Windows 10: can I run a jar file using a JRE downloaded with minecraft?

Discus and support can I run a jar file using a JRE downloaded with minecraft? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hi I have a strange question. So minecraft no longer requires that you install java to play it. How this works is it downloads a a JRE to you computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by CreeperKing, Jul 13, 2019.

1. can I run a jar file using a JRE downloaded with minecraft?

Hi I have a strange question. So minecraft no longer requires that you install java to play it. How this works is it downloads a a JRE to you computer that it uses to run the game. Anyways, there is a map viewer tool that can be used to locate things in your world and it it written in java. So I was wondering if it would be possible to run it with the JRE downloaded with minecraft so I don't have to install java. You can download the tool as a jar file. Also in order to run a server you need to download the minecraft server.jar. So, can I run a jar file using the JRE downloaded with minecraft?

:)

CreeperKing, Jul 13, 2019

2. JRE and .jar confusion

Hello,

I was trying to open a .jar file but I only got a lading circle. I then went to Execute.jar file won't work and now I can't open the file or work
    at all with java files. I reset the default program for .jar files. Is this enough to undo any damage I may have caused by following the article, or do I need to reset the location of teh jre as well? How would I do that for windows? Btw, I know how to set
    it in netbeans and eclipse and can still run .java files (but not jar files) in these programs.

I hope this makes sense, but if it doesn't let me know and I'll try to re-explain this.

Thanks

Moved from: (Windows 10 / Windows settings / PC)

Nycchessmaster, Jul 13, 2019
  3. Roharashraj™, Jul 13, 2019
  4. can I run a jar file using a JRE downloaded with minecraft?

Java .jar file is not downloaded as a java file.

Have you tried the second solution?

"Open the Settings app. Navigate to the System > Default apps.

Scroll all the way down and select Choose default apps by file type.

Locate the .jar file type and choose a default application.

This method offers limited options and you can only choose applications recognized by Windows 10. Fortunately, there’s another method that you can try. To change file associations, do the following:

Press Windows Key + X to open Win + X menu and choose Control Panel from the list.

When Control Panel opens, select Default Programs.

Click on Associate a file type or protocol with a program.

Locate the .jar file on the list and double-click it.

A list of suggested applications will appear. Click on More apps.

Scroll all the way down and choose Look for another app on this PC.

Locate the javaw.exe file. By default, the application should be located in Program Files folder. Select the application and choose it as a default for .jar files.

Optional: Some users recommend changing the parameters of javaw.exe. To do that, simply locate the file and create its shortcut. Right-click it and navigate to the Properties. Now, locate the Target file and add -jar “%1” % . Be sure to select this newly created
    shortcut in Step 7.

You can also change file association by right clicking the jar file and choosing Open With > Choose another app. After doing that, follow the steps 5 to 8 from the above"

DouglasMillar69, Jul 13, 2019
Thema:

can I run a jar file using a JRE downloaded with minecraft?

1. can I run a jar file using a JRE downloaded with minecraft? - Similar Threads - run jar file

2. windows 10 .jar files not running

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 10 .jar files not running: In Windows 10, I'm trying to upgrade the firmware for my Celestron Telescope controller. The Celestron Firmware Manager software comes as a .jar file. How can I run this program? When I launch it, Windows asks "How do you want to run this file?" and nothing seems to work....
  3. windows 10 .jar files not running

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windows 10 .jar files not running: In Windows 10, I'm trying to upgrade the firmware for my Celestron Telescope controller. The Celestron Firmware Manager software comes as a .jar file. How can I run this program? When I launch it, Windows asks "How do you want to run this file?" and nothing seems to work....
  4. windows 10 .jar files not running

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Jar files won't run properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Jar files won't run properly: I have a Jar file that I'd like to run in Java. When I go to default apps, there is a few different options:javaw.exe javaws.exe javacpl.exejava.exejavarmi.exeHowever all of these when I try to run the file, just open the Java Control PanelThere is also two Java Folders,...
  6. Jar files won't run properly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Jar files won't run properly: I have a Jar file that I'd like to run in Java. When I go to default apps, there is a few different options:javaw.exe javaws.exe javacpl.exejava.exejavarmi.exeHowever all of these when I try to run the file, just open the Java Control PanelThere is also two Java Folders,...
  7. Can't download .jar files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't download .jar files: I'm trying to download OptiFine and Forge for Minecraft and you download them using .jar files, but when I press download it brings me to a page saying that the server IP for adfoc.us can't be found. I don't know if this is because of the firewall or if it's something else....
  8. Java .jar file is not downloaded as a java file.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Java .jar file is not downloaded as a java file.: I like playing Minecraft, and I like to play with friends. So I tried to download the sever.jar file and it downloaded a download but, when I wnt to open this file it brought me to internet explorer manage download files page. It asked me if I wanted to save, open, or save...
  9. Java .jar file is not downloaded as a java file.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Java .jar file is not downloaded as a java file.: I like playing Minecraft, and I like to play with friends. So I tried to download the sever.jar file and it downloaded a download but, when I wnt to open this file it brought me to internet explorer manage download files page. It asked me if I wanted to save, open, or save...
  10. Some .exe and .jar files wont run.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Some .exe and .jar files wont run.: First i got Minecraft.jar which works at school but not at home it keeps on saying what do you want to use to run this. Then i got infiniminer.exe tried to run it and the same thing happened. Please help....