Windows 10: Can i run windows 10 on an external drive?

Discus and support Can i run windows 10 on an external drive? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I’m trying to find out if its possible to boot windows 10 from an external drive on a laptop that has windows 10 already installed on an internal... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/J_MareQ, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Can i run windows 10 on an external drive?

I’m trying to find out if its possible to boot windows 10 from an external drive on a laptop that has windows 10 already installed on an internal drive? Basically, my laptop has windows 10. But i installed windows 10 on an external drive so i can use it on my MacBook. Unfortunately i cant get through the setup process once i launch windows on Mac because it doesn’t have drivers that support the trackpad and keyboard and i dont have a Bluetooth keyboard. That’s why i want to complete the setup process on my Windows laptop, install the necessary software and then plug the external drive back into the Mac to use windows on it.

Is that possible?

submitted by /u/J_MareQ
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/J_MareQ, Jun 28, 2020

2. External drive

Hi Richard,

There are several factors that can cause your external drive to not read DVDs even though the system is recognizing the device. This could be caused by a driver that needs to updated or corrupted files. For us to resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions
    below:

• Just to confirm, the device that is not working properly is a external DVD optical drive?
    • Were there any recent changes or updates installed on your computer?
    • Have you tried to plug the external drive to a different port on your computer?

As a initial recommendation, we suggest that your run the built in troubleshooter in Windows 10. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the Search bar and press Enter.
    • Click on “View All” in the top left corner.
    • This will display the list of troubleshooters which are built-in in the computer. You can click on
      Hardware and Devices from the list and you can run the troubleshooter.

This will check for common errors that affect hardware on your computer and attempts to correct them.

We look forward to your response after completing the steps.

Jordan Dom, Jun 28, 2020
  3. Monk.e83 Win User
    Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

DTS supported natively by Windows 8/8.1 and it should work on windows 10 too just DDL require to unlock your driver .

Monk.e83, Jun 28, 2020
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Can i run windows 10 on an external drive?

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jun 28, 2020
Thema:

Can i run windows 10 on an external drive?

1. Can i run windows 10 on an external drive? - Similar Threads - run external drive

2. External drive always running

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External drive always running: The LEDs on an external drive TerraMaster D2-310 RAID1 indicate that it is being read continuously, although Performance Monitor shows no read or write operations on that virtual drive. How can this be? If a drive is being read by a system service, will it show up in...
  3. External drive always running

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External drive always running: The LEDs on an external drive TerraMaster D2-310 RAID1 indicate that it is being read continuously, although Performance Monitor shows no read or write operations on that virtual drive. How can this be? If a drive is being read by a system service, will it show up in...
  4. Can I run Windows 10 on external SSD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I run Windows 10 on external SSD?: My current hard drive is 4GB and recently I have bought a new external SSD to speed up my laptop. I was wondering if I can install Windows 10 on my external SSD?...
  5. Can I run Windows 10 on external SSD?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I run Windows 10 on external SSD?: My current hard drive is 4GB and recently I have bought a new external SSD to speed up my laptop. I was wondering if I can install Windows 10 on my external SSD?...
  6. Can I run Windows 10 on external SSD?

7. Boot and Run Windows 7 (external drive) in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Boot and Run Windows 7 (external drive) in Windows 10: Hello, I had an older Win 7 machine which started to experience hardware issues (Asus motherboard). I removed the hard drive hoping to be able to boot from it on a new computer Win 10. I put it in a hard drive Esata to USB3 case. I changed to boot sequence to Legacy...
  8. Can I connect external drives to new computer with windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can I connect external drives to new computer with windows 10: I am new to Windows 10 (64bit) and need your guidance. I got some external drives (USB 2) two of them needed installation with CD which I got and one can be connected directly. I have been using them on Windows Vista without any problem. As my important data is saved on...
  9. Can I connect external drives to new computer with windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Can I connect external drives to new computer with windows 10: I am new to Windows 10 (64bit) and need your guidance. I got some external drives (USB 2) two of them needed installation with CD which I got and one can be connected directly. I have been using them on Windows Vista without any problem. As my important data is saved on...
  10. Can not run executable files from external drive in Windows 10

Can not run executable files from external drive in Windows 10: Hi everyone, I am having an issue. It is nothing really more of an annoyance. After recent Anniversary Update for windows 10. I could not run any executables files straight from any external devices. However, I could view, delete, copy, cut those files just fine. At first...