Windows 10: Can I run a game installed to an external HDD on 2+ PCs?

Discus and support Can I run a game installed to an external HDD on 2+ PCs? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hi. I have installed a game to an external HDD via the Windows Store on my laptop. I want to then plug the HDD into my desktop and play the game... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by nitrogentanks, Nov 30, 2019.

1. Can I run a game installed to an external HDD on 2+ PCs?

Hi.

I have installed a game to an external HDD via the Windows Store on my laptop.

I want to then plug the HDD into my desktop and play the game there off the same external HDD.

Using the same Microsoft account, is the laptop-installed game desktop playable, and is there something I must do to enable it to work? E.g. set library location on the desktop.

For context: I have a limited mobile data internet connection, and use my parent's landline connection for the rare big download. To transfer a 40 GB game to my home I need to download it as above and play it via external HDD, made viable by USB 3.1. The only issue with that is finnicky DRM making the transfer of software a convoluted process.

Cheers.

:)

nitrogentanks, Nov 30, 2019

2. external HDD

Hi,

Usually, this problem occur due to software incompatibility or corrupted USB drivers. For us to better assist you, we would like to clarify the following:

• Have you made any recent changes on your computer prior to the issue?
    • Which driver did you uninstall? Have you reinstall the driver? If yes, how did you reinstall the driver?
    • Have you check if the external HDD is visible in Device Manager?

If the issue still persists after uninstalling some games, we suggest that you run the troubleshooter for hardware and devices. If you're using the latest Windows 10 version, follow these steps on how to run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter:

• Click the Start button and select the Settings
      icon.
    • Choose Update & Security from the list.
    • Click Troubleshoot in the left pane of the window.
    • Under Find and fix other problems, select Hardware and Devices and click
      Run the troubleshooter.

We're looking forward to your reply.

Gerard Qui, Nov 30, 2019
  3. installing a game

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.
    We regret the inconvenience caused to you.

Please try the steps given below and check if the issue persists:

Step 1:

I suggest you to right click on the game and try to run as administrator and check.

Step 2: if that doesn't help I suggest you to install game in compatibility mode and check:

Follow the steps below on how to install game in compatibility mode:

1. Download the game from the manufacturer’s website and save it on your local disk.

2. Right click on the setup file of the game and select “Properties”.

3. Select “Compatibility” Tab.

4. Place a check mark next to “Run this program in Compatibility mode” and select operating system from the drop down list.

5. Let the game install and then check the functionality.

Hope this helps.

Thank you.

Venkatesh1709, Nov 30, 2019
  4. niko084 Win User

Can I run a game installed to an external HDD on 2+ PCs?

Insurgency wont install and run for me....

I have played and have fully updated CS and Half life 2....
    I am using the newest client and installed the SDK.

I am completely blown away, if i click the desktop icon it starts the sdk and then closes, and it doesn't show up in my game list...

First mod attempt install here, followed the directions step by step on the mods website...

Any ideas?

niko084, Nov 30, 2019
Thema:

Can I run a game installed to an external HDD on 2+ PCs?

1. Can I run a game installed to an external HDD on 2+ PCs? - Similar Threads - run game installed

2. Can I use software installed on a SSD external drive on two different PCs?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I use software installed on a SSD external drive on two different PCs?: I wonder if it is possible to install and run software from an external ssd, on two different computers. Not at same time, but the same external harddrive. Will that work? And what about single-licensed software installed with serialnumber. Will that work on one of them,...
  3. 2 games on 2 pcs at the same time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    2 games on 2 pcs at the same time: I have one Microsoft account, can my son play Minecrat on pc at the same time my other son plays call of duty on a different pc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/2-games-on-2-pcs-at-the-same-time/d64e1846-ca66-4756-9f55-7eb3e2b4cf1a
  4. i have 2 PCs running off of one key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    i have 2 PCs running off of one key: i used a windows 8 OEM key from a old device to activate my copy of windows 10 the old pc never got deactivated though. however isn't a key only supposed to work for one device?...
  5. Can a sync program sync external HDD to external HDD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can a sync program sync external HDD to external HDD?: I keep all important data on external HDD and periodically wish to synchronize this dats with another external HDD. Is this at all possible especially because drive letters themselves change depending on the PC/laptop that you attach them to and the order in which you attach...
  6. Can a sync program sync external HDD to external HDD?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can a sync program sync external HDD to external HDD?: I keep all important data on external HDD and periodically wish to synchronize this dats with another external HDD. Is this at all possible especially because drive letters themselves change depending on the PC/laptop that you attach them to and the order in which you attach...
  7. How can I install Windows 10 on a external hdd

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I install Windows 10 on a external hdd: I'm running a Linux system and I'm looking to install Windows 10 on a external hard drive. submitted by /u/Ron_999 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gvr5m3/how_can_i_install_windows_10_on_a_external_hdd/
  8. Can not install window 10 from external HDD

Can not install window 10 from external HDD: Dear all I try in stall windows 10 from externall HDD, but my PC show the massage as the below. My PC is Lenovo Ideapad C340. What should I do?[IMG]...
  9. Run computer on external HDD to RAID two internal HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Run computer on external HDD to RAID two internal HDD: Hey guys, I'm new to ten forums but I've been on seven forums for a while but upgraded. Here is my issue I want to mirror one of my internal HDDs to my external HDD. Then I want to run my computer off of the external HDD so I can RAID my only two internal HDDs. Then...
  10. Clean install on 2 PCs

Clean install on 2 PCs: I have 2 PCs. PC1 has W10 Home, PC2 has W10 Pro. Both came from retail Win7 licenses. I am changing the CPU and mobo in PC1. I also want to do clean installs on both PCs, to refresh them. But I want to put my W10 Pro license on PC1 and put W10 Home on PC2 . 1. What do I need...