOX AND MY OTHER MICROSOFT GAMES. IT IS LIKE THE SERVER IS NOT WORKING PROPERLY....
  4. I am unable to sign in my windows account.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am unable to sign in my windows account.: I recently reset my system and after that I am not able to sign into Microsoft account. I restarted, shut down my computer but nothing worked out. It shows "Oops, something went wrongWhatever happened, it was probably our fault. Please try again."Need help to resolve this...
  5. I am unable to sign in my windows account.

I am unable to sign in my windows account.: I recently reset my system and after that I am not able to sign into Microsoft account. I restarted, shut down my computer but nothing worked out. It shows "Oops, something went wrongWhatever happened, it was probably our fault. Please try again."Need help to resolve this...
  6. I signed into Local account from Microsoft account and now I can't link my local account to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I signed into Local account from Microsoft account and now I can't link my local account to...: Hello everyone,My issue started when my Onedrive was no longer syncing with my Microsoft account. The Onedrive seemed to have been deleted from my account and I tried various solutions to reinstall and link it again. Although I was able to re-download it, I wasn't able to...
  7. I signed into Local account from Microsoft account and now I can't link my local account to...

I signed into Local account from Microsoft account and now I can't link my local account to...: Hello everyone,My issue started when my Onedrive was no longer syncing with my Microsoft account. The Onedrive seemed to have been deleted from my account and I tried various solutions to reinstall and link it again. Although I was able to re-download it, I wasn't able to...
  8. Can I sign in with a Microsoft account and keep my local account?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Can I sign in with a Microsoft account and keep my local account?: Or will it at least let me merge the two/keep my settings and files from my local account? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-sign-in-with-a-microsoft-account-and-keep-my/5303135f-073a-4f4d-91ed-5f4deb347fd2
  9. Signed in with a local account, unable to switch to Microsoft account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Signed in with a local account, unable to switch to Microsoft account: I switched my account to a local account and that seemed to mess up my Outlook app. I clicked Fix account, nothing happens. I try to sign in with Microsoft account in settings, a screen comes up and disappears immediately....
  10. Unable to revert Microsoft Account back to a Local Account ("sign in with a local account...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to revert Microsoft Account back to a Local Account ("sign in with a local account...: So my little brother wanted to buy Minecraft for Windows 10. His computer was set up with a single local administrator account and remained local up to this point. The Store requires you to sign in to a Microsoft account to buy stuff, so I did that with his Microsoft account...